Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chupachup

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 1, 2013
I just sold my Lenovo. Windows 8.1. The plan is to replace it with an iPad Air 2.

So far my paid needs are:

Photoshop Touch
iDraw
Anyfont

That's about it for now.

I think for what I do, the iPad can replace a laptop no problem. Windows was a nightmare.

I already bought a bag. I chose the Cocoon Harlem Sling with the Grid IT!

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007
I just sold my Lenovo. Windows was a nightmare.

Windows 8.1 is more naturally suited for a touchscreen device such as a tablet. On a PC or laptop that uses a mouse and keybd the experience is not as good but it has progressed since W8. I have W8.1 on my gaming rig and it's not that bad.

chupachup

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 1, 2013
Windows 8.1 is more naturally suited for a touchscreen device such as a tablet. On a PC or laptop that uses a mouse and keybd the experience is not as good but it has progressed since W8. I have W8.1 on my gaming rig and it's not that bad.

I know what it's like. I don't want to get into it. Takes too long.

Last edited:

chupachup

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 1, 2013
No need to get defensive. Fine, you don't like it and others have no problems with it. Enjoy ypur iPad. ;)

I never said I had problems with it.

What is it with this forum.

I said it was a nightmare.

A desktop OS isn't naturally suited for a tablet. The trackpad gestures work just fine. Windows sucks right now. Period. And I wouldn't want any version of it for a personal computer. It's insanity. If I want games I get a PlayStation.

Last edited:

Suspended
Sep 15, 2012
I never said I had problems with it.

What is it with this forum.

I said it was a nightmare.

A desktop OS isn't naturally suited for a tablet. The trackpad gestures work just fine. Windows sucks right now. Period. And I wouldn't want any version of it for a personal computer. It's insanity. If I want games I get a PlayStation.

The problem is you come across as a complete jerk in nearly every post you make. It's not the forum users, it's you.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
I just sold my Lenovo. Windows 8.1. The plan is to replace it with an iPad Air 2.

So far my paid needs are:

Photoshop Touch
iDraw
Anyfont

That's about it for now.

I think for what I do, the iPad can replace a laptop no problem. Windows was a nightmare.

I already bought a bag. I chose the Cocoon Harlem Sling with the Grid IT!

Do not feel like you are alone. I returned a factory ordered W540, over $3k due to problems right out of the box. Plus the keyboard had keys actually sticking. Tried one of the new Lenovo X1 Carbons and it was worst. Thinkpads are no what they used to be. Just got my 13" Air yesterday running Win7 Pro and WOW! Now if I could just find the backspace button!

I have been running two 27" Macs at the home and office and they all work great with the iPads. I am not going back.

saberahul

macrumors 68040
Nov 6, 2008
USA
Fn+Delete

I like using my mouse to put the cursor to the right of the letter that I wish to use the "Delete" key on. I then use my left arrow key to move the cursor to the left by one letter. Then I hold fn and press delete to do the function of "Delete". Of course, I could just use backspace (delete key on Mac) the first time but the extra work gives my fingers added workout.

Oh and in response to the OP's point: jerks FTW.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
I like using my mouse to put the cursor to the right of the letter that I wish to use the "Delete" key on. I then use my left arrow key to move the cursor to the left by one letter. Then I hold fn and press delete to do the function of "Delete". Of course, I could just use backspace (delete key on Mac) the first time but the extra work gives my fingers added workout.

Of course, if you are deleting something you just typed, then you just use backspace. But if you are editing a document, as you move up and down through typed lines, often the letters you want to delete end up in front of the cursor. Oh, and why use a mouse to position your cursor when arrow keys are faster, and you don't have to move your hands off the keyboard?

