Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

gmail.png
Google today updated its Gmail for iOS app to version 3.14159, adding improved integration with its Google Drive storage solution.

It's now possible to save email attachments directly to Google Drive, making them accessible everywhere and saving storage space. Users are also able to insert Google Drive files directly into messages. Google has also included new account management options and the ability to change a profile picture in the Settings menu.
- Save attachments directly to Google Drive so you can access them anywhere while saving space and bandwidth on your device
- Insert Google Drive files directly into messages
- New account management options to choose which accounts you want to have visible in Gmail without removing accounts from your device.
- Change your profile picture (in Settings)
Gmail is a universal app that can be downloaded from the App Store for free. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Gmail for iOS Updated With Improved Google Drive Integration

Z400Racer37

macrumors 6502a
Feb 7, 2011
lmao I think nerd just got put up to like a whole 'nother lever with that version number hahaha :D

iolinux333

macrumors 68000
Feb 9, 2014
IMHO CloudMagic blows Gmail away for accessing both iCloud and Gmail. And it is free and includes app level password protection.

octothorpe8

macrumors 6502
Feb 27, 2014
Mailbox has this same kind of feature, but with Dropbox instead of Drive. I'll be sticking with Mailbox, personally.

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012
That is not pi, it’s the NSA passcode used to access your email. :D

Personally, I am very happy with my me.com email address. I like Apple providing my mail services and not Google. My belief (and I could just be drinking Kool-Aid, I know) is that Apple does not sell or give my data to ad companies or government agencies as easily or for profit the way that Google does. It’s not that Google is bad, they tell you up front that they are going to read all your emails and use it to put up more targeted ads. I just prefer that no one read my emails. Even with Apple, once I am done with the email, I download them to my desktop and store them there; only current emails are on the server.

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012

Personally, I am very happy with my me.com email address. I like Apple providing my mail services and not Google. My belief (and I could just be drinking Kool-Aid, I know) is that Apple does not sell or give my data to ad companies or government agencies as easily or for profit the way that Google does. It’s not that Google is bad, they tell you up front that they are going to read all your emails and use it to put up more targeted ads. I just prefer that no one read my emails. Even with Apple, once I am done with the email, I download them to my desktop and store them there; only current emails are on the server.

----------

This is embarrassing that I posted twice. Maybe I should post once again with a little extra to make it 3.14159 times.

Oh wait I just did :eek:

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011

How did no one comment that is pi? Google has a sense of humor!
LOL...must be intentional. :)
They've been doing that for some time. There were Gmail app updates numbered 2.7182 followed by 2.71828 (which are both representations of 'e' or Euler's number). Don't think they did it with version 1 using something like the golden ratio though.

----------

I dont understand why this app even exist when gmail is built into iOS
You don't get the same level of (Gmail) control as you do with the Gmail app (like labels, etc.). Plus push notifications, which don't really exist in iOS for Gmail anymore.

bkribbs

macrumors 65816
Jan 15, 2012
They've been doing that for some time. There were Gmail app updates numbered 2.7182 followed by 2.71828 (which are both representations of 'e' or Euler's number). Don't think they did it with version 1 using something like the golden ratio though.

----------

You don't get the same level of (Gmail) control as you do with the Gmail app (like labels, etc.). Plus push notifications, which don't really exist in iOS for Gmail anymore.

LOL...must be intentional. :)

I never knew that! That's awesome!

jazzbo

macrumors member
Oct 11, 2008
Bangor, ME

And there are older traditions of doing this with software that long predate google. Donald Knuth has numbered the versions of TeX with a number increasingly approaching pi since it hit version 3, which was 25 years ago. Famously he's said that he wants it changed to just π after he passes. His METAFONT program has used representations of e for at least that long.

newagemac

macrumors 68020
Mar 31, 2010

Because Google doesn't want people using IMAP or mail programs they don't control. They can't put ads into your iOS email app or read your emails and track you easily. With the gmail app they can do as they please.

l00pback

macrumors regular
May 28, 2010

Google no longer supports email push to the iOS Mail program, but it DOES push to the gmail app.

No, I don't like waiting 15 minutes for my email to show up.
Yes, it's a first-world problem.

bozzykid

macrumors 68020
Aug 11, 2009
They can't put ads into your iOS email app or read your emails and track you easily.

That is a bit over simplification and just plain wrong. Google doesn't need an iOS app to read your emails. Your emails are on their servers to begin with.

newagemac

macrumors 68020
Mar 31, 2010
That is a bit over simplification and just plain wrong. Google doesn't need an iOS app to read your emails. Your emails are on their servers to begin with.

No, actually the way gmail reads your email and serves up ads based on its contents requires them to do it client side. It happens as the email loads. However, the way IMAP works through a client, the email is pulled from google servers and downloaded to your device. So google doesn't have access to the email to run their Adsense scripts.

That's why they don't want you using the open source standards based IMAP protocol. They want you using their proprietary ad serving and tracking system which requires a web browser with JavaScript support or their gmail app which is just a web browser with a native wrapper.

bozzykid

macrumors 68020
Aug 11, 2009
No, actually the way gmail reads your email and serves up ads based on its contents requires them to do it client side.

Again, over simplification. Gmail scans your email before it reaches any client. Otherwise filters, labels, priority inbox, spam filters, etc would not work at all. The point is Google is not really gaining any useful information that they don't already have by releasing a iOS client. There is nothing lucrative about the Gmail iOS app. Now Google Maps is a different story.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.