Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Agent OrangeZ

macrumors 68040
Mar 17, 2010
Planet Earth
What this article doesn't address is the systemic download failure rate part of the process. Many users experienced issues with getting their codes. The beta page went down because of problems and that is understandable. However, Apple rolled Mavericks out through the Mac App Store as well as countless updates to the OS and all the 3rd party apps they sell. Mavericks didn't have the download bugs that this "limited" beta has and continues to have.

Apple has no issue selling movies from the iTunes Store, some of which are 7-12GB in size. And yet many many users reported that when they try to download this 5GB Yosemite build that it simply fails time after time, getting anywhere from .5 to 4.5GB complete, often restarting itself at 0MB and then beginning the process again, only to ultimately fail.

"An error has occurred"

"Try your purchase tab again"

This happens over and over for some users but not for others. You can't begin where you left off, and internet speed is not a factor. Doesn't matter if you reboot, empty trash, clear caches. There is no apparent fix. And of course no actual help from Apple.

Sorry Apple, we realize this is a public beta, but this part of the process should be fairly simply and straightforward.

FAIL is the message we get over and over. Fail is what it is then.

You should contact Apple right away and request a refund for what you paid for the beta!

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
You should contact Apple right away and request a refund for what you paid for the beta!

Mavericks was a free upgrade. Didn't "pay" for that.

BTW, can you tell me the difference between a sledgehammer and a mallet?

jahall05

macrumors 6502
Jul 30, 2013
If anyone is stupid enough to run on primary machine.

Be aware outlook is not stable. You won't be able to open your main window. You will be able to send emails.

One work around is to remove your Identity and recreate. or try a rebuild but reports are that this only temporary works.

You should all check out http://roaringapps.com
before so you can check app compatibility and even give feed back on that site so others know any issues

Outlook is working fine for me. 2011 version on cMBP 13" Mid-2012.

jayducharme

macrumors 601
Jun 22, 2006
The thick of it
So far I'm very happy I installed it. A few of my older programs didn't work, but I expected that. There seems to be an inconsistency in the design, though. Apple's own pro apps, for instance, still have their old interface in Yosemite, while most third party apps look fine.

I'm running it on a 1080p monitor, and I'm seeing very little of the transparency (only on drop-down menus). But too much transparency would probably drive me nuts anyway.

So far, though, I'm really impressed with it. And most applications do seen speedier, especially Safari.

BSben

macrumors 65816
May 16, 2012
UK
What this article doesn't address is the systemic download failure rate part of the process. Many users experienced issues with getting their codes. The beta page went down because of problems and that is understandable. However, Apple rolled Mavericks out through the Mac App Store as well as countless updates to the OS and all the 3rd party apps they sell. Mavericks didn't have the download bugs that this "limited" beta has and continues to have.

Apple has no issue selling movies from the iTunes Store, some of which are 7-12GB in size. And yet many many users reported that when they try to download this 5GB Yosemite build that it simply fails time after time, getting anywhere from .5 to 4.5GB complete, often restarting itself at 0MB and then beginning the process again, only to ultimately fail.

"An error has occurred"

"Try your purchase tab again"

This happens over and over for some users but not for others. You can't begin where you left off, and internet speed is not a factor. Doesn't matter if you reboot, empty trash, clear caches. There is no apparent fix. And of course no actual help from Apple.

Sorry Apple, we realize this is a public beta, but this part of the process should be fairly simply and straightforward.

FAIL is the message we get over and over. Fail is what it is then.

It is really important that people like you complain about the chance to test ride FREE beta software. Considering how mad some of us fanboys are, I am surprised I actually managed to download it in the end on the FIRST day.
Anyway, I am quite impressed so far. Once optimising and indexing had been done, it is a breath of life to even an old machine

Infernos

macrumors member
Install went well. Took about 20 minutes, maybe less. I wasn't really paying that much attention to it. No big issues so far. Typical for what I expect out of Beta software. Finder restarted itself a few times. I REALLY hope they change the default folder color. It's horrible. Now I'm off to abuse the hell out of it to see what it can really do.

Saturn1217

macrumors 65816
Apr 28, 2008
Who else has sent Apple like a dozen feedback requests already? I am trying not to abuse the feedback app but I can't seem to help myself. Hopefully OSX 10.11 is the 2nd coming of Snow Leopard. I still really miss that OS :(

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
It is really important that people like you complain about the chance to test ride FREE beta software. Considering how mad some of us fanboys are, I am surprised I actually managed to download it in the end on the FIRST day.
Anyway, I am quite impressed so far. Once optimising and indexing had been done, it is a breath of life to even an old machine

Awesome you agree then. As I do you think that Apple should tell 1 million users they can beta test it, but then randomly select a percentage of those users to try it out and the rest to be subjected to a rather frustrating process, where the bug in the process seems potentially unfixable.

