Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Crosscreek

macrumors 68030
Nov 19, 2013
Margarittaville
Since the Mac Pro ditched both pcie expansion and firewire, I doubt the next Mac mini will resurrect it.

Actually Gigabyte sell an Brix Cube Aimed at gamers and power users, cones with an I7-4770R (same as in RMBP 15) with iris pro 5200, it's very small about the size of 2 NUC stacked, if Apple manages to include the power brick inside, it's reasonably an system similar to an Airport Extreme, just a bit slimmer and a bit smaller. Loaded with sane connectivity as the iMac 21: 2 Thunderbolt, 4 usb3, plus one hdmi, and the almost useless sd card reader ( which I avoid since an external is more reliable, specially working with micro sd).

Apple also could offer an fanless Mac mini (which will be very welcome by audiophiles), having an airport extreme like device with an massive passive cooler with fins all around the mini cube.

and after the discussions of last night it is obvious Apple has a hole to be filled between the classic Mini and the Mac Pro.

A Max Mac Mini for people that want expansion and more than the current Mini can handle with a desktop CPU and or graphics card and those of us that can survive with a mobile processor and IGPU.

The Time Capsule Extreme design for the Max Mac Mini and the NUC design for the classic.

talmy

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2009
Oregon
and after the discussions of last night it is obvious Apple has a hole to be filled between the classic Mini and the Mac Pro.

A Max Mac Mini for people that want expansion and more than the current Mini can handle with a desktop CPU and or graphics card and those of us that can survive with a mobile processor and IGPU.

The problem is that people have been asking for this for at least 10 years now (but called the midi Mac Pro rather than the max Mac mini). Apple doesn't see the market, probably because they were burned with the Cube.

koyoot

macrumors 603
Jun 5, 2012
Ive written already on this forum what Im thinking about new Mac Mini.

Quad core 45W TDP Core i5 or i7 desktop processors.
Dual channel SO-DiMM RAM.
Dual Nvidia GPUs.
PCi-Ex SSD.
999$ base price tag.
Assembled in the USA.

Thats what we are looking for right now. All packed in Mac Pro styled cylindrical body.

Ive written already on this forum what Im thinking about new Mac Mini.

Quad core 45W TDP Core i5 or i7 desktop processors.
Dual channel SO-DiMM RAM.
Dual Nvidia GPUs.
PCi-Ex SSD.
999$ base price tag.
Assembled in the USA.

Thats what we are looking for right now. All packed in Mac Pro styled cylindrical body.

I just decided to put together a pc with dual nvidia gpus, making this at least slightly more likely to happen.

Crosscreek

macrumors 68030
Nov 19, 2013
Margarittaville
The problem is that people have been asking for this for at least 10 years now (but called the midi Mac Pro rather than the max Mac mini). Apple doesn't see the market, probably because they were burned with the Cube.

We don't need it anyway because Tim Cook does 80% of his work on the IPad. :)

talmy

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2009
Oregon
We don't need it anyway because Tim Cook does 80% of his work on the IPad. :)

Yes, and the other 20% on (pick one):
  1. A fully decked-out Mac Pro because he can afford it.
  2. A Hackintosh because Apple doesn't built what he needs.
  3. A Dell running Windows 8, hidden in a back room, just because.

G4er?

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2009
Temple, TX

Which was the fault of the internal components not yet having caught up with the size of the case, too slow and too expensive.

fuchsdh

macrumors 68020
Jun 19, 2014
Which was the fault of the internal components not yet having caught up with the size of the case, too slow and too expensive.

True, but doesn't change Apple's ethos necessarily.

What was the real angle of the G4 cube anyhow? I should go back and watch the announce video but I think it's biggest issue is that it *wasn't* positioned as the xMac. It was pricier and worse than a PowerMac G4 (which were the cheapest pro Macs ever) for comparatively little in space saving compared to the difference between a oMac and Mac mini.

Looked at those Brix models, since if I ever wanted to get into PC gaming I couldn't justify the space of a tower. But jeez why are the "gaming" versions instantly uglier, with a splash of garish paint across the bow of the thing? PC design has not advanced in 10 years when it comes to marketing towards gaming enthusiasts.

Looked at those Brix models, since if I ever wanted to get into PC gaming I couldn't justify the space of a tower. But jeez why are the "gaming" versions instantly uglier, with a splash of garish paint across the bow of the thing? PC design has not advanced in 10 years when it comes to marketing towards gaming enthusiasts.

The Brix with an Nvidia 760 looked really promising, but apparently it has gpu thermal throttling issues. Too bad.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hGI8iYjk0rc

G4er?

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2009
Temple, TX

If you are having problems with the way gaming computers are styled for boys try being middle aged (52) and going clothes shopping. Seems every store is only interested in the 30 and under male.

fuchsdh

macrumors 68020
Jun 19, 2014
If you are having problems with the way gaming computers are styled for boys try being middle aged (52) and going clothes shopping. Seems every store is only interested in the 30 and under male.

