Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

e5volcano

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 10, 2010
For example, the Mophie packs of same capacity are significantly more expensive than the ones from Anker, RAVpower, Jackery, etc.

Are mophie packs better and in what way than the others?

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
They're the best-known brand, and due to brand recognition they can charge more. People know they make high quality products and stand by them.

Sure, battery packs by an unknown company MIGHT have the same quality, but you can't really be sure of that. Mophie knows that, and charges more because of it.

It sucks, but that's the way things roll.

Zmanbaseball2

macrumors 68040
Aug 24, 2012
New York, USA
Why are Mophie external battery packs more expensive than the rest?

For example, the Mophie packs of same capacity are significantly more expensive than the ones from Anker, RAVpower, Jackery, etc.

Mophie is the main power on the go company. It is sold in apple stores so it can be sold for much more. Anker, RAVpower, Aukey and Lenmar, ect. are my favorite battery pack companies. I am a tech reviewer on amazon and I get so many battery packs. There are many companies that I think are better than mophie. uNu makes better battery cases IMO.
What makes others better than others is the quality, reliability and conversion rate.
I can help answer any other questions you may have. I have lots of experience with battery packs and battery cases,

Last edited:

Sparxxx

macrumors 6502
Jul 29, 2009
Mophie is the main power on the go company. It is sold in apple stores so it can be sold for much more. Anker, RAVpower, Aukey and Lenmar, ect. are my favorite battery pack companies. I am a tech reviewer on amazon and I get so many battery packs. There are many companies that I think are better than mophie. uNu makes better battery cases IMO.
What makes others better than others is the quality, reliability and conversion rate.
I can help answer any other questions you may have. I have lots of experience with battery packs and battery cases,

So which Battery Pack would you recommend? At least which company.
My needs:
2 ports (should charge an Iphone 5S and Ipad Air at the same time)
size: about the size of an Iphoine 5S (thickness maybe 2-3 times the Iphone)
bonus: if it has passthorugh.
Thanks

Zmanbaseball2

macrumors 68040
Aug 24, 2012
New York, USA

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009

You're paying for the name. The same reason why Apple products are significantly more expensive or Nike Sneakers are. You become a market leader or trail blazer, the consumer will be spending more for it.

e5volcano

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 10, 2010
You're paying for the name. The same reason why Apple products are significantly more expensive or Nike Sneakers are. You become a market leader or trail blazer, the consumer will be spending more for it.

Except Apple products run an operating system that cannot be found on other comparable devices.

Nike Sneakers are also more comfortable and better for running than the cheaper brands.

Do Mophie products have advantages than Anker, Jackery?

Zmanbaseball2

macrumors 68040
Aug 24, 2012
New York, USA
Except Apple products run an operating system that cannot be found on other comparable devices.

Nike Sneakers are also more comfortable and better for running than the cheaper brands.

Do Mophie products have advantages than Anker, Jackery?

The only advantage I find is that they are more known. Anker and Jackery are excellent battery pack companies that are much more affordable than mophie IMO, they just need more exposure I think.

mofunk

macrumors 68020
Aug 26, 2009
Americas
The Nike and Apple analogy not a good one. lol Those companies use quality materials.

If you have a product, basically you can set it a price. If your product is in a store, a part of that sell goes to the store, the distributor, and then to the company(owner). I've found Mophie stuff in Marshall's/TJ MAxx along with Incase, Belkin, Duracell, etc.

It really boils down to how much you want to spend. Do your own shopping. I've noticed that in Best Buy their prices don't reflect the products online.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
The Nike and Apple analogy not a good one. lol Those companies use quality materials.

If you have a product, basically you can set it a price. If your product is in a store, a part of that sell goes to the store, the distributor, and then to the company(owner). I've found Mophie stuff in Marshall's/TJ MAxx along with Incase, Belkin, Duracell, etc.

It really boils down to how much you want to spend. Do your own shopping. I've noticed that in Best Buy their prices don't reflect the products online.
And Mophie uses quality materials...

mofunk

macrumors 68020
Aug 26, 2009
Americas
Its a battery not a computer. Overpriced battery. I said I don't think the Apple and Nike was a good analogy because of the rep and quality. Wasn't saying anything about Mophie quality but explain the logistic of selling a product. I didn't mention, too, that since Apple came out with the ipHone a lot of accessories are overpriced. Before iPhone evolution I could find a aux cable or anything that transfers music/info for $1-3.

But its just a battery.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Its a battery not a computer. Overpriced battery. I said I don't think the Apple and Nike was a good analogy because of the rep and quality. Wasn't saying anything about Mophie quality but explain the logistic of selling a product. I didn't mention, too, that since Apple came out with the ipHone a lot of accessories are overpriced. Before iPhone evolution I could find a aux cable or anything that transfers music/info for $1-3.

