Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
I've found myself with a big pile of server grade 15K RPM SAS drives.

I don't have any particular need for fast speeds with these drive, but none the less would like to do something with them and building a RAID array in my G5 seems like a decent starting point.

So, what I'm wondering is if anyone knows of a PCI or PCI-X card for SAS drives that will work in a G5?

Thanks

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
Just to follow up on this, I ended up doing a little more dumpster diving and recovering the rack mount servers that these drives came out of.

With the help of a friend(who set them up in their original installation) I set up one as a glorified NAS with 6 drives in RAID level 5. The high RPM SAS drives combined with the fact that they're in RAID gave us a(benchmarked) read/write speed of 3.5gb/sec. I'd call that not too shabby, especially considering that gigabit ethernet is going to be the bottleneck with them.

I have a few more of the servers, so I may end up setting up a couple more of them this way. And, if it's not verboten to say so on here, one of the 8 core(dual quad-core) Xeon blades may end up running 10.6 Snow Leopard.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.