That's what gets me though. Are boys or adolescents actually buying these? I feel like the market for a lot of these types of things now are aimed at the 30+ males who make up the critical mass of core gamers. Youth is no excuse for this stuff. :p

Igantius

macrumors 65816
Apr 29, 2007

What was the real angle of the G4 cube anyhow? I should go back and watch the announce video but I think it's biggest issue is that it *wasn't* positioned as the xMac. It was pricier and worse than a PowerMac G4 (which were the cheapest pro Macs ever) for comparatively little in space saving compared to the difference between a oMac and Mac mini.

The Cube was intended as a bridge between the iMac and the Power Mac for professional users, but it marketed badly and the price meant it was really poorly positioned as that.

I was working for a Mac magazine as a rather young hack when the Cube launched a little while later, at a European Mac Expo, had interview time with three Apple executives (which was a very different experience to the one I had with the head Microsoft’s Business Unit but that’s another story) and was able to discuss a little about the Cube, specifically how well it was doing. The quote that always sticks in my mind was that “it’s resonating really well with prosumers.”

A major problem was one that you mentioned the price. Although the base model was had a faster processor than the base Power Mac, it was also more expensive as you say and – very importantly – there was the question of the monitor. I felt that the vast majority of people would want a stylish display for such a stylish computer – the beige CRTs that were so prevalent, wouldn’t cut it. When the Cube launched a new CRT also came out (and maybe the LCD ones had a refresh) and when that was added on, the whole cost was about double what an iMac cost. At that price point, it’s going to be tricky getting someone to upgrade from an iMac –either it’s too expensive or they’ll be asking why not get a Power Mac instead. FWIW, going from various feedback and discussions with colleagues, I got the impression that a price a little under the price of a top iMac would have been the spot.

As to being worse than a Power Mac, I’m not so sure. This is anecdotal, but I heard a lot about high end Power Mac professional users opting to use them – I really don’t think power was the issue here. My gut feeling is that the Cube attracted too many Power Mac users and not enough people switching to Apple or upgrading from iMacs.

Marketing was an issue, I don’t think it got across who it was aimed at. I strongly believe that Apple was using a similar approach to the iMac – e.g. magazine ad where the hardware just looks great and people just went ‘Wow! I want one!’ That said, one thing Apple did go on about (this was in the ads and sure Jobs mentioned it in his presentation) was how quiet it was – and this was something that I heard a lot of people enthusing about. I remember having lunch with a few people from a software house and the boss of them had a Cube at work and he absolutely loved it – thought it was a brilliant piece of engineering and he couldn’t get over how quiet it was.

Personally thought, I think the money factor was the most important. Apple did lower the price a fair bit (and I think there might have been two cuts) but thanks to negative publicity (most importantly about the machines overheating and the cases cracking) it was too late. If the final price had been the initial one, I’m pretty sure the Cube would have lasted.

…Looked at those Brix models, since if I ever wanted to get into PC gaming I couldn't justify the space of a tower. But jeez why are the "gaming" versions instantly uglier, with a splash of garish paint across the bow of the thing? PC design has not advanced in 10 years when it comes to marketing towards gaming enthusiasts.

I don’t think that’s something that gamers are concerned about – certainly not an issue that gets raised much on the gaming forums I frequent. Something that has been thrown at Mac users for years is they pay over the odds for prettiness over power and personally, I think an element of that creeps in – making a point about specs, not looks.

That said, I do feel that there is a better choice of the kind of cases these days, then there used to be.

Mago

macrumors 68030
Aug 16, 2011
Beyond the Thunderdome
A gaming capable Mac mini will sell good period.

I just received an rumour on the iMac line, apple will introduce retina display at whole Mac line, including a 28" Thunderbolt Retina Display @ 4K or 5K, and a *pro iMac 28 with 5K display, base 21" iMac will have same res as current 27" model. IMac Pro will come with 6/8 core i7 or Xeon and dual nVidia gpu.

talmy

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2009
Oregon
When the Cube launched a new CRT also came out (and maybe the LCD ones had a refresh) and when that was added on, the whole cost was about double what an iMac cost. At that price point, it’s going to be tricky getting someone to upgrade from an iMac –either it’s too expensive or they’ll be asking why not get a Power Mac instead. FWIW, going from various feedback and discussions with colleagues, I got the impression that a price a little under the price of a top iMac would have been the spot.

[...]
As to being worse than a Power Mac, I’m not so sure. This is anecdotal, but I heard a lot about high end Power Mac professional users opting to use them – I really don’t think power was the issue here. My gut feeling is that the Cube attracted too many Power Mac users and not enough people switching to Apple or upgrading from iMacs.

Marketing was an issue, I don’t think it got across who it was aimed at.

