Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

oatman13

macrumors regular
Feb 14, 2013
Getting a kernal panic after installation:

Process 1 ecec of /sbin/launchd failed, errno 2"@sourcecache/xnu/xnu-2422.110.17/bsd/kern/kern_exec.c:3

BSD process name corresponding to current thread: init
Boot args: config="\OX X Install Data\com.apple.boot

Mac OS version: not yet set

Kernel version: 13.3.0

Your system didn't update much of anything. Your kernel version is still on the Mavericks kernel.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
I should of downloaded initially when i had the chance instead of cancelling :p

This is unbelievable .. can't even access apple website now

CincinnatusC

macrumors newbie
Jul 1, 2014
This is probably quite a dumb question, but I've never installed a second version of OS X on the same machine before, so I honestly don't know the answer: once I've booted to my Yosemite partition (on an extrernal HD), can I still access/open/use the applications from my main Mavericks HD, or do they each have to be reinstalled in Yosemite? For example, if I want to access Airmail while playing around in Yosemite, would I need to reinstall it on this drive, or can applications be "shared" between the two?

I'm downloading Yosemite now, just want to be prepared in advance. Thanks.

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
Got over 1GB and down to 19 minutes on my download, then it restarted without the failure message. Got 250MB and failed again.

Frustrating. And I have a very good connection. :confused:

JayDude132

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2010
How critical is it to backup my computer first? I don't have a mac-compatible drive to backup to but i really want to install yosemite! Its already downloaded and waiting for me.

sfwalter

macrumors 68020
Jan 6, 2004
Dallas Texas
This website is under heavy load

We're sorry, too many people are accessing this website at the same time. We're working on this problem. Please try again later.

sk1wbw

Suspended
May 28, 2011
Williamsburg, Virginia
Right now, for this particular beta release, there isn't a fully fledged "dark theme", only the ability to turn it on for menu bar and dock. This is done under System Preferences -> General, there is an option to check for "Use dark menu bar and Dock".

Got it. It looks great, it's better than nothing so far. Just hope that iOS 8 gets it...

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
How critical is it to backup my computer first? I don't have a mac-compatible drive to backup to but i really want to install yosemite! Its already downloaded and waiting for me.

Don't install a beta OS on a machine that has data you care about, unless it's backed up.

If you have an external drive you can reformat it to a mac-friendly GUID in Disk Utility.

orestes1984

macrumors 65816
Jun 10, 2005
Australia
This is probably quite a dumb question, but I've never installed a second version of OS X on the same machine before, so I honestly don't know the answer: once I've booted to my Yosemite partition (on an extrernal HD), can I still access/open/use the applications from my main Mavericks HD, or do they each have to be reinstalled in Yosemite? For example, if I want to access Airmail while playing around in Yosemite, would I need to reinstall it on this drive, or can applications be "shared" between the two?

I'm downloading Yosemite now, just want to be prepared in advance. Thanks.

Yes, you will still be able to run all of your apps from their application folder in Mavericks.

imwoblin

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2007
I cannot believe I have wasted 2 hours of my life trying to download a beta product for an operating system and still cannot use my code (already redeemed) and now cannot even log onto Appleseed as the site is down. What are they using as a server a G5 PowerMac in the bathroom running on a generator? I'm sure Apple will spin this as a huge win i.e. "due to amazing, stupendous, incredible, mind-blowing response from all our devoted fans, we ran out of codes. But hurry back next time!

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
How many uses rushed for iOS 7 ? It wasn't this bad...

I guess more people would go for OX X 10.10 than iOS 7.

Like a kid in a candy store. i WANT my candy :)

oatman13

macrumors regular
Feb 14, 2013
Been running the dev preview for awhile. I would not make it your default OS. You can use Disk Utility to create a second partition, and install it there.

Don't install it without a backup. One guy on this thread already got a kernel panic after the installation. You don't wanna be *that guy* unless you take backups first.

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
Each time it gets to 1.01 GB downloaded, it starts over at 0 GB and recalculates before running up another 250 MB or so and failure to download.

What a ridiculous process.

JayDude132

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2010
Don't install a beta OS on a machine that has data you care about, unless it's backed up.

If you have an external drive you can reformat it to a mac-friendly GUID in Disk Utility.

Will I still be able to use this drive with my Windows Machines or will the other data be useless after reformatting?

tivoboy

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2005
code?

Question about the code?

It appeared as some activation code was spawning, it was saying "loading code" or something like that, but no code showed up for me. Now, I can't get that effect to come back?

Where can one get ones code from again?

fhamadeh

macrumors regular
May 23, 2012
San Mateo, CA
Apple may be getting a handle on things. I was finally able to download the installer after dozens of tries. I also noticed that Apple had issued me a new redemption code although I did not need to use it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.