Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

djtech42

macrumors 65816
Jun 23, 2012
Mason, OH
I was really looking forward to the design of Yosemite after seeing screenshots of it. After I installed it, I realized how horrible it looks (for now at least). The design could have been executed in a much better way in certain apps and places in the system. For the first time, I am somewhat dreading upgrading to the next version of OS X.

azentropy

macrumors 601
Jul 19, 2002
Surprise
Surprised here we are with b4 already and the fonts still look crappy. Maybe they look good on a retina screen, but on my 21.5" iMac and my Mac Pro with a 27" display they look really bad.

grahamperrin

macrumors 601
Jun 8, 2007
Title bars and addresses: gone. Customer: gone.

For me, one of the worst aspects of Yosemite is the partial abandonment of title bars.

I hope to see title bars used properly in the next seeded build.

As 14A298i arrives, I depart.

Most aspects of Yosemite are beautiful, but I'm a user of addresses, title bars, titles, proxy icons and so on.

Apple is spoiling for me the app that I loved and used the most: Safari. Alternatives? Nightly builds of WebKit were not usable with 14A283o … and I guess that eventually, the GUI of WebKit.app will be forced to share some of the same flaws as Safari 8.

Some of the design precedents associated with Safari in Yosemite are unacceptable to me. Abandoning the title bar; obscuring basic information such as addresses … user interface inconsistencies … such things make it less easy to use an Apple OS on Mac hardware.

Farewell, OS X.

It will surely succeed, but it's no longer the OS for me and the sooner I settle on alternatives, the less painful it will be.

https://twitter.com/grahamperrin/status/491410338097934336

https://alpha.app.net/grahamperrin/post/35065550 – at the beginning of that thread, please note that my primary concern was not the look of OS X …

bobbydaz

macrumors regular
Jan 24, 2009
UK
As 14A298i arrives, I depart.

Most aspects of Yosemite are beautiful, but I'm a user of addresses, title bars, titles, proxy icons and so on.

Apple is spoiling for me the app that I loved and used the most: Safari. Alternatives? Nightly builds of WebKit were not usable with 14A283o … and I guess that eventually, the GUI of WebKit.app will be forced to share some of the same flaws as Safari 8.

Some of the design precedents associated with Safari in Yosemite are unacceptable to me. Abandoning the title bar; obscuring basic information such as addresses … user interface inconsistencies … such things make it less easy to use an Apple OS on Mac hardware.

Farewell, OS X.

It will surely succeed, but it's no longer the OS for me and the sooner I settle on alternatives, the less painful it will be.

https://twitter.com/grahamperrin/status/491410338097934336

https://alpha.app.net/grahamperrin/post/35065550 – at the beginning of that thread, please note that my primary concern was not the look of OS X …

would you really drop an OS just because no title bars in Safari, whats the big deal??

smartalic34

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2006
USA
I guess Apple isn't going to update the hard drive/firewire/usb/time machine drive icons that appear on the desktop. They seem a little out of place to me, now that everything else has gone flat...

MarsViolet

macrumors 6502
Mar 6, 2003
Well put.

Let me save you the wait.

• Yosemite will launch on the App store (free) in the fall alongside iOS 8
  • The majority of the tech press will laud the design and features, especially Continuity/Handoff
  • Yosemite will be the fastest adopted release of OS X ever
  • Like iOS 7, the over-critical tech geek population will cry endlessly about design direction and Apple's apparent failure to innovate while mainstream consumers upgrade and don't think twice about it
  • Somewhere on a forum near you, some guy will be whining and claiming that they're staying on Snow Leopard because Apple is "doomed"

Of course, considering what Apple’s users have devolved to become, Apple could make iOS and OS X look and act like Windows 3 and this same exact scenario would take place. It’s pretty sad.

----------

So you're taking the posts of a small minority of Mac users on a site where complaints are by nature 100x more common and using that to reflect upon Apple as a whole? Are you in Congress?

The FACTS are that Apple's customer satisfaction rating has gone higher each year, outpacing everyone else in the industry. PC World, Laptop Magazine, JD Power, and others have shown the same results. If anything, Apple's gaining MORE traction rather than less traction with consumers. As for your iOS7 claims, the numbers once again prove you wrong. At WWDC this year, 87% of iOS users were running iOS7, once again proving that your opinion is lacking in factual evidence to support your claims.

What's worse about your post is that you seem to be saying "I hate it because so many people are complaining." rather than any actual evaluation of the products themselves. You're like the Business Insider guys that write content just to get page views without offering any logical, rational, of factually-based observations.

The problem is that consumers don’t do anything with their computers. They have no demands other than pretty and shiny. As Apple focuses more and more on this market segment, to the detriment of professional users, their customer satisfaction ratings naturally go higher.

goMac

Contributor
Apr 15, 2004
Ive's Apple doesn't work this way, unfortunately. They'll give everyone the same font.

Problem here is simple: What if you have a machine with both a retina and non-retina display? Apps can't respond to font changes between displays. Not only is the entire system and all apps not built to deal with that, but the spacing changes in text could dramatically shift things as you move windows between displays.

Dilster3k

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2014
I embrace the evolution of the OS. Yet I did appreciate the depth of detail that went into the realistic design of the UI with a mix of the "Aqua" elements. I'll need to get used to this new design philosophy and I do wish they had taken a different design approach a few years back with iOS 7.

ooninay

macrumors member
Mar 19, 2009
Toronto
My biggest complaint about Yosemite is the default wallpaper (the only one in OS X's history that I truly dislike) so I guess I'm pretty happy with the UI changes. I have some minor reservations, but I like the changes I like more than I dislike the changes I don't like.

coldjeanzzz

macrumors 6502a
Nov 4, 2012
I haven't run Yosemite personally yet, but for anyone who has on a Macbook Air can you say if the font on the official Twitter app is comparable to the font of the general OS? Helvetica Neue actually looks pretty decent on my MBA running Mavericks and looks better than the screenshots I've seen of other people running Yosemite on a MBA. My worry is that it looked really jagged and unsmooth on Yosemite, but if it looks identical to how it is on the Twitter app on Mavericks I may actually not have a problem with the font.

