Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Swiss watchmaker Swatch Group today denied a recent report that it was working with Apple to develop a smartwatch product, reports Reuters. VentureBeat first reported this joint venture, citing an unnamed source with knowledge of Apple's plans.

A spokeswoman for Swatch told Reuters that the Apple rumor was "unfounded," adding that Swatch's only relationship with mobile phone manufacturers, including Apple, is as a supplier of internal electronic circuitry and other smaller components. Swatch Chief Executive Nick Hayek reiterated in an interview with Reuters that "he was not interested in teaming up with a tech group to develop a smartwatch."

swatch-logo.jpeg
The original VentureBeat rumor claimed Swatch and possibly Timex would build a smartwatch based on Apple's iWatch specifications. These third-party manufacturers would release their watches alongside Apple's own iWatch, providing "a family of smart watches to suit all tastes "from geek to chic."

This type of agreement would be unusual for Swatch, whose CEO has publicly expressed skepticism about the future success of the iWatch, saying he doesn't believe "it's the next revolution." Earlier reports also indicate that Apple is working alone on the iWatch, hiring a variety of medical, fitness and fashion experts to help develop the wearable product.

Apple is rumored to unveil its wearable device later this year with reports indicating it will be available in different materials and at various price points in order to appeal to a range of consumers. The smartband may have a fitness focus with sensors that measure vitals such oxygen saturation, hydration status and heart rate. This data may then be shared with iOS 8's new Health app in order to generate a comprehensive health profile for the user.

Article Link: Swatch Denies Report It Is Working With Apple on iWatch Wearable

Dilster3k

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2014
I called this out on the previous report. Something about this did not feel right, there's nothing wrong with the Swatch brand, yet I do feel their products are too kid-like.

newdeal

macrumors 68030
Oct 21, 2009
I don't for a second think that Apple would team with anyone to make hardware unless it was just to licence their name. That wouldn't happen with Swatch, more likely with Rolex or a super high end brand (like the blackberry phone that is co branded with Porsche)

furqan8421

macrumors regular
Jun 27, 2007
Other than branding what reason would Rolex and Apple have to team up together? I'm not a huge watch person, but isn't the whole point of "Swiss made watch movement" negated by having an electronic watch?

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
I called this out on the previous report. Something about this did not feel right, there's nothing wrong with the Swatch brand, yet I do feel their products are too kid-like.

Yes but look at all the watches the Swatch group own:

Breguet, Harry Winston, Blancpain, Glashütte Original, Jaquet Droz, Léon Hatot, Omega, Longines, Rado, Union Glashütte, Tissot, Balmain, Certina, Mido, Hamilton; Calvin Klein watches + jewelry.

The 'Swatch' is just the absolute basic range.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
A while back someone who previously worked at Apple tweeted that Apple was collaborating with Italian watchmaker Panerai. But the tweet a was deleted a day later.

Tiger8

macrumors 68020
May 23, 2011
Why the swatch hate?

I am a watch guy but I personally don't own and never owned one, I just don't see why so many people have such negative perception of Swatch. What swatch did in the late 80s and early 90s revolutionalized the industry; before them it was your grandpa's metal band (maybe leather) watches, or your geeky Casio watch-calculator (remember those)?

Swatch made watches colorful, liberating, and a fashion statement. Colorful plastic watches made a comeback via various brands over the past couple of years.

Nozuka

macrumors 68040
Jul 3, 2012
Other than branding what reason would Rolex and Apple have to team up together? I'm not a huge watch person, but isn't the whole point of "Swiss made watch movement" negated by having an electronic watch?

this is very true. unless you find a way to combine the two of them.

for example: when the display is turned off, you can see the "normal" watch hands under it.

but with current technology this would get very bulky.

madsci954

macrumors 68030
Oct 14, 2011
Ohio
We have no [censored] clue what Apple is doing, and we're pulling ideas out from out behinds. So please don't take us seriously.

-what every analyst thinks but will never say

Four oF NINE

macrumors 68000
Sep 28, 2011
Hell's Kitchen
How many of you will be lining up for this watch? I understand it hasn't been announced, but are any of you committed to buying this sight unseen?

roow110

macrumors regular
Jul 1, 2011
Swatch Chief Executive Nick Hayek reiterated in an interview with Reuters that "he was not interested in teaming up with a tech group to develop a smartwatch."

I say those are carefully chosen words. I have no doubt that Apple would not partner with Swatch to develop a smartwatch, but he didn't rule out the possibility that they were developing something for the iWatch. I say they are developing custom wristbands aka iWatch cases. Then the smartwatch would have cases and opportunities for customization and expression and fashion just as the iPhone does. You could have a Rolex iWatch, a Swatch iWatch or whatever just by switching out the band and encasing.

Apple would still have its elegant and minimal solution, you could wear it "naked" as many iPhone users do. But for people who want the extra protection, or the extra glitz, or the fashion statement or bright colors, they buy a band or a "case" from the trusted watch makers who now become case makers to express their style and brand. Often the movements in watches aren't made by the companies who sell the watches. Many watches already are just the fashion statement that wraps around the movement.

I think Apple is really embracing this self-expression through customization of their product now. Their most recent MacBook Air ad seems evidence enough of this already.

Robert.Walter

macrumors 68040
Jul 10, 2012
"Not interested in teaming up with a tech group to develop a smart watch."

So much specificity in that sentence it becomes more of a clever redirection and less of a denial.

----------

Who needs Swatch? Tag Heuer it is.

Heuer was a great brand before an Arab investor bought them and plastered TAG on the dial.

skwash

macrumors member
Mar 19, 2012
Allowing Swatch (or any other manufacturer) to build an iWatch would be like HP shipping laptops with OS X installed.

Neither would ever happen..

pedromcm.pm

macrumors 6502
Mar 23, 2014
Porto, Portugal

Yes, I only see kids with their swag and omegas. Not.

----------

Allowing Swatch (or any other manufacturer) to build an iWatch would be like HP shipping laptops with OS X installed.

Neither would ever happen..

It's all about partnership. If Apple wants the platform to become mainstream and gain traction, it won't cost more than 1000 $, right? (it will cost much less, but you get the point).

However, watches aren't like phones in the states, where people that can't afford food have iPhones, and people that use those mercedes S class have iPhones too.

There's a lot of money to be made on expensive watches. How will Apple target that market? Those costumers trust their brands, see them as status and aren't interested in anything tech related on their watches.

Partnership. Huge opportunity. Similar to carplay. Who knows.

unplugme71

macrumors 68030
May 20, 2011
Earth
How many of you will be lining up for this watch? I understand it hasn't been announced, but are any of you committed to buying this sight unseen?

Clearly a lot. Have you seen the lines forming outside the Apple store for the undetermined release date? Astonishing!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.