Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Jul 24, 2014, 09:41 PM   #51
1080p
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by roland.g View Post
What this article doesn't address is the systemic download failure rate part of the process. Many users experienced issues with getting their codes. The beta page went down because of problems and that is understandable. However, Apple rolled Mavericks out through the Mac App Store as well as countless updates to the OS and all the 3rd party apps they sell. Mavericks didn't have the download bugs that this "limited" beta has and continues to have.

Apple has no issue selling movies from the iTunes Store, some of which are 7-12GB in size. And yet many many users reported that when they try to download this 5GB Yosemite build that it simply fails time after time, getting anywhere from .5 to 4.5GB complete, often restarting itself at 0MB and then beginning the process again, only to ultimately fail.

"An error has occurred"

"Try your purchase tab again"

This happens over and over for some users but not for others. You can't begin where you left off, and internet speed is not a factor. Doesn't matter if you reboot, empty trash, clear caches. There is no apparent fix. And of course no actual help from Apple.

Sorry Apple, we realize this is a public beta, but this part of the process should be fairly simply and straightforward.

FAIL is the message we get over and over. Fail is what it is then.
You should contact Apple right away and request a refund for what you paid for the beta!
Old Jul 24, 2014, 09:46 PM   #52
roland.g
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1080p View Post
You should contact Apple right away and request a refund for what you paid for the beta!
Mavericks was a free upgrade. Didn't "pay" for that.

BTW, can you tell me the difference between a sledgehammer and a mallet?
Old Jul 24, 2014, 09:46 PM   #53
jahall05
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickgmac View Post
If anyone is stupid enough to run on primary machine.

Be aware outlook is not stable. You won't be able to open your main window. You will be able to send emails.

One work around is to remove your Identity and recreate. or try a rebuild but reports are that this only temporary works.

You should all check out http://roaringapps.com
before so you can check app compatibility and even give feed back on that site so others know any issues
Outlook is working fine for me. 2011 version on cMBP 13" Mid-2012.
jahall05 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2014, 09:51 PM   #54
jayducharme
macrumors 68020

So far I'm very happy I installed it. A few of my older programs didn't work, but I expected that. There seems to be an inconsistency in the design, though. Apple's own pro apps, for instance, still have their old interface in Yosemite, while most third party apps look fine.

I'm running it on a 1080p monitor, and I'm seeing very little of the transparency (only on drop-down menus). But too much transparency would probably drive me nuts anyway.

So far, though, I'm really impressed with it. And most applications do seen speedier, especially Safari.
jayducharme is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2014, 09:52 PM   #55
BSben
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by roland.g View Post
What this article doesn't address is the systemic download failure rate part of the process. Many users experienced issues with getting their codes. The beta page went down because of problems and that is understandable. However, Apple rolled Mavericks out through the Mac App Store as well as countless updates to the OS and all the 3rd party apps they sell. Mavericks didn't have the download bugs that this "limited" beta has and continues to have.

Apple has no issue selling movies from the iTunes Store, some of which are 7-12GB in size. And yet many many users reported that when they try to download this 5GB Yosemite build that it simply fails time after time, getting anywhere from .5 to 4.5GB complete, often restarting itself at 0MB and then beginning the process again, only to ultimately fail.

"An error has occurred"

"Try your purchase tab again"

This happens over and over for some users but not for others. You can't begin where you left off, and internet speed is not a factor. Doesn't matter if you reboot, empty trash, clear caches. There is no apparent fix. And of course no actual help from Apple.

Sorry Apple, we realize this is a public beta, but this part of the process should be fairly simply and straightforward.

FAIL is the message we get over and over. Fail is what it is then.
It is really important that people like you complain about the chance to test ride FREE beta software. Considering how mad some of us fanboys are, I am surprised I actually managed to download it in the end on the FIRST day.
Anyway, I am quite impressed so far. Once optimising and indexing had been done, it is a breath of life to even an old machine
BSben is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2014, 09:57 PM   #56
Infernos
macrumors newbie

Install went well. Took about 20 minutes, maybe less. I wasn't really paying that much attention to it. No big issues so far. Typical for what I expect out of Beta software. Finder restarted itself a few times. I REALLY hope they change the default folder color. It's horrible. Now I'm off to abuse the hell out of it to see what it can really do.
Infernos is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2014, 09:58 PM   #57
violst
macrumors 6502

Does any one know what version of open Gl 10.10 is using?
Old Jul 24, 2014, 10:05 PM   #58
Saturn1217
macrumors 6502a

Who else has sent Apple like a dozen feedback requests already? I am trying not to abuse the feedback app but I can't seem to help myself. Hopefully OSX 10.11 is the 2nd coming of Snow Leopard. I still really miss that OS
Old Jul 24, 2014, 10:07 PM   #59
roland.g
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSben View Post
It is really important that people like you complain about the chance to test ride FREE beta software. Considering how mad some of us fanboys are, I am surprised I actually managed to download it in the end on the FIRST day.
Anyway, I am quite impressed so far. Once optimising and indexing had been done, it is a breath of life to even an old machine
Awesome you agree then. As I do you think that Apple should tell 1 million users they can beta test it, but then randomly select a percentage of those users to try it out and the rest to be subjected to a rather frustrating process, where the bug in the process seems potentially unfixable.

I thought that was the best way to do it.

