Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ryanrmw

macrumors newbie
Mar 31, 2014
Iphone 4s Verizon can't dial

I've gotten it switched from my old phone to the Verizon Iphone 4s, however when I try to dial 228 (22890/etc) it says "Welcome to verizon wireless, your phone number could not be dialed" I've tried resetting the network settings and turning the roaming data on/off and nothing is sucessful.
Any help?
Thanks!

Altemose

macrumors G3
Original poster
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
I've gotten it switched from my old phone to the Verizon Iphone 4s, however when I try to dial 228 (22890/etc) it says "Welcome to verizon wireless, your phone number could not be dialed" I've tried resetting the network settings and turning the roaming data on/off and nothing is sucessful.
Any help?
Thanks!

I recommend restoring the device then if possible. Also, contact Page Plus and say you need assistance in activating. Sometimes, the ESN is mismatched with them or your account needs to be reset on their end.

M&ms

macrumors newbie
Mar 29, 2014
Just an update on data usage - as of today I've used 33+ GB and still have until the 11th until my monthly period ends!

Altemose

macrumors G3
Original poster
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
Just an update on data usage - as of today I've used 33+ GB and still have until the 11th until my monthly period ends!

Then Page Plus is not a good choice for you. When Verizon finally boots you since you are not under contract, then go to T-Mobile. They offer a true unlimited plan, no throttling on the unlimited 4G plan, and great speeds. Sprint offers a good unlimited plan, and are in the process of upgrading their network to better speeds.

It is ironic how Sprint is the slowest despite their name. It is because they repeat a lot of the signal throughout the network. In other words, T-Mobile is best.

bottomdown

Suspended
Apr 4, 2014
Live chat is only available during our business hours.

I keep getting the message "Live chat is only available during our business hours." when attempting to use chat on Page Plus's website. It's 10:30 AM EST. That seems like it should be within their business hours (and it certainly is within the phone support hours).

Does anyone know what these hours are?

bottomdown

Suspended
Apr 4, 2014
As mentioned in my original post, you must be using a CDMA iPhone 4/4S that is for Verizon. GSM is a completely different technology.

This is patently false. There is only one iPhone 4S which supports the technology of every US carrier. Here is a MacRumors post about that:

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1505066/#9

It seems there is a lot of mis-information. There is nothing technically about the hardware stopping any iPhone 4S from using Verizon service. The salient questions (to which I don't have answers) are:

• Can an unlocked iPhone 4S have its baseband software updated to enable the existing CDMA radio?
  • Can an unlocked iPhone 4S have its ESN whitelisted to enable it to join and utilize the Verizon network?

If anyone knows these answers, that would help all of us. Please don't just respond with "hardware is different, GSM vs CDMA", because there is only one hardware design for the iPhone 4S.

Last edited:

bottomdown

Suspended
Apr 4, 2014
GSM iPhone 4S cannot be used (I think)

This is patently false. There is only one iPhone 4S which supports the technology of every US carrier. Here is a MacRumors post about that:

It seems there is a lot of mis-information. There is nothing technically about the hardware stopping any iPhone 4S from using Verizon service. The salient questions (to which I don't have answers) are:

• Can an unlocked iPhone 4S have its baseband software updated to enable the existing CDMA radio?
  • Can an unlocked iPhone 4S have its ESN whitelisted to enable it to join and utilize the Verizon network?

If anyone knows these answers, that would help all of us. Please don't just respond with "hardware is different, GSM vs CDMA", because there is only one hardware design for the iPhone 4S.

As it turns out, there has been some heated discussion of this on the Apple forums.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4028188?start=60&tstart=0

It looks like it is impossible (for business more than technical reasons) to activate a GSM iPhone 4S, unlocked or not, on ANY CDMA carrier. I'm sure if you worked for Apple, there would be some way to do it, but for business reasons, there is no way for a consumer to do this.

I am summarizing forum posts, but I can't find any official answer from Apple. This information might be incorrect.

Altemose

macrumors G3
Original poster
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland

I know that there is no different GSM vs. CDMA models. However the CDMA portion is disabled in the provisioned GSM phones and vice versa. There are ways via Jailbreak to enable CDMA on a GSM provisioned 4s, but at no point would any network activate and whitelist the ESN.

