Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jarruemota

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 26, 2010
Hi!

I've always liked digital photography. What I have mainly used for the past 2 years has been an iPhone 4S. My friend has a Canon T3i and I have use it sometimes. I read some reviews that mirror less cameras are the new trend but I really like the optical viewfinder in DSLR's and don't mind how big or bulky they are because I can use my phone to take pictures whenever I need more "portability". Anyways, I have come up between these two entry-level DSLR:

Nikon D3300 US$ 600 and new specs technology

or the more familiarised

Canon T5i US$ 750 and older specs technology

If there is someone who has bought one of them please post some comments on how they have worked for you and if you've like your buyer's choice.

soulreaver99

macrumors 68040
Aug 15, 2010
Southern California
Get the Nikon and save that $150 on a prime lens of 35 or 50mm.

Also, there's nothing wrong with a mirrorless camera. You can get the NEX 6 with an EVF and it takes FANTASTIC photos, easy to use and is as flexible as a DSLR if you are a beginner.

Hi!

I've always liked digital photography. What I have mainly used for the past 2 years has been an iPhone 4S. My friend has a Canon T3i and I have use it sometimes. I read some reviews that mirror less cameras are the new trend but I really like the optical viewfinder in DSLR's and don't mind how big or bulky they are because I can use my phone to take pictures whenever I need more "portability". Anyways, I have come up between these two entry-level DSLR:

or the more familiarised

If there is someone who has bought one of them please post some comments on how they have worked for you and if you've like your buyer's choice.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Hi!

or the more familiarised

I had the Nikon D3200 with 18-55 mm lens and it was a great little camera. However the more important thing to consider is what are you wanting to shoot and what lens (or lenses) you will need. If you are on a budget, have a look at second hand equipment. Lots of people sell there stuff on so you can get a real bargain (often with extras thrown in). Try to buy from a camera shop rather than eBay though. You will pay a little more, but should get some sort of warranty.

Meister

Suspended
Oct 10, 2013
I second the D3300. It had raving reviews and Nikon has awesome lenses.
The D3300 is an "entry-level" dslr with pro quality.

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
Hi!

or the more familiarised

The results will be quite similar other than perhaps in very dark conditions where newer sensors fare better than older ones. If your friend has a good collection of lenses and external flashes and you're able to borrow them, then that should probably be a major consideration. Amazon.com shows a $2 price difference between the bodies, not $150. The newer camera will almost always have better specs at any given price point- but there's also always a newer camera coming with even better specs. If borrowing gear isn't a consideration, then I'd go with the Nikon between the two, but you'll ultimately be happy with either camera. If possible, fondle, erm, handle two or three models in each manufacturer's line to see how their ergonomics fit in your hands- that could swing you one way or another.

Paul

nburwell

macrumors 603
May 6, 2008
DE
You honestly will be happy with whichever of the two cameras you go with. Although I might be more inclined to go with the Nikon (cheaper option) so you can invest in a nice prime lens (50mm f/1.8), depending on what you shoot. Obviously both are beginner DSLR cameras, but they will certainly give you more opportunities and situations to shoot in over your iPhone. While the iPhone is no slouch of a camera, you're able to control the aperture and shutter speed with a DSLR, along with shooting in low light situations, and have images that still look good even printed out.

All in all, you can't go wrong with either camera. If possible, try going to a local camera store or even Best Buy and hold each of the cameras in your hand, along with play around with each menu system. You can make an informed decision from there.

AlaskaMoose

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2008
Alaska
The results will be quite similar other than perhaps in very dark conditions where newer sensors fare better than older ones. If your friend has a good collection of lenses and external flashes and you're able to borrow them, then that should probably be a major consideration. Amazon.com shows a $2 price difference between the bodies, not $150. The newer camera will almost always have better specs at any given price point- but there's also always a newer camera coming with even better specs. If borrowing gear isn't a consideration, then I'd go with the Nikon between the two, but you'll ultimately be happy with either camera. If possible, fondle, erm, handle two or three models in each manufacturer's line to see how their ergonomics fit in your hands- that could swing you one way or another.

Paul

Good advice, Paul.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California

or the more familiarised

Canon T5i US$ 750 and older specs technology.

The thing about SLR bodies like those is that you will want a lens, or maybe two or three of them eventually. You might plan ahead and loom at when each company offers and which of those you'd want to buy. If you buy Nikon you will be buying Nikon lens and later when you replace the body, it will have to be Nikon also. Think WAY ahead.

I never like the advice to "handle" one of the SLR bodies in the shop. Why make a decision about the next three lenses you buy and the next body you buy based on the shape of one entry level SLR body? Look over the offerings of the company. You are choosing a camera company NOT just one entry level SLR body

My opinion: Typically at a given price point, Nikon wins on ergonomics, canon on features. I think Nikon'sentry level lenses are better while at the top end both are very good.

Also don't over look used SLRs. You can buy see for less then 1/2 the above prices leaving more room in the budget for better lenses. Used lenses are also good values. Buying a used nikon lens is more complex because they have made so many different types.

A lot depends of if you want to shoot much video

Last edited:

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
Get the D3300. It has the same, excellent sensor and IQ (unlike, say, the Sony A3000/A5000 vs. the A6000) as the D5300 / D7100.

gnomeisland

macrumors 65816
Jul 30, 2008
New York, NY
Hi!

or the more familiarised

Neither. Get the Sony A6000 which is smaller, better IQ, and focuses faster. Or the NEX-6 which is about on par with the D3300, even cheaper, smaller, and you can buy the very good SEL50mm or SEL35mm.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.