Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

furi0usbee

macrumors 68000
Jul 11, 2008
I called this out on the previous report. Something about this did not feel right...

You mean like 50% of the articles on MR lately? I've noticed that the "rumor" articles lately are very reaching and they still get posted. I know we are not talking about The New York Times here, but someone has to say NO when deciding on posting something ludicrous. And many posts have a counter-post that directly contradicts the previous post. Whatever.

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011
Apple is to Rolex
as
Samsung is to Swatch

Only difference is Apple is affordable.

KdParker

macrumors 601
Oct 1, 2010
Everywhere
Who cares.

All I know is that for all the talk about this iWatch, we have not seen on hint of parts leak, design, etc.

So unless the doubling down worked only for the iWatch, this thing is not coming anytime soon.

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
Sounds like a lawyer :).

He used the word "unfounded" and said he had no interest in teaming up with a smart watch tech group. He didn't say that the rumor was completely wrong or that they were not working with Apple.

fortysomegeek

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2012
I didn't know the Swatch Group included Omega and Blancpain.

They own more than watch brands
They own the supply chain:

ETA. Movement Manufacture
Nivarox - electronics and esacpment
Comadur - case assembly
Rubattel/MOM - Watch dials
Universo - watch hands
Reuden - watch cases
Lascor - steel and metal composites for bracelets
Novi (the Swiss version of Foxconn assembly)
Meco Suisse - exterior components such as crowns, bezels and most external components.

Not to mention they own :
retail distribution - Turbullion, Hour Pasion, most airport boutiques
and
electronics like Renata, EM ,Micro Crystals

So Apple may need a supplier for say... bracelets, watch straps, crowns, dials, battery components, IC circuits, Testing equipment for waterproofness, certain metal alloys.

fortysomegeek

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2012
Sounds like a lawyer :).

He used the word "unfounded" and said he had no interest in teaming up with a smart watch tech group. He didn't say that the rumor was completely wrong or that they were not working with Apple.

His dad (Nick Hayek) teamed up with Microsoft and it was a major flop. I could see why they want to avoid it a second time when they should be focusing on high profit margins. They have B-O-M of $400 and can sell a watch for $20,000. Apple could only wish it had that type of profit margins.

The under $500 market is too competitive and not worth it for them.

osofast240sx

macrumors 68030
Mar 25, 2011
His dad (Nick Hayek) teamed up with Microsoft and it was a major flop. I could see why they want to avoid it a second time when they should be focusing on high profit margins. They have B-O-M of $400 and can sell a watch for $20,000. Apple could only wish it had that type of profit margins.

The under $500 market is too competitive and not worth it for them.
How many watches can they fell for 20k? Versus selling hundred million watches over a period of time. Eventually the all chase the carrot!

Col4bin

macrumors 68000
Oct 2, 2011
El Segundo
Swatch…really? What is this, 1988?

Might as well attach the iWatch to jelly bands and snap-bracelets while they're at it.

Rant over. Going to listen to some Twisted Sister on my Walkman now, then watch Goonies. ;)

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
In a few cases, yes, the usability factor is higher, especially at work or on the go, at the beach etc.

But look at sales of low-end watches since mobile phones started enjoying a very high penetration rate, sales are collapsing since around 2000-2010.

Most people under 30 don't wear a (cheap) wristwatch any longer.

Tim Cook himself commented on this at the AllThingsD conference back in 2013 (you can still view the interview online).

Not in a few cases, at least not for me. I personally hate to be late, as I think it is rude to the people you keep waiting. Not that a lot of folks think this way anymore, especially as you say, the under-30s who seem to think it's perfectly okay to be late.

All of this is really quite beside the point anyway. Apple is not going to be selling a watch. Whatever wearable tech device they do sell may incidentally tell time, but that will be far from its primary function.

fortysomegeek

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2012
How many watches can they fell for 20k? Versus selling hundred million watches over a period of time. Eventually the all chase the carrot!

They sell a lot of Tissot, Longines, Omegas for $2000-5000 and up. The BOM on those are probably $200 (the same as iphone).

The $1,000 to $5,000 segment is very, very healthy.

Col4bin

macrumors 68000
Oct 2, 2011
El Segundo
Who cares.

All I know is that for all the talk about this iWatch, we have not seen on hint of parts leak, design, etc.

So unless the doubling down worked only for the iWatch, this thing is not coming anytime soon.

Great point. I also feel the same way about the supposed 4.7" and 5.5" iPhone 6. We've seen (many) machined/digitally printed mockups, yes. But we haven't yet seen the real blurry iPhone 6 leaks straight from Foxconn's or Pegatron's manufacturing lines…

So doubling-down I hope.

Col4bin

macrumors 68000
Oct 2, 2011
El Segundo
80s

When I see Swatch, I think of the 80's…

The only people who would buy an iWatch that looks like this would be under 20yr old douchey hipsters.

Attachments

• swatch-1980s.jpg
    swatch-1980s.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 412

Tiger8

macrumors 68020
May 23, 2011
Apple is to Rolex
as
Samsung is to Swatch

that analogy doesn't even make sense. If you're trying to say Apple and Rolex are luxury brands, let me introduce you to the iPhone 5c, it's plastic, it's fun.

If you're trying to say that Samsung and Swatch are cheap brands, I encourage you to read a little bit in the thread, several members with knowledge posted lengthy answers explaining how Swatch Group covers pretty much majority of the market, including $200K watches.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
You mean like 50% of the articles on MR lately? I've noticed that the "rumor" articles lately are very reaching and they still get posted. I know we are not talking about The New York Times here, but someone has to say NO when deciding on posting something ludicrous. And many posts have a counter-post that directly contradicts the previous post. Whatever.

No kidding. It's too bad, but it seem increasingly MR isn't applying editorial judgment to what they choose to publish or how they evaluate any given rumor's likelihood of being accurate. Many of the rumors are clearly not well sourced, such as this one from a source supposedly possessing "knowledge of Apple's plans." This is stated by MR without any qualification, as if they are highly confident about the source's knowledge.

pure-rockstar

macrumors regular
Jul 24, 2014
A phone is supposed to be for phone calls. What's so interesting about a touch-screen phone?

Apparently, the iWatch will be much more than a watch, much like iPhone is much more than a phone. I suspect many people would identify their primary use of iPhone as something other than the phone functionality itself (web browser, texting, email checker, app use, etc).

There's all this rumor of some kind of "magical" health monitoring device too.

Personally, I don't quite see a masses fit for an iWatch no matter how I think of it but I'm certain it will be more than a touch-screen watch.

But they don't have to put touch screen on everything. Touch screen this touch screen that, haven't we had enough?

Albright

macrumors regular
Aug 23, 2011
Four pages in and nobody's made a "Synchronize Swatches!" reference yet?

Bah. I must be too old for the internet.

Reason077

macrumors 68040
Aug 14, 2007
What swatch did in the late 80s and early 90s revolutionalized the industry; ... Swatch made watches colorful, liberating, and a fashion statement.

And, if Apple get it right, the iWatch will be the Swatch of this decade.

Suspended
Mar 23, 2006
England
They just hired the head marketing guy from TAG Heuer watches. I think the iWatch is going to be a lot more upmarket than a swatch.

Wiesenlooser

macrumors 6502a
Jul 9, 2010
Thing is , swatch is no more experienced than apple when it comes to selling smart watches.

There is nothing swatch or any other watch manufacturer knows about the smart watch market. It is completely new ground.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.