Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

groovyd

Suspended
Jun 24, 2013
Atlanta
install was smooth as silk and problem free. all old apps came right up no problems, nothing misconfigured or with settings changes, everything just like it were but much much faster now. i mean night and day faster especially using flash through safari i am playing tetris at double the speed ;)

paulrustad101

macrumors member
Jul 24, 2014
What this article doesn't address is the systemic download failure rate part of the process. Many users experienced issues with getting their codes. The beta page went down because of problems and that is understandable. However, Apple rolled Mavericks out through the Mac App Store as well as countless updates to the OS and all the 3rd party apps they sell. Mavericks didn't have the download bugs that this "limited" beta has and continues to have.

Apple has no issue selling movies from the iTunes Store, some of which are 7-12GB in size. And yet many many users reported that when they try to download this 5GB Yosemite build that it simply fails time after time, getting anywhere from .5 to 4.5GB complete, often restarting itself at 0MB and then beginning the process again, only to ultimately fail.

"An error has occurred"

"Try your purchase tab again"

This happens over and over for some users but not for others. You can't begin where you left off, and internet speed is not a factor. Doesn't matter if you reboot, empty trash, clear caches. There is no apparent fix. And of course no actual help from Apple.

Sorry Apple, we realize this is a public beta, but this part of the process should be fairly simply and straightforward.

FAIL is the message we get over and over. Fail is what it is then.

I had zero problems downloading the item, and zero problems installing it. Overall, it took less than 30 minutes for the whole process including the download. Perhaps your provider was throttling your speed, who knows?

groovyd

Suspended
Jun 24, 2013
Atlanta
Safari feels snappier.

i think this is actually true for once. mine is easily twice as fast and with much smoother scrolling. could be that it takes advantage of the latest macbook pro hardware acceleration better then mavericks did. graphics drivers must have been improved significantly or perhaps they are using 'metal' / swift under the hood.

----------

It's the green button of the "traffic light" buttons in the top left. Thats now fullscreen system-wide.

my stoplight is all grey buttons now, no red green yellow, just grey grey grey. i am using dark mode though and love it. i also set the button colors to use graphite which is nice.

I will admit the font used could be a bit clearer on my ol 27 cinema display. Font seems to have taken a step backward but I am guessing this is their way of getting me ready to buy some 4K display soon.

Also wish Safari used narrow tabs or Glims was available for Yosemite to fix that for me. Don't like these wide tabs.

teejaysyke

macrumors regular
Aug 5, 2012
Installed it on my Late 2008 Aluminum Macbook 2.0Ghz 4GB of ram.

It ran pretty snappy, everything was smooth, it looks beautiful, a few things lagged like spotlight/app expose/mission control. Other than that, I didn't really have any issues. Now I'm back on 10.7.5 because of my custom dock that I'm having a hard time letting go which is why I haven't upgraded.

Asclepio

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2011
federighi instead to take acting classes should work to make a true new OS instead to bloating around and slowing a perfect OS that he received when he joined apple, yes snow leopard. this time he have the new ive's eyes killer UI in his favor but still the old same ****.
I'm sure he would have been fired long time ago if steve jobs was still alive.

groovyd

Suspended
Jun 24, 2013
Atlanta
cursor issues i used to have using some DirectX games on my Win8.1 Parallels VM have returned. same thing happened when mavericks came out and then a couple updates of parallels and osx later it was fixed but looks like they are back. cursor jumps around while playing games and doesn't track smoothly in the window of the game on the vm. this is a big shame as my work is writing said game for window and i do most of my work on this vm.

game frame rate is unchanged though.

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
I had zero problems downloading the item, and zero problems installing it. Overall, it took less than 30 minutes for the whole process including the download. Perhaps your provider was throttling your speed, who knows?

Yes, select people are having that experience and many others are not.

However multiple speed tests show my DL speed between 52 and 56Mbps. I can download a 5GB iTunes HD movie in about 15-25 minutes.

This craps out anywhere between .5 and 1.75GB into it, repeatedly and has done so for quite a few others.

asteng88

macrumors newbie
Aug 23, 2010
New York
Will my computer run more efficiently and faster?
Never mind that....check out the "new look".

Sigh...sometimes I miss 10.6.8.

With Snow Leopard, Apple said out of the gate that SL was all about working off bugs and making the OS run better. With SL there were no new features, no new "look", and (thankfully) no social media emphasis. Everything was about speed and efficiency. SL was by far, my favorite version of OS X to date.

It was good....but that was yesterday.

----------

I'm really liking the clean look of Yosemite. No problems so far during basic browsing, email and iTunes.