There is a difference between bringing an outside device onto the network and bringing your own device to the network. For example, you can put a Sprint phone on Ting as they use the same network. Most Sprint phones cannot be brought to Verizon's network as a whole (natively) without either being in an overlapping ESN range (both Verizon and Sprint whitelisted the ESN) or having the ESN swapped from another device. However the second is illegal so I do not even consider it an option.

Effectively, the hardware is the same. But for the purpose of my guide, the general understanding of the users using my guide, and to avoid misinformation, there is no actively working way to put a GSM provisioned device onto Verizon or Sprint (CDMA). I am not discrediting you in any way, but getting that to work would be a two part effort of the jailbreak community and the carriers themselves to provision it for use.

M&ms

macrumors newbie
Mar 29, 2014
Then Page Plus is not a good choice for you. When Verizon finally boots you since you are not under contract, then go to T-Mobile. They offer a true unlimited plan, no throttling on the unlimited 4G plan, and great speeds. Sprint offers a good unlimited plan, and are in the process of upgrading their network to better speeds.

It is ironic how Sprint is the slowest despite their name. It is because they repeat a lot of the signal throughout the network. In other words, T-Mobile is best.
Thanks again! Sure wish I could take my 4s with me to T-Mobile.
Up to 39.5 GBs of data for the month & counting- } :-O

Altemose

macrumors G3
Original poster
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
Thanks again! Sure wish I could take my 4s with me to T-Mobile.
Up to 39.5 GBs of data for the month & counting- } :-O

Very impressive data usage. If Verizon ever rips your data plan from you, T-Mobile is there with open arms...

Last edited by a moderator:

Saraba

macrumors newbie
May 5, 2014
Thank you!!!

Thank you Altemose, for the guide!
I joined the forum so that I can thank you and share my experience.

I have a Verizon CDMA iPhone 4 (out of contract) and I was able to port my number and activate my account with Page Plus today. :)

Here’s what I did:

1. Created a Page Plus account.
2. Submitted a port request over the phone (800-550-2436). Provided my name, phone number, address, MEID number, and Verizon Wireless account # and passcode. You can submit the port request from here ( Activation/Porting form), but I did it over the phone because I couldn’t get it through.
3. I turned on a voice & data roaming.
4. Contacted Verizon Wireless to make sure that the porting request went through, and it did. Shortly after, I couldn’t access my Verizon account anymore.
5. About an hour later, I called the CS again and received a confirmation that my account is activated.
6. I added my ported number to my account. (You will receive a verification code via text.)
7. Made a test call with the $2.00 credit on my account.
8. Added my money to my account.

My phone still shows “Verizon” on the network. According to the CS rep, they use Verizon’s 3G towers for service.

Also, I didn’t have to program my phone to work, because it was originally on Verizon.

Thanks again, Altemose!

Altemose

macrumors G3
Original poster
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland

I have a Verizon CDMA iPhone 4 (out of contract) and I was able to port my number and activate my account with Page Plus today. :)

Here’s what I did:

1. Created a Page Plus account.
2. Submitted a port request over the phone (800-550-2436). Provided my name, phone number, address, MEID number, and Verizon Wireless account # and passcode. You can submit the port request from here ( Activation/Porting form), but I did it over the phone because I couldn’t get it through.
3. I turned on a voice & data roaming.
4. Contacted Verizon Wireless to make sure that the porting request went through, and it did. Shortly after, I couldn’t access my Verizon account anymore.
5. About an hour later, I called the CS again and received a confirmation that my account is activated.
6. I added my ported number to my account. (You will receive a verification code via text.)
7. Made a test call with the $2.00 credit on my account.
8. Added my money to my account.

My phone still shows “Verizon” on the network. According to the CS rep, they use Verizon’s 3G towers for service.

Also, I didn’t have to program my phone to work, because it was originally on Verizon.

Thanks again, Altemose!

Glad you found the guide useful.

Silverado90

macrumors newbie
May 9, 2014
iPhone, PagePlus, Hotspot, Voice Mail, Google Number, Youmail

Thank you!!!
Wish I had found this tread a few months ago....
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have a Verizon iphone 4s (out of contract for over a year) and I was able to port my number and activate my account with Page Plus a few months ago.
Not looking back!