A "maxi Mac mini" would bring back the same issues. The original intent of the Mac mini was to be a gateway into Macs for Windows PC users. They were to attach their existing keyboard/mouse/display. It was never intended to be a power system and the price only makes sense if you already have the peripherals. If you go all-Apple and get the Apple keyboard, Magic Mouse, and 27" Thunderbolt display even the base mini costs almost that of the base 27" iMac, a more powerful system. A "maxi Mac mini" would deliver the same performance but at a much increased cost, and would have the same potential audience as the Mac Pro. It's not going to increase the customer base.

drsox

macrumors 68000
Apr 29, 2011
Xhystos

McGregor ?

----------

A "maxi Mac mini" would bring back the same issues. The original intent of the Mac mini was to be a gateway into Macs for Windows PC users. They were to attach their existing keyboard/mouse/display. It was never intended to be a power system and the price only makes sense if you already have the peripherals. If you go all-Apple and get the Apple keyboard, Magic Mouse, and 27" Thunderbolt display even the base mini costs almost that of the base 27" iMac, a more powerful system. A "maxi Mac mini" would deliver the same performance but at a much increased cost, and would have the same potential audience as the Mac Pro. It's not going to increase the customer base.

Maybe I'm a market of 1 but I want a headless compute server for less than a MacPro. I'm "making do" with an i7 Mini with an 840Pro SSD. No need for a monitor (still have my Win PC monitor - only for setup) and I still have some Apple peripherals from before.

I use this for all the heavy lifting apps that my i7 WinPC used to do.

G4er?

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2009
Temple, TX
McGregor ?

----------

Maybe I'm a market of 1 but I want a headless compute server for less than a MacPro. I'm "making do" with an i7 Mini with an 840Pro SSD. No need for a monitor (still have my Win PC monitor - only for setup) and I still have some Apple peripherals from before.

I use this for all the heavy lifting apps that my i7 WinPC used to do.

Lost me with the McGregor.

MarkusL

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2014

The thing is, I don't want to buy a computer that is fixed to the display when I know the display is going to be perfectly fine many years after I have changed out the computer. I'm not worried about spending more than the cost of a corresponding iMac, since I will save more than that difference the next time I buy a computer but without a new screen.

And in addition to all that, there's the whole issue about being able to select any display I want. You'd be amazed at how much more I would be willing to pay on top of the price of a corresponding iMac just to avoid the glossy screen!

drsox

macrumors 68000
Apr 29, 2011
Xhystos
Lost me with the McGregor.

I always thought this was a US brand. http://www.mcgregor-fashion.com
Maybe it is just trying to look like it is. Most of the "fashion" seems to be attempting to be the Ivy League look - quite irrelevant for Europe.

Yes, they aren't in the US. Lots of countries but not USA/Canada.

Seem to be a bit like Tommy Hilfiger, at least they are here.

Last edited:

mryingster

macrumors 6502
Feb 1, 2013
California
The thing is, I don't want to buy a computer that is fixed to the display when I know the display is going to be perfectly fine many years after I have changed out the computer. I'm not worried about spending more than the cost of a corresponding iMac, since I will save more than that difference the next time I buy a computer but without a new screen.

And in addition to all that, there's the whole issue about being able to select any display I want. You'd be amazed at how much more I would be willing to pay on top of the price of a corresponding iMac just to avoid the glossy screen!

Man, I totally agree. It really drives me nuts that the all-in-ones get better specs because I don't like the philosophy of the all-in-one. If my computer dies, I don't want to replace the screen. If I want a bigger screen, I don't want to replace the computer.

Plus, every iMac I've had/used suffered from enormous amounts of heat. One computer had permanent graphics issues after a while which I am pretty sure had to do with heat, and then a second one the LCD was hot where the processor was, and the colors slightly distorted from the heat.

And yes. Matte displays are the best!

My dream is to get a Mac Mini with:
  • Dedicated GPU
  • Current i7 proccessor
  • USB 3 Ports
  • Thunderbolt 2
  • Max of 32 GB RAM

Guessing that that isn't going to happen though.

Man, I totally agree. It really drives me nuts that the all-in-ones get better specs because I don't like the philosophy of the all-in-one. If my computer dies, I don't want to replace the screen. If I want a bigger screen, I don't want to replace the computer.

Plus, every iMac I've had/used suffered from enormous amounts of heat. One computer had permanent graphics issues after a while which I am pretty sure had to do with heat, and then a second one the LCD was hot where the processor was, and the colors slightly distorted from the heat.

And yes. Matte displays are the best!

My dream is to get a Mac Mini with:
  • Dedicated GPU
  • Current i7 proccessor
  • USB 3 Ports
  • Thunderbolt 2
  • Max of 32 GB RAM

Guessing that that isn't going to happen though.

I agree! There is a lot of great graphics hardware out there, but no way to get it in a mac. I very reluctantly will go back to the windows side for a competent graphics machine and keep my mid-2011 Macbook Pro for my non-graphics-intensive everyday use.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.