I thought that was the best way to do it.

I couldn't have thought up more fun way to beta test it if I had tried.

nepalisherpa

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2011
USA
I have it installed on a separate partition on my 11" Air and I have had no issues at all. While some have complained that the interface is not as good looking on non-retina devices, I think it looks better than Mavericks.

Jess13

Suspended
Nov 3, 2013

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-07-24 at 7.08.36 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-07-24 at 7.08.36 PM.png
    98.7 KB · Views: 194

Mtmspa

Suspended
May 13, 2013
How Apple went from getting more and more elegant and refined with their UI design, to more bland, cluttered, illegible... first iOS, now OSX?

wtf is going on over there, and is there any way of stopping it?

Yes, use something else and stop whining.

Jcknows0

macrumors regular
Aug 14, 2013
0 Infinite Loop
Is it possible to install Yosemite as a virtual machine using vmware fusion 6?

I would pretty much assume no. But as in previous years, vmware is pretty good about issuing there own developer version that should work

Logged into my vmware account (used for testing versions not available with work ESXi/vCenter software) and downloaded developer preview. I usually use Parallels as it runs much smoother on OSX but don't really run it on my Haswell 13" rMBP. Its installing right now and for the first time since I got this laptop 7 months ago, I am feeling heat on my lap. Not sure if its Yosemite install or Developer Preview (I'm assuming its vmware since as I stated I'm not a fan of it on OSX)

Last edited:

iOSaddict

macrumors regular
Jun 3, 2014
Im downloading it now. Very excited but a bit anxious to install it. It's a beta after all so bugs are expected -.-

hthomas

macrumors member
Mar 16, 2010
anyone using this on their main machine? How is it preforming?

I thought about partitioning my HD but I don't have enough space to copy over all my files for both systems. Thinking about installing it on my Air which is my main computer.

SanFran95

macrumors member
Jul 18, 2014
Who else has sent Apple like a dozen feedback requests already? I am trying not to abuse the feedback app but I can't seem to help myself. Hopefully OSX 10.11 is the 2nd coming of Snow Leopard. I still really miss that OS :(

I've done so too - hope they don't suspend people from making feedbacks, if they aren't useful enough or anything... :eek: :roll eyes: Guess they sort it out - what is useful feedback and what isn't! May it be the best OS X to date :)

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
I don't really care for the design. I've used it about 7 hours today and I find the Safari UI transparancy distracting.

Also, some choices are just counterproductive. Some drop down menu fonts are too light and certain text is hard to read.

Also, I don't really care for the transparancy, but it's growing on me.

pure-rockstar

macrumors regular
Jul 24, 2014
:eek: I love the wallpaper in the photo on this story!

Is that how Yosemite really looks? It's so chic and futuristic!

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
I also have issues with Safari when I have the Favorites bar always showing. Sometimes the tab bar replaces it and when I enter the Tab switcher page and open a second tab, the widow stays the same size so when I close one tab the window shrinks. This happened several times and my Safari window kept shrinking.

jontech

macrumors 6502
Feb 26, 2010
Hawaii
Only major issue I am seeing so far is the lack of ability to save to iCloud in Pages and iWork apps even when you opt out of iCloud drive.

ROBBJR

macrumors newbie
Oct 17, 2011
Redeem Code Won't Reset

Bugs and Issues
A lot of users have received an error message suggesting their Yosemite codes had already been redeemed after requesting a code. According to Apple, simply refreshing the beta page will provide an entirely new code.

I switched from Firefox to Safari and the same redeem code # appeared and said it had been already redeemed. Rebooted, etc and same scenario. I believe I have to stop either browser from remember data in the fields so that it will refresh with a new redeem number?

MacVista

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2007
Apple again imposing their design ideas on their customers.
There is no reason why they can't do what Microsoft does, letting the user change themes as they please.
Then, they came up with the 'no start button' of Windows 8 with no going back, and it was a major disaster.

jontech

macrumors 6502
Feb 26, 2010
Hawaii
Only major issue I am seeing so far is the lack of ability to save to iCloud in Pages and iWork apps even when you opt out of iCloud drive.

btw, as a workaround just saving to Dropbox for now

Love the new look, iTunes is pretty fantastic

chewbaka

macrumors regular
Jun 2, 2014
Dark Mode

Using a pink flower wallpaper defeats the purpose of dark mode. If you use a dark wallpaper, it looks great!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-07-24 at 9.51.57 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-07-24 at 9.51.57 PM.png
    719.4 KB · Views: 370

mashinhead

macrumors 68030
Oct 7, 2003
i dont understand how it works. how do you download it. it opens the app store, accepts the code and takes you to the homepage.... and then what? where is the download?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.