Hotspot did work for awhile, and then started to use today and found out it stopped and get the infamous message:
=========
dunsp.vzw.com/newSelfProvisioning/SelfProvisioning

"Your phone is not currently set up to be used as a modem or mobile hotspot."
=========
Of course my Voice Mail stops working when I ported my number to Page Plus.
Here is what I did:
1) Installed Google Voice. But was not happy with the number of rings and performance. Callers would hang up before Voice Mail would answer.
2) Installed Youmail. Works Great!
3) Added Google Number which works in areas that my Verizon service did not such as in an apartment with firewalls and Wi-Fi. I used Google Voice and Talkatone, since changed to Hangouts when Google stop supporting third party IP apps.

So I have two numbers on my iphone 4S, each with Voice Mail
1) Ported Verizon number to Page Plus setup up with Youmail
2) Google number setup with Google Voice and Google Hangouts

Now if I could just figure out Hotspot again, I would be set :)

Thanks again, Altemose!

Altemose

macrumors G3
Original poster
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
Thank you!!!

Wish I had found this tread a few months ago....

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have a Verizon iphone 4s (out of contract for over a year) and I was able to port my number and activate my account with Page Plus a few months ago.

Not looking back!

Hotspot did work for awhile, and then started to use today and found out it stopped and get the infamous message:

=========

dunsp.vzw.com/newSelfProvisioning/SelfProvisioning

"Your phone is not currently set up to be used as a modem or mobile hotspot."

=========

Of course my Voice Mail stops working when I ported my number to Page Plus.

Here is what I did:

1) Installed Google Voice. But was not happy with the number of rings and performance. Callers would hang up before Voice Mail would answer.

2) Installed Youmail. Works Great!

3) Added Google Number which works in areas that my Verizon service did not such as in an apartment with firewalls and Wi-Fi. I used Google Voice and Talkatone, since changed to Hangouts when Google stop supporting third party IP apps.

So I have two numbers on my iphone 4S, each with Voice Mail

1) Ported Verizon number to Page Plus setup up with Youmail

2) Google number setup with Google Voice and Google Hangouts

Now if I could just figure out Hotspot again, I would be set :)

Thanks again, Altemose!

No problem. Glad you all got it running. Page Plus is really a great company. I am shocked that this thread has nearly 50,000 views.

Altemose

macrumors G3
Original poster
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
Allegedly, Page Plus Cellular is now authorized to activate iPhones. Any questions regarding iPhones on Page Plus can still be asked here.

melanieharper

macrumors newbie
Jul 10, 2014
Looking at upgrading my phone on PP

I love page plus, but my iPhone 4's brain is nearly kaput. Question before I buy a new 4 w/32 gb off eBay, though. If the phone being sold has a clean ESN (MEID) and is a Verizon CDMA, does it then need to be jailbroken and flashed? Or can I just OTA program it to the new account? Thanks much!

Altemose

macrumors G3
Original poster
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
I love page plus, but my iPhone 4's brain is nearly kaput. Question before I buy a new 4 w/32 gb off eBay, though. If the phone being sold has a clean ESN (MEID) and is a Verizon CDMA, does it then need to be jailbroken and flashed? Or can I just OTA program it to the new account? Thanks much!

If it is a Verizon 4 or 4S with a clean ESN then it will work without issues. Just change the ESN over.

matmom160

macrumors newbie
Jul 24, 2014
sprint iphone 4s to page plus....HELP!!!

it's been jailbroke so now what?! do i hafta have it flashed to page plus?

Altemose

macrumors G3
Original poster
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
it's been jailbroke so now what?! do i hafta have it flashed to page plus?

As stated in the guide, there is limited success in getting a Sprint provisioned 4S on a Verizon based carrier. Sprint provisioned iPhone 4 does actually work as they have matching ESN bases.

crazy1david

macrumors newbie
Aug 3, 2014
Question on Resetting

I just got my sisters phone which is an iphone 4 with pageplus, not too sure how all this stuff works and was wondering if restting the phone would also get rid of page plus?

Altemose

macrumors G3
Original poster
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
I just got my sisters phone which is an iphone 4 with pageplus, not too sure how all this stuff works and was wondering if restting the phone would also get rid of page plus?

Restoring the device will not remove anything to do with Page Plus. It will reactivate the minute that you complete setup. Now if it is a Sprint iPhone 4 then you would need to re-jailbreak and perform those steps.

crazy1david

macrumors newbie
Aug 3, 2014
Second Question

(thanks for answering the last one) Can i jailbreak a verizon phone and the page plus still work like normal?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.