Badrottie

Suspended
May 8, 2011
Los Angeles
iPad Air 2 might come out on late October/early November. Are you ok with that? Just want to make sure you are aware of it. I mean you sold your Lenovo too early. :apple:

s2mikey

Suspended
Sep 23, 2013
Upstate, NY
iPad Air 2 might come out on late October/early November. Are you ok with that? Just want to make sure you are aware of it. I mean you sold your Lenovo too early. :apple:

Or, just get an Air. It's a terrific tablet and will do ya just fine. Unless there is a specific reason to wait for the second gen Air. Otherwise, yeah, it's gonna be a while.

ron7624

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2011
Houston, Texas area
I've got a Win 8.1 tablet. It's a fine piece of work, bit it ain't an iPad. I agree with your actions 100% but waiting for the iPad Air 2 seems a bit needless. The current Air is a masterpiece and the iPad Air 2 won't be that much of an upgrade. I'd pick up the current offering if I were you.

Last edited:

mrex

macrumors 68040
Jul 16, 2014
europe
Air1 as a masterpiece? Of crashing, low memory problems..? Sold mine because it was something else than a masterpiece. I definitely would wait to see specs for Air2. Air1 with 1gb ram was a mistake and totally waste of money. If you do just a light browsing it is fine, but as soon as keeping several tabs open or using some apps need more memory you have a problem. Apps refreshing, reloading etc..

chupachup

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 1, 2013
Do not feel like you are alone. I returned a factory ordered W540, over $3k due to problems right out of the box. Plus the keyboard had keys actually sticking. Tried one of the new Lenovo X1 Carbons and it was worst. Thinkpads are no what they used to be. Just got my 13" Air yesterday running Win7 Pro and WOW! Now if I could just find the backspace button!

I have been running two 27" Macs at the home and office and they all work great with the iPads. I am not going back.

My first Mac was an 11" Air late 2012. I swore I would never buy a windows PC ever. Unfortunately someone broke into my house and stole everything including my Macbook.

I got the lenovo a few months later as a replacement, but it didn't last long. Lat thing I remember was spending 2 days fixing it and installing all the updates back. Happened to me twice. The 8.1 update can only be installed through the store and when it fails it starts again. Its almost 4GB. Plus the countless gigabytes of 8.0 and 8.1 updates. Plus the "start" app updates, plus installing all your programs back.

I really miss my Mac, but for what I do, the iPad will be a better fit.

----------

I know. It'll come here probably late October. I'll just wait. My B-Day is late October anyway.

I'll use the crap Acer desktop at work.

----------

I've got a Win 8.1 tablet. It's a fine piece of work, bit it ain't an iPad. I agree with your actions 100% but waiting for the iPad Air 2 seems a bit needless. The current Air is a masterpiece and the iPad Air 2 won't be that much of an upgrade. I'd pick up the current ordering if I were you.

I would much rather get the new one since it is only a couple of months away. I'll regret it if I get the Air now. I don't plan on updating the OS unless absolutely necessary, so it'll come with iOS 8. The A8 will probably be much better optimized for iOS. The touch ID will be a great thing to have. And I know it will be even thinner. It'll be worth waiting just another 8 weeks.

I think the Air 2 will be a significant update.

Based on what I do, a laptop is overkill and an unnecessary hassle. The only laptop I would even consider getting is another Macbook. That's it. But I think an iPad will suit me perfectly.

With Photoshop Touch and iDraw I can pretty much do any design I usually do. iWork and iMovie, a good file manager, and a couple of other apps and it can be a perfect laptop replacement for me, and a lot more fun anyway.

----------

Air1 as a masterpiece? Of crashing, low memory problems..? Sold mine because it was something else than a masterpiece. I definitely would wait to see specs for Air2. Air1 with 1gb ram was a mistake and totally waste of money. If you do just a light browsing it is fine, but as soon as keeping several tabs open or using some apps need more memory you have a problem. Apps refreshing, reloading etc..

To be honest I think a lot of that is iOS. I didn't particularly like iOS 7. I think that iOS 8 will be MUCH improved under the hood, not only will it run better on iPad Air 1, but I think the hardware on the Air 2 will be matched better with the new iOS. IOS 7 was a huge update to iOS and I think they're still working out the kinks.

The TAB S has 3 GB, but when you turn it on, touchwiz takes up 1.5GB of memory. It's insane.

I'm interested to see the changes this year. It seems apple is moving with changes much faster now since Jobs' passing.