I couldn't have thought up more fun way to beta test it if I had tried.
Old Jul 24, 2014, 10:08 PM   #60
nepalisherpa
macrumors 68000

I have it installed on a separate partition on my 11" Air and I have had no issues at all. While some have complained that the interface is not as good looking on non-retina devices, I think it looks better than Mavericks.
Old Jul 24, 2014, 10:09 PM   #61
Jess13
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRainKing View Post
Why did they bother with all this Dark Mode stuff when they could have just copied F.lux? It would have been so much simpler.
It is partly because: http://www.obsidianmenubar.com
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2014-07-24 at 7.08.36 PM.png
Views:	131
Size:	98.7 KB
ID:	482149  
Jess13 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2014, 10:12 PM   #62
Mtmspa
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderSkunk View Post
How Apple went from getting more and more elegant and refined with their UI design, to more bland, cluttered, illegible... first iOS, now OSX?

wtf is going on over there, and is there any way of stopping it?
Yes, use something else and stop whining.
Mtmspa is offline   9 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2014, 10:12 PM   #63
Jcknows0
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlody View Post
Is it possible to install Yosemite as a virtual machine using vmware fusion 6?
I would pretty much assume no. But as in previous years, vmware is pretty good about issuing there own developer version that should work

Logged into my vmware account (used for testing versions not available with work ESXi/vCenter software) and downloaded developer preview. I usually use Parallels as it runs much smoother on OSX but don't really run it on my Haswell 13" rMBP. Its installing right now and for the first time since I got this laptop 7 months ago, I am feeling heat on my lap. Not sure if its Yosemite install or Developer Preview (I'm assuming its vmware since as I stated I'm not a fan of it on OSX)

Last edited by Jcknows0; Jul 24, 2014 at 10:56 PM.
Jcknows0 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2014, 10:13 PM   #64
iOSaddict
Banned

Im downloading it now. Very excited but a bit anxious to install it. It's a beta after all so bugs are expected -.-
iOSaddict is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2014, 10:18 PM   #65
hthomas
macrumors member

anyone using this on their main machine? How is it preforming?

I thought about partitioning my HD but I don't have enough space to copy over all my files for both systems. Thinking about installing it on my Air which is my main computer.
hthomas is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2014, 10:19 PM   #66
SanFran95
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturn1217 View Post
Who else has sent Apple like a dozen feedback requests already? I am trying not to abuse the feedback app but I can't seem to help myself. Hopefully OSX 10.11 is the 2nd coming of Snow Leopard. I still really miss that OS
I've done so too - hope they don't suspend people from making feedbacks, if they aren't useful enough or anything... :roll eyes: Guess they sort it out - what is useful feedback and what isn't! May it be the best OS X to date :-)
Old Jul 24, 2014, 10:33 PM   #67
Traverse
macrumors 68030

I don't really care for the design. I've used it about 7 hours today and I find the Safari UI transparancy distracting.

Also, some choices are just counterproductive. Some drop down menu fonts are too light and certain text is hard to read.

Also, I don't really care for the transparancy, but it's growing on me.
Traverse is online now   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2014, 10:34 PM   #68
pure-rockstar
Banned

I love the wallpaper in the photo on this story!

Is that how Yosemite really looks? It's so chic and futuristic!
pure-rockstar is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2014, 10:41 PM   #69
Traverse
macrumors 68030

I also have issues with Safari when I have the Favorites bar always showing. Sometimes the tab bar replaces it and when I enter the Tab switcher page and open a second tab, the widow stays the same size so when I close one tab the window shrinks. This happened several times and my Safari window kept shrinking.
Traverse is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2014, 10:41 PM   #70
jontech
macrumors 6502

Only major issue I am seeing so far is the lack of ability to save to iCloud in Pages and iWork apps even when you opt out of iCloud drive.
Old Jul 24, 2014, 10:44 PM   #71
ROBBJR
macrumors newbie

Redeem Code Won't Reset

Bugs and Issues
A lot of users have received an error message suggesting their Yosemite codes had already been redeemed after requesting a code. According to Apple, simply refreshing the beta page will provide an entirely new code.

I switched from Firefox to Safari and the same redeem code # appeared and said it had been already redeemed. Rebooted, etc and same scenario. I believe I have to stop either browser from remember data in the fields so that it will refresh with a new redeem number?
ROBBJR is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2014, 10:45 PM   #72
MacVista
macrumors regular

Apple again imposing their design ideas on their customers.
There is no reason why they can't do what Microsoft does, letting the user change themes as they please.
Then, they came up with the 'no start button' of Windows 8 with no going back, and it was a major disaster.
MacVista is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2014, 10:46 PM   #73
jontech
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by jontech View Post
Only major issue I am seeing so far is the lack of ability to save to iCloud in Pages and iWork apps even when you opt out of iCloud drive.
btw, as a workaround just saving to Dropbox for now

Love the new look, iTunes is pretty fantastic
Old Jul 24, 2014, 10:52 PM   #74
chewbaka
macrumors newbie

Dark Mode

Using a pink flower wallpaper defeats the purpose of dark mode. If you use a dark wallpaper, it looks great!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2014-07-24 at 9.51.57 PM.png
Views:	301
Size:	719.4 KB
ID:	482155  
chewbaka is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2014, 10:53 PM   #75
mashinhead
macrumors 68020

i dont understand how it works. how do you download it. it opens the app store, accepts the code and takes you to the homepage.... and then what? where is the download?

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion