Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

coldjeanzzz

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 4, 2012
Purchased a MBA in December 2012.

Today I've received the "Service Battery" notification which stunned me as I don't have many cycles on it and it's not even that old. The battery health has mostly been fluctuating between 80-84% these last few months (sometimes went to 79% but only temporarily), but today it randomly dropped into the mid to high 70s and hasn't gone back to 80 since then.

From what I remember reading if your battery health goes below 80% before reaching 1000 cycles then there's something wrong with it? I don't think Apple replaces batteries for free, but should I take it in? I don't have Apple Care, but my CC company extended my warranty for an additional year so is there a chance they will reimburse me for a new battery if I file a claim? It's just so ridiculous to me that it did this so fast. I didn't leave my Mac plugged in ALL the time, I definitely had it on battery power at least once a week since I bought it. I know people who treated their batteries like crap and didn't experience this.

rgg8354

macrumors newbie
Jul 23, 2014
As an owner of a Mid2009 MacBook Pro I had this same experience shortly after purchasing my device. Though the in-store diagnostics showed the battery to be in passing health, it was only barely passing, so the Apple Retail Store replaced the battery under warranty at no cost.

Per the Apple warranty, a battery that is depleted, which is what you describe after 1000 cycles, is not covered by the limited hardware warranty, as this would be like expecting a tire manufacturer to replace a blown tire that you have run 10000 miles past the end of the mileage warranty.

That being said any time during the hardware warranty or AppleCare Protection Plan period that your battery falls in to that 79% and lower range with fewer than 1000 charge cycles, Apple will replace the battery at no cost to you as it is considered to be defective.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
That's not normal wear and tear and something is trigging the sensor, so I'd take it into apple and have them take a look.

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
My 2011mbp had an issue like this in its second year. Was floating between 78% and 82% apple swapped the battery for free.

OzyOly

macrumors 6502a
Jun 3, 2009
This happened with my old macbook pro and my macbook air. Both times apple replaced the battery free of charge.

OzyOly

macrumors 6502a
Jun 3, 2009
Were you under warrantee/had applecare?

Yes both happened under one year. My latest battery was down to ~65% in under 200 cycles.

There is an apple support page somewhere that sates how long a battery should last. If you are under a certain number of years and have under a certain amount of cycles they will replaced your battery out of warranty.

coldjeanzzz

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 4, 2012
Yes both happened under one year. My latest battery was down to ~65% in under 200 cycles.

There is an apple support page somewhere that sates how long a battery should last. If you are under a certain number of years and have under a certain amount of cycles they will replaced your battery out of warranty.

From what I've been reading on the Apple website, they only replace batteries (even under Applecare) if the battery is showing signs of being defective and not diminishing from regular use. I would say mine needing servicing as fast as it did is not normal, but being out of warranty and Applecare I doubt they will replace it for free so hopefully my CC company will come through here.

OzyOly

macrumors 6502a
Jun 3, 2009
From what I've been reading on the Apple website, they only replace batteries (even under Applecare) if the battery is showing signs of being defective and not diminishing from regular use. I would say mine needing servicing as fast as it did is not normal, but being out of warranty and Applecare I doubt they will replace it for free so hopefully my CC company will come through here.

You could book a genius appointment and check first? Might save you the hassle of trying to claim through your cc company?

Ronnoco

macrumors 68030
Oct 16, 2007
United States of America
Apple replaced the battery in my 2010 MBP a year after my AppleCare ran out (in 2014). The battery only had 200 cycles on it and it was beginning to swell. I called Apple Customer Service first, explained the situation and they called the Apple Store nearest me and instructed them to replace the battery for free, which they did.

I recommend calling Apple Customer Service first as the stores are usually quick to say no.

coldjeanzzz

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 4, 2012
Apple replaced the battery in my 2010 MBP a year after my AppleCare ran out (in 2014). The battery only had 200 cycles on it and it was beginning to swell. I called Apple Customer Service first, explained the situation and they called the Apple Store nearest me and instructed them to replace the battery for free, which they did.

I recommend calling Apple Customer Service first as the stores are usually quick to say no.

I already booked the appt for tomorrow, but don't you have to pay a fee if you want phone/chat support from Apple (if you don't have Applecare)?

Ronnoco

macrumors 68030
Oct 16, 2007
United States of America
I already booked the appt for tomorrow, but don't you have to pay a fee if you want phone/chat support from Apple (if you don't have Applecare)?

I didn't speak to AppleCare, I spoke with Apple Customer Service...there was no charge and they were very cooperative and wanted to get the situation resolved (which as I posted, they did). I don't remember the number for them but I think I called Apple Store Customer Service as this was after the local store pretty much told me I'd have to pay for a new battery. I know I DID NOT talk to "Tech Support".
Anyway, after speaking with Customer Service, they called the local store, spoke to the manager and then called me back and told me to go down to the store and they will replace the battery for free (again, which they happily did. The local store people had a WHOLE different attitude after speaking with the Customer Service people).

coldjeanzzz

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 4, 2012
Went to see a Genius, as I expected he said it would be $130 to replace the battery. Guess I'm just gonna have to see if my CC company will cover it (which they should!)

Jimbo47

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2010
Mine is also doing this. It happened right after I installed Mavericks and I thought it was due to that. I didn't notice any difference at first, but lately when I go to use it the battery is completely dead.

coldjeanzzz

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 4, 2012
Excellent news! My piece of **** CC company wouldn't reimburse me for the battery because they claimed perishable products like batteries won't be covered. I told them this was wrong because Apple WILL replace batteries under their initial one year warranty if they deteriorate at an abnormal rate. They didn't care.

So I went back to the GB today at my local Apple Store basically ready to bite the bullet and pay the $129 for the replacement battery and after another tech looked at my MBA he again verified the battery prematurely deteriorated and said my MBA was covered the under "Quality Program (E1)" warranty and I wouldn't be charged anything (even though I never bought AC and was past the 1 year warranty). I wasn't sure what that was but I decided not to even question it :D The first tech never mentioned anything about this the first time though which was weird.

Replacement was done within 1 hour and I now have a new battery with only 1 cycle on it. I think they might have even replaced my trackpad because it feels different when I click it (I was having problems with it in the past well).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.