Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

joshis1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 5, 2014
I am planning to buy Mac book - laptop because of its good performance.
I have a Dell Studio laptop with Fedora core -19, I am really upset with this System. First of all my laptop gets hot, and it simply shutsdown. Also, the battery backup is too low. On top of it, the laptop is heavier, my lap starts paining. Basically, I run a website http://www.tune2wizard. I am more into technical and linux/unix kernel is my interest.

1. Can I write kernel programs/modules - character driver, block driver and network driver in Mac OS - Macbook pro or Macbook air?

2. Can I write QT applications on Macbook?

3. Can I run the normal linux commands on macbook like -
cat /proc/cpuinfo
dmesg
exec , find ,

4. Do they support yum or apt for source code download?
or anything equivalent?

Are these programming tools are free of cost?

Another point is what makes Mac good compare to the Dell or lenovo laptops with better CPU core, RAM, etc. For example, MAC book with i5, 2nd generation, RAM - 4B, HDD - 128 GB - SSD is far better than Dell/Lenovo - i7, 4th generation, RAM - 16 GB, HDD - 1 TB - Serial. What makes MACbook better in performance than the laptop which has better hardware ?

meme1255

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2012
Czechia
I have a Dell Studio laptop with Fedora core -19, I am really upset with this System. First of all my laptop gets hot, and it simply shutsdown. Also, the battery backup is too low. On top of it, the laptop is heavier, my lap starts paining. Basically, I run a website http://www.tune2wizard. I am more into technical and linux/unix kernel is my interest.

1. Can I write kernel programs/modules - character driver, block driver and network driver in Mac OS - Macbook pro or Macbook air?

cat /proc/cpuinfo
dmesg
exec , find ,

or anything equivalent?

Another point is what makes Mac good compare to the Dell or lenovo laptops with better CPU core, RAM, etc. For example, MAC book with i5, 2nd generation, RAM - 4B, HDD - 128 GB - SSD is far better than Dell/Lenovo - i7, 4th generation, RAM - 16 GB, HDD - 1 TB - Serial. What makes MACbook better in performance than the laptop which has better hardware ?

1) You should be capable to write your own kexts.
2) AFAIK yes - They'll run in XQuartz (OS X's X11 name) if you install required tools from Macports.
3) Nope, there are different ones: sysctl or system_profiler. They provide similar amount of information.
4) You can install Macports or Homebrew. It's aptitude-like package system.

XCode or other tools from Macports are free.

Mac (feel) is faster because of a solid state drive (SSD) :) - HDD is the slowest component in any computer.

michaelsviews

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2007
New England

cat /proc/cpuinfo
dmesg
exec , find ,

or anything equivalent?

What about asking this in the programming form

Panch0

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2010
Virginia
macports will bring most of the linux commands over.
if you are really into linux, you can always run a virtual machine so that you have linux running within OSX. VirtualBox is a free virtualization program and VMWare Fusion and Parallels ofer commercial versions.

using a VM you can run a linux server( really you could run many at once) on your Mac to develop and test before deploying to your live server(s). inside the VM, you are just running your favorite distro with all of your preferred tools.

jeremyhu

macrumors member
Aug 16, 2010
1) You should be capable to write your own kexts.
2) AFAIK yes - They'll run in XQuartz (OS X's X11 name) if you install required tools from Macports.

QT also has an AppKit backend as well, so you can have native QT applications without needing to use X11.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.