But its just a battery.
Shoes are shoes but slap a Nike logo and they are suddenly more expensive shoes. Seems like a fairly applicable analogy.

aawil

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2008
I've had a Jackery bar for over a year and it still works fine. I don't use it everyday though.

SimonBS

macrumors regular
Dec 30, 2009

I hope it's alright that I borrow this thread to ask a question to you, Zmanbaseball2.
I'll be traveling next week and have been looking for a good external battery to bring with me. I would prefer one that fits into the pockets of a pair of pants. Can you recommend a battery pack that fits into a pocket?

I'll primarily be using it for my iPhone but it's an advantage if it can also give my iPad Mini a couple of extra hours.
I've been looking at the Mophie Powerstation (the regular one, not the Mini and not the Duo) as it can charge both the iPhone and the iPad Mini and it seems small enough to fit into a pocket. Mophie even have an image on the website of a guy putting the battery pack into his pocket.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I can run windows on both a Mac and PC - The PC is cheaper.
I can run OS X on a Mac and a PC - The PC is cheaper.

Again, you're paying for the name. I'm not bashing apple, I think they bring more intangibles to the table, but the fact remains the so called apple-tax is valid.

Not by a long shot I run (a lot and do races) and in my opinion Nike sneakers are not good for running. Also Air Jordans are outrageously expensive and you're only paying for the name.

Zmanbaseball2

macrumors 68040
Aug 24, 2012
New York, USA

I hope it's alright that I borrow this thread to ask a question to you, Zmanbaseball2.

I'll be traveling next week and have been looking for a good external battery to bring with me. I would prefer one that fits into the pockets of a pair of pants. Can you recommend a battery pack that fits into a pocket?

I'll primarily be using it for my iPhone but it's an advantage if it can also give my iPad Mini a couple of extra hours.

I've been looking at the Mophie Powerstation (the regular one, not the Mini and not the Duo) as it can charge both the iPhone and the iPad Mini and it seems small enough to fit into a pocket. Mophie even have an image on the website of a guy putting the battery pack into his pocket.

I'm first going to say, stay away from mophie if you are on a budget.
I recommend this:
Anker 2nd Gen Astro 6000mAh (2A Output) Portable Charger External Battery Pack with PowerIQ Technology for iPhone 5S, 5C, 5, 4S, iPad Air, mini, Galaxy S5, S4, S3, Note 3, Galaxy Tab 3, 2, Nexus 4, 5, 7, 10, HTC One, One 2 (M8), MOTO X, G, LG Optimus, PS Vita and other Smartphones and Tablets
http://amzn.com/B00EF1OGOG

Last edited:

kilcher

macrumors 65816
Jul 3, 2011
Fairly confident in saying it's the name. It's certainly not the quality materials they use.

Zmanbaseball2

macrumors 68040
Aug 24, 2012
New York, USA

I really like the look of that, thanks.

Any idea how long it holds it's charge once you charge it fully?

Thanks.

I'm not sure but every 6 months charge it to keep it charged. I'm sure you will use it at least one every 6 months and charge it during that time. Most lithium battery's loose some charge after about 6 months of no use.

Last edited:

estoydadude

macrumors newbie
Oct 10, 2012
It is all about the brand, if you look at other companies, you probably find cases with better specs and quality.

but with such big name in the market, they are expected to have good quality (which they will fulfill this promise in order to stay on top) and enough ads to stay in throne.

meanwhile, you will find a lot of "knockoffs", especially on Amazon, which you can see there are so many sellers on their listing, bringing the price down (clearance or really knockoffs?) This is a questionable part..

overall, Mophie does make good cases, but the price is too high in my opinion..

thelookingglass

macrumors 68020
Apr 27, 2005
Like any other consumer product, it's just about marketing and distribution. Do you really think $300 Beats headphones are actually that much better than cheaper alternatives? Of course not. but people know about Beats and Beats can be bought so many places. Same with Mophie. I've never used an Anker battery case, but I would wager that its quality is on part with the Mophie, just because I've used other Anker products in the past and they've all been solid. They just don't have the marketing prowess of Mophie and so they charge less.

jsalicru

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2004
Austin, TX
If you'd like an overpriced battery with an easy to scratch finish, this is the one for you.

It does work very well at charging the phone, and I'm glad that I got it with my AT&T Premier discount... but yea, I wouldn't pay full price.

longthizzz

macrumors regular
Mar 1, 2011
You are buying the name
I myself have the morphie battery for my iPhone 4s and 5 completely love it . But there are other non brand names out there , that still deliver the same battery charge but less expensive

AE14

macrumors 68030
Jul 9, 2013
Philly Burbs
I have to say that I was very hesitant to spend the money on a mophie case. But I have to admit my daily driver is the juice pack plus. I even purchased the dock and love it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.