Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

plix

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 2, 2014
Hey all. It's a 2013, 15' base model rMBP. Warranty expires in 2 months. No scratches, dents, or anything. Cycle count is less than 200.

Asking price is $1500 CAD.

I'm just comparing the above price with the 999+tax price of the 13 MBA (it will come close to 1300 with the tax). So clearly the difference is negligible in the price.

The deal seems to be a good one but I'm still not completely sure it....makes sense so to speak.

Thoughts?

macrumors regular
Sep 22, 2013
Knoxvegas
Hey all. It's a 2013, 15' base model rMBP. Warranty expires in 2 months. No scratches, dents, or anything. Cycle count is less than 200.

I'm just comparing the above price with the 999+tax price of the 13 MBA (it will come close to 1300 with the tax). So clearly the difference is negligible in the price.

The deal seems to be a good one but I'm still not completely sure it....makes sense so to speak.

Thoughts?

do not buy a mac book air. FWIW I bought a Me294LL/A 2 months ago for $2,225 USD. NEW. 1500 CAD for a base 15 seems pretty good IMO. Is is a mid 2013 model? if so that is a screaming deal and I would go for it. also my computer has 50 cycle counts, which gives you a good idea, I would estimate the computer you are looking at has been drained and charged every day for about 8 months. this is compared to my cycle count and usage since I got this machine in may. lmk if you have more questions, but my opinion is yes go for this, and if you can find a ME294LL/A go for that, it's a phenomenal computer

Sifinity

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2014
Texas
do not buy a mac book air. FWIW I bought a Me294LL/A 2 months ago for $2,225 USD. NEW. 1500 CAD for a base 15 seems pretty good IMO. Is is a mid 2013 model? if so that is a screaming deal and I would go for it. also my computer has 50 cycle counts, which gives you a good idea, I would estimate the computer you are looking at has been drained and charged every day for about 8 months. this is compared to my cycle count and usage since I got this machine in may. lmk if you have more questions, but my opinion is yes go for this, and if you can find a ME294LL/A go for that, it's a phenomenal computer

how do you check cycle counts ?

Harinoorvirk28

macrumors member
Jul 17, 2014

Thoughts?

I would buy it! :)

plix

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 2, 2014
Yeah it seems like a good deal. I'm just trying to imagine the portability as this will be what I will use in lectures, etc. I already have an iMac 27' at home so I'm kinda thinking that forking the extra cash on a computer that won't be main computer seems pointless.

I also just sent an email asking if this an early or mid 2013 model. Will post an update when I get a reply.

plix

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 2, 2014
Update: It's a February 2013 model...is that a downside?

Sifinity

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2014
Texas
kinda ; cause your getting ivy bridge chips ; then its not really that good of a deal imo

----------

the upgraded version of that one with the 650m gpu is $1699 in the certified refurbished store(CAD) at the moment

Sifinity

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2014
Texas
yes we thought it was october 2013 which is the newest. not sure if it's a good deal any more.

----------

apple > about this mac > more info > system report > power > look under 'health information'

my mac is 2 years old and it says it has only 209 cycles ; is that good?

Orr

macrumors 6502
Oct 8, 2013
Not a great deal for previous generation tech. That's also a significant amount of battery cycles for its age. Not worth more than $1400 tops, probably closer to $1350. Should be able to find a current Haswell 15" Iris Pro rMBP for ~$1500 on CL, which is a superior machine.

x3n0n1c

macrumors regular
Jul 9, 2014
As an engineer, I'm glad I'm not the only one that noticed this. In engineering mistaking 15' for 15" could be a very costly mistake.

Haha, very true.

I remember there was some sort of space faring object that was a collaboration between multiple countries that had massive issued because the US teams in all their wisdom decided to use Imperial measurements instead of Metric like the rest of the teams working on the project.

Suffice to say things didn't work haha. :p

I say space faring because I honestly cannot remember if it was a rocket, satellite, space station or what.

***edit***

It was likely this I was thinking of.

http://www.cnn.com/TECH/space/9909/30/mars.metric.02/

TechZeke

macrumors 68020
Jul 29, 2012
Dallas, TX
Haha, very true.

I remember there was some sort of space faring object that was a collaboration between multiple countries that had massive issued because the US teams in all their wisdom decided to use Imperial measurements instead of Metric like the rest of the teams working on the project.

I say space faring because I honestly cannot remember if it was a rocket, satellite, space station or what.

***edit***

My Vector Statics teacher would always cite this as an example of why screwing up units on quizzes and test got you a zero. Hard to argue with him when a $125 million spacecraft goes down because of units. "A silly answer deserves a silly grade, zero"

plix

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 2, 2014
why air? no 13" retina?

I like the retina. I'm just thinking that portability is more important for a school laptop. I already wear glasses and have vision issues so I can definitely see the advantage of a retina - I'm not sure if the extra $ is worth it.

Sifinity

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2014
Texas
I like the retina. I'm just thinking that portability is more important for a school laptop. I already wear glasses and have vision issues so I can definitely see the advantage of a retina - I'm not sure if the extra $ is worth it.

the 13" retina is only .5 lbs more than the 13" air , imo .5 lbs is really not that much that it would affect portability

x3n0n1c

macrumors regular
Jul 9, 2014

The 13" rMBP is actually smaller than the Air.

Design_1.jpg

velvetlounger

macrumors member
Jun 12, 2012
Haha, very true.

***edit***

Pretty sure it was the Hubble telescope where the difference in units between the EU and US caused problems in how the mirror was shaped.

plix

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 2, 2014
Guys! I found (I think) a great deal for a 13' rMBP. October 2013 model, 8GB RAM and 256GB SSD. Brand new.

For $1400 CAD. That's 100 less than the price of the exact refurbished model. I offered him a lower price but I think 1400 is what we will settle on (assuming he reject my first offer).

What do you all think? :cool:

Harinoorvirk28

macrumors member
Jul 17, 2014
Guys! I found (I think) a great deal for a 13' rMBP. October 2013 model, 8GB RAM and 256GB SSD. Brand new.

For $1400 CAD. That's 100 less than the price of the exact refurbished model. I offered him a lower price but I think 1400 is what we will settle on (assuming he reject my first offer).

What do you all think? :cool:

i would rather buy the 15 inch one that you were getting before

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.