I agree. I am a paid developer, been using it for a while and I find it very snappy. Remember beta software is also very bloated.

Four oF NINE

macrumors 68000
Sep 28, 2011
Hell's Kitchen
iTunes 12.0

I'm unable to launch the column browser with iTunes, is anyone else having this issue?

I sent a report with feedback assistant to Apple

sshhoott

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2010
Mission Control: Mayday

Mission control is extremely jerky on 2010 13" Macbook Pro even with just a couple of windows open! Makes the system feel very sluggish and unbearable to use.

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
I'm unable to launch the column browser with iTunes, is anyone else having this issue?

I sent a report with feedback assistant to Apple

I don't like how they moved the song progress/time bar to the VERY bottom of that section; I find it harder to click and drag at a glance when working.

Mission control is extremely jerky on 2010 13" Macbook Pro even with just a couple of windows open! Makes the system feel very sluggish and unbearable to use.

At least it opens. It's hit or miss on my 2013 rMBP. I had to use the app icon four times before it would open.

Saturn1217

macrumors 65816
Apr 28, 2008
Is it stable enough to download and use on my everyday macbook?

thanks!

Not really. I wouldn't if I were you. At the very least make some good backups.

I had some wifi connection and speed issues in particular that would have prevented me from using it as my daily driver. (and before everyone else says how their wifi works fine. It was very dependent upon wifi network but 100% of these networks worked on mavericks).

rols

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2008
Yes, select people are having that experience and many others are not.

However multiple speed tests show my DL speed between 52 and 56Mbps. I can download a 5GB iTunes HD movie in about 15-25 minutes.

This craps out anywhere between .5 and 1.75GB into it, repeatedly and has done so for quite a few others.

I had a long-running problem with my ISP who uses caching proxies. They had one or perhaps more which were misconfigured. Once in a while, especially for Apple stuff, I'd get an incomplete download, and I'd get the same incomplete download for a few days .. then it would work.

After about 4 months of back and forth they found the misconfiguration which caused their proxy server, if it cached an incomplete binary the first time, not to replace it until it expired.

I used to work around this temporarily by using a VPN and bypassing the proxy.

Not necessarily the issue you're having, but this can happen and not be Apple's fault.

j.moreno271

macrumors newbie
Nov 28, 2013
Any fix yet for the "error" message?

Any fix yet for the "error" message? I've been trying to do this since 6PM!!! :( I'm jealous of the people who say they do it flawlessly! Has anyone found a way to fix this issue yet, besides waiting it out?

jmoore5196

macrumors 6502a
May 19, 2009
Russellville AR
Is anyone else having admin password problems? I have to restart every time I log out; if I just try to log in, the admin password is continually rejected.

Restarting solves the problem, then it crops up again at the next log out.

My initial impressions are very positive; Safari does indeed seem much improved.

smartalic34

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2006
USA
[url=http://cdn.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png]Image[/url]

Today marked the first day of Apple's public beta testing program for OS X Yosemite, letting thousands of non-developers download the software for the first time. With so many new users, new issues and bugs in the beta are coming to light and being catalogued in our Yosemite forum.

We've pulled out some user reactions from the forums to share, along with some tips on troubleshooting possible issues. For users having problems with the beta, the Yosemite forums can be an invaluable resource, and for users still debating whether or not to install the beta software, make sure to check out this post and our forums before taking the plunge as Yosemite is still somewhat unstable.

Handoff and Continuity
For users who have the iOS 8 beta installed on their iOS devices, MacRumors forum member Armen has put together a detailed walkthrough on how to set up Continuity and Handoff, new integration features introduced with the two new operating systems. Continuity appears to be largely functional for users with compatible machines, which have a Bluetooth LMP version of 0x6. Handoff does not appear to be working with 2011 MacBooks, but those machines do appear able to access SMS texts and phone calls.

False. SMS texts and phone calls aren't working...

jontech

macrumors 6502
Feb 26, 2010
Hawaii
For anyone have trouble with Java, Flash or Adobe Air issues

(My CCNA labs wouldn't work) due to Java issues

Here are some links

Adobe Labs Betas

Java download (confirmed working) Java from Apple

Also anyone running VMWare Fusion needs to run version 6.04 in order to work

Hope this helps someone

Imhotep397

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2002
It still annoys me that they haven't brought back the unobtrusive notifications center that just nudges the main screen to the left. It's not like they have to make it skuemorphic, they don't have to add the grey linen.

techpr

macrumors 6502a
Sep 9, 2008
San Juan, PR

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-07-24 at 11.01.10 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-07-24 at 11.01.10 PM.png
    381.8 KB · Views: 154
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.