Mackilroy

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2006
The problem is that consumers don’t do anything with their computers. They have no demands other than pretty and shiny. As Apple focuses more and more on this market segment, to the detriment of professional users, their customer satisfaction ratings naturally go higher
Translated: they don't do what I do, therefore what they do is not worth catering to.

Mtmspa

Suspended
May 13, 2013
Whiners are gonna whine and haters gonna hate. If you don't like it, use Windows 8 and quit complaining because we don't care.

orestes1984

macrumors 65816
Jun 10, 2005
Australia
It's just not professional looking.

Let me end this discussion, right here, right now. The iMac was just not a professional look...
imac-g3.jpg

The iBook was just not a professional look.

Clamshell_iBook_G3.jpg

The Blue and White G3 was just not a professional look.

tut1s6ohmRkMZqAC.large

Aqua was just not a professional look

Macosxpb.png

Do you see what I'm saying? :rolleyes: If you want a professional look buy a ThinkPad, or a ThinkStation from Lenovo. If you just want to complain, we here you, and we don't care. Get it? Apple does not care what you think as you do not represent the product they are selling.

If you still want to complain, sit down and watch this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQFKtI6gn9Y

People have been complaining about Apple not having a professional look every time since Apple stopped making beige and black boxes. Your argument is old and no one cares what you think anymore, we've heard it ever since 1997. There are adults who were 1 year old when people like you started complaining about the direction Steve Jobbs and Johny Ives were taking Apple in. Yes I read those complaints when they first introduced the iMac and PowerBook in MacWorld magazine way back in the late 90s well before this forum existed.

You are resoundingly wrong. Apple has never once had a professional look since 1997.... And if you want that kind of professional look go buy a can of Pepsi off of John Sculley. Apple never has and never will be competitive in terms of professional looks. They are out stripped 10 to 1 in terms of workstations with professional looks in reality, Apple doesn't know how to do professional looks nor should they.

Professional looks are not what Apple does. If you want to live your life in a straight jacket then buy yourself a workstation running Windows 8 and leave everyone else who wants to buy a Mac alone.

--> The door is that way, don't let it hit your arse on the way out...

Last edited:

MartinAppleGuy

macrumors 68020
Sep 27, 2013
Let me end this discussion, right here, right now. The iMac was just not a professional look...

The iBook was just not a professional look.

The Blue and White G3 was just not a professional look.

Aqua was just not a professional look

Do you see what I'm saying? :rolleyes: If you want a professional look buy a ThinkPad, or a ThinkStation from Lenovo. If you just want to complain, we here you, and we don't care. Get it? Apple does not care what you think as you do not represent the product they are selling.

If you still want to complain, sit down and watch this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQFKtI6gn9Y

People have been complaining about Apple not having a professional look every time since Apple stopped making beige and black boxes. Your argument is old and no one cares what you think anymore, we've heard it ever since 1997. There are adults who were 1 year old when people like you started complaining about the direction Steve Jobbs and Johny Ives were taking Apple in. Yes I read those complaints when they first introduced the iMac and PowerBook in MacWorld magazine way back in the late 90s well before this forum existed.

You are resoundingly wrong. Apple has never once had a professional look since 1997.... And if you want that kind of professional look go buy a can of Pepsi off of John Sculley. Apple never has and never will be competitive in terms of professional looks. They are out stripped 10 to 1 in terms of workstations with professional looks in reality, Apple doesn't know how to do professional looks nor should they.

Professional looks are not what Apple does. If you want to live your life in a straight jacket then buy yourself a workstation running Windows 8 and leave everyone else who wants to buy a Mac alone.

--> The door is that way, don't let it hit your arse on the way out...

La Mac Pro:

Attachments

• New-Mac-Pro-Is-Actually-Cost-Efficient-Thanks-To-AMD.jpg
    New-Mac-Pro-Is-Actually-Cost-Efficient-Thanks-To-AMD.jpg
    556.9 KB · Views: 289

blanka

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2012
  • At least Apple MUST come with an option to disable ALL translucency. Not only for the menu bar.
  • Ditch the default wallpaper please. Use the booting-grey. It'll do. As at least 50% of Mac users can't change wallpapers, please keep this annoying image from this world.
  • Include the sRGB profile in all OS PNG's, not AdobeRGB. Now all colours seem over saturated and clipping to sRGB boundaries.
  • Kill the Finder smiley icon. Come with a boring SSD chip or something like that. The Finder Smiley had always been debatable, this incarnation is too much. It's face is just like cheap Lego clone mini-figs.

orestes1984

macrumors 65816
Jun 10, 2005
Australia
  • At least Apple MUST come with an option to disable ALL translucency. Not only for the menu bar.
  • Ditch the default wallpaper please. Use the booting-grey. It'll do. As at least 50% of Mac users can't change wallpapers, please keep this annoying image from this world.
  • Include the sRGB profile in all OS PNG's, not AdobeRGB. Now all colours seem over saturated and clipping to sRGB boundaries.
  • Kill the Finder smiley icon. Come with a boring SSD chip or something like that. The Finder Smiley had always been debatable, this incarnation is too much. It's face is just like cheap Lego clone mini-figs.

Your suggestions have been done already

1217710102.or.81061.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.