Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

coconutboy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 23, 2014
When I load images to a file in Macbook Pro, I can see the image. Once I have worked on it and then re-saved it to the file, I can no longer see the image in any view: just the boy & a camera replaces the image. Frustrating because can't see what the image is unless opening it? How can I stop this from happening?

Attachments

• why this happens.png
    why this happens.png
    2.7 MB · Views: 185
  • image problem 2.jpg
    image problem 2.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 195

firedept

macrumors 603
Jul 8, 2011
Somewhere!
When I load images to a file in Macbook Pro, I can see the image. Once I have worked on it and then re-saved it to the file, I can no longer see the image in any view: just the boy & a camera replaces the image. Frustrating because can't see what the image is unless opening it? How can I stop this from happening?

Only one of two reason I can think of off the top of my head that could possibly cause this.

First would be a setting in your Preferences in PS>File Handling>File Saving Options. Make sure you have Icon and Windows Thumbnail checked. Screenshot below to show you.

Second would be the View Options you have for the folders you are saving the files to. Check them by going to one the the folders and right clicking and then to Show View Options, when the new menu opens, make sure you have Always open in icon view, Browse in icon view and Show icon preview checked. Screenshots below to show you.

Hope this helps.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-07-24 at 6.47.03 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-07-24 at 6.47.03 AM.png
    83.4 KB · Views: 162
  • Screen Shot 2014-07-24 at 6.49.56 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-07-24 at 6.49.56 AM.png
    16 KB · Views: 249
  • Screen Shot 2014-07-24 at 6.49.09 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-07-24 at 6.49.09 AM.png
    29 KB · Views: 122

coconutboy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 23, 2014
viewing images ...

hi & thanks firedept

double-checked all that you outlined (see attachment), and all checks out .... but still doing it!
even last night I experimented with another small folder of six images, all fine, took them into CS6, made small different type of changes to them, saved them back, and now they're all the boy & camera icon !! can't see the image ....
very frustrating .... but i'll keep at it :)

Attachments

• image problem .jpg
    image problem .jpg
    443 KB · Views: 114

PrePressAcrobat

macrumors member
Nov 2, 2010
What if you do a "Get info" on a pix.
Select Always open with ... Photoshop
then pick
do this with all files of this type(or something like that).

MSD

coconutboy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 23, 2014
viewing images ...

Hi PrePressAcrobat

Thanks for that. I'll look into that as well. However, since my last thread, I've opened a new folder, made sure the settings were set as outlined in previous thread from firedept, inserted 3 identical images, made sure default was at "icon" and then did some work on them in CS6. So far, all have retained the ability to see the image, and have not changed to that Preview Icon of "boy+camera." I've also restarted macbook & still all OK.
So maybe that default has to be there at the beginning .... anyway, keeping my fingers crossed, but I'll also set up a trial folder and do what you suggest "Always open in Photoshop", and see what happens.

coconutboy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 23, 2014
viewing images prob

Hi there PrePressAcrobat & firedept ..

even more confused now .... just did 4 images in new folder, all preferences set up as has been outlined .... changed 2 images & "saved". changed other 2 to photo & film-tv templates, and "saved as".
Result:
in the folder, can view all six, but when I open that folder in CS6, the two that were "saved as" are now "boy+camera" icon, and can not see image !!!

and yet ... that hasn't happened to the 3 I worked on earlier ... if I open the folder or open it in CS6 ... I get all images!!

crazy :)

Attachments

• image view prob.jpg
    image view prob.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 119

coconutboy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 23, 2014
image view + Premiere Pro CS6

More testing, and it "would appear" that any image that I take into CS6 and then "save as", once I then import that "saved as" image into Premiere Pro, back in the folder it will change to that "boy+camera" icon.

It does not happen if I import an original image into PP ... only if it was "saved as" .... which is most of them as I put them into a film & video template ....

Does this make any sense? And obviously, I will now look into some PP forums..

thanks

firedept

macrumors 603
Jul 8, 2011
Somewhere!

More testing, and it "would appear" that any image that I take into CS6 and then "save as", once I then import that "saved as" image into Premiere Pro, back in the folder it will change to that "boy+camera" icon.

It does not happen if I import an original image into PP ... only if it was "saved as" .... which is most of them as I put them into a film & video template ....

Does this make any sense? And obviously, I will now look into some PP forums..

thanks

Here is my last possible suggestion. If this does not work, then I will have to leave it to other forum members to offer further suggestions, as I will be out of ideas.

Try these in the order I have them posted:

1. Reboot the machine.

2. Open the folder in Finder, select Show View Options, put a check next to Show icon preview. If it's checked, uncheck it, close the window, open it back up and check it again.

3. Go to Library>Preferences and move the com.apple.finder.plist file to the desktop. Log out and back in. If this fixes it, you can delete the file. This is going to reset all your Finder preferences to default.

coconutboy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 23, 2014
image view

thanks for that tip. i will give it try ... I have determined that it only happens after a "saved as" image as been imported into PremPro CS6, so if your tip doesn't work, I'll go down that route.

thanks again for all your assistance

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.