So let's see. They may have surprises in store.

Last edited:

ron7624

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2011
Houston, Texas area

I heavily use 2 iPads every day. The constant whining about their lack of ability to preform from many MR members amazes me.
I can't make my iPads misbehave. They give me hours and hours of enjoyment with minimal problems if any. The constant bashing is simply hard to believe.
Maybe folks should learn how to use one...

chupachup

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 1, 2013
I heavily use 2 iPads every day. The constant whining about their lack of ability to preform from many MR members amazes me.
I can't make my iPads misbehave. They give me hours and hours of enjoyment with minimal problems if any. The constant bashing is simply hard to believe.

I just bought my wife an iPad Mini 1 (the first non retina one). Came with iOS 7. She never has any problems. It is basically her laptop. She makes all her documents for work on it and saves them in google drive. Cost $310 bucks at the apple store here (iStudio)

I think people complaints are probably more related to iOS. I think the iPads and iOS are about to go through a major overhaul. Maybe not visually but, we will feel the improvement when we use it.

----------

I bought this bag already. Quite nice.

7f13da92-2b7a-4d6e-9ae0-e21dc48cd7ec.jpg

mrex

macrumors 68040
Jul 16, 2014
europe

Maybe Apple should fix iOS or add more memory if they cant do that?
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5532206?start=0&tstart=0

I bet there is more memory in Air2.

chupachup

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 1, 2013
Maybe Apple should fix iOS or add more memory if they cant do that?
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5532206?start=0&tstart=0

I bet there is more memory in Air2.

Maybe it'll have a memory bump, but most importantly is that it will have LPDDR4. That's twice the speed of DDR3. We will see all the little stutters and occasional iOS7 lag go away, probably any crashes people are complaining about too.

IOS takes a few hundred megabytes at startup. Samsung's toucwiz takes 1.5GB at startup. So Apple isn't concerned with packing it with more ram, maybe a little more, but faster and more efficient.

DDR4 (LP) will consume a lot less power too.

GalFriday

macrumors member
May 18, 2014
Northeast US

I agree. Well said. I've never had any crashes, any of that low memory nonsense, or tab reloading, and I use my iPad heavily for everything from Office 365 (documents and spreedsheets) to photo editing and building and administrating Wordpress websites. It just simply works. :)

nixiemaiden

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2010
I agree. Well said. I've never had any crashes, any of that low memory nonsense, or tab reloading, and I use my iPad heavily for everything from Office 365 (documents and spreedsheets) to photo editing and building and administrating Wordpress websites. It just simply works. :)

The tab refreshes are pretty annoying. Just as an example, I prefer the browser version of Facebook to the app version of Facebook on the iPad. Pretty much every time I click on something, I open it in a new tab so Facebook will stay where it is and I can pick back up where I left off. The only problem is that 90% of the time as soon as I go to the other tab and back to Facebook, the tab refreshes and starts me back at the top. If I expand something that has more than like 100 comments in it...the entire browser crashes on me.

mrex

macrumors 68040
Jul 16, 2014
europe
IOS takes a few hundred megabytes at startup. Samsung's toucwiz takes 1.5GB at startup. So Apple isn't concerned with packing it with more ram, maybe a little more, but faster and more efficient.

Galaxy Note 10.1, android 4.1.2 baked with Touchwiz and running several widgets, apps and the smartwatch application on the background. Still I dont see 1,5gb usage...

8e7yhyse.jpg

It is not nonsense for people facing the problem.

Last edited:

GalFriday

macrumors member
May 18, 2014
Northeast US
The tab refreshes are pretty annoying. Just as an example, I prefer the browser version of Facebook to the app version of Facebook on the iPad. Pretty much every time I click on something, I open it in a new tab so Facebook will stay where it is and I can pick back up where I left off. The only problem is that 90% of the time as soon as I go to the other tab and back to Facebook, the tab refreshes and starts me back at the top. If I expand something that has more than like 100 comments in it...the entire browser crashes on me.

That's more a Facebook thing than an iOS thing. FB is a memory hog and is always refreshing feeds.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.