Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jlabute

macrumors regular
Jan 26, 2014

Another way to think about it is if Apple leaves OIS out of the 4.7" iPhone 6, than Apple makes 375 million USD extra profits.

Yeah... But 375 million is still peanuts compared to almost 60 billion dollars in iphone6 accessories and phones... If they are around $800 on average per user. They will lose billions if people are disgusted with the lack of features.

jhtrico1850

macrumors regular
Apr 5, 2007
Yes. Tons of people will buy the 5.5" model. If you think otherwise, you're crazy. Will it out sale the 4.7"? Probably not, but there are still millions that will buy it. "crappy pictures?" Current iPhones already take pretty decent pictures and I highly doubt the iPhone 6 will take pictures that have less quality than current phones. :rolleyes:

It might take decent pictures relative to most phones, but in absolute terms, last winter when we went to an event, our $200 camera hands down beat out the iPhone 5s in low light, quick motion. The camera has a lot to improve upon.

Shame, 5.5 inches is a dealbreaker for a lot of people, and it looks like most of the upgraders will have to settle for marginal camera improvements.

On the other hand, if they are doing this solely for supply chain reasons, it makes sense, but it's still a bummer.

Toltepeceno

Suspended
Jul 17, 2012
SMT, Edo MX, MX
This is idiotic. You do not want a 13 MP picture from a phone camera! Higher megapixel does not mean higher quality! Stop buying that myth and maybe the manufacturers will work on better image quality which is what you really want. To get higher megapixels, they're simply dividing the sensor into smaller pieces and that just kills the quality of resulting image. The noise would make for a lousy photo. For the same phone size sensor, give me a 5 MP image any day and I guarantee it'll be superior in quality & detail.

----------

Higher pixel count means smaller cropping ability. I rarely take portraits with my phone, they are, spur of the moment shots and sometime at a distance outdoors. There is a limit to how high a pixel count one would want, but I see nothing wrong with 13. I used to shoot a lot of quinceanera's and other functions and having a dslr with high pixel count gained me some long distance shots in big salon's. To me using phone is less staged, no zoom and more likely to produce shots that need cropping. Most people don't carry around a dslr constantly if they have one. If you only shoot portraits with the phone, it or in the house shots then obviously it's not needed.

I also do not see where the person you replied to said anything about a higher pixel count meaning higher quality, putting words in someone's mouth is idiotic.

Last edited:

cocky jeremy

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
It might take decent pictures relative to most phones, but in absolute terms, last winter when we went to an event, our $200 camera hands down beat out the iPhone 5s in low light, quick motion. The camera has a lot to improve upon.

Shame, 5.5 inches is a dealbreaker for a lot of people, and it looks like most of the upgraders will have to settle for marginal camera improvements.

On the other hand, if they are doing this solely for supply chain reasons, it makes sense, but it's still a bummer.

I would hope. It's a $200 device dedicated solely to images. Image quality is obviously the single top priority there. A camera on a phone is only one of many, many priorities.

firewood

macrumors G3
Jul 29, 2003
Silicon Valley
It might take decent pictures relative to most phones, but in absolute terms, last winter when we went to an event, our $200 camera hands down beat out the iPhone 5s in low light, quick motion.

Your $200 camera had a lens that's too big to fit on a mobile phone. Bigger lenses can capture more photons in less time. No getting around the laws of physics. A single pinhole on any thin mobile device will never capture as many photons as a bigger camera.

PastcellsalesFl

macrumors newbie
Jul 24, 2014
$4-$5 cost premium. So expensive.
*sips Starbucks*

For someone as pretentious as you and your Starbucks, you should think to yourself how much that $4-5 would cost the company! Opening weekend for the 5s and 5c Apple sold a total of 9 million units! That would be a $36-40 million dollar loss in one weekend!
Do you think if Starbucks sold their coffee for $1.25 like the local gas station there would be so many morons stealing wifi access to post crap like this in their rundown coffee shops???

farewelwilliams

Suspended
Jun 18, 2014
For someone as pretentious as you and your Starbucks, you should think to yourself how much that $4-5 would cost the company! Opening weekend for the 5s and 5c Apple sold a total of 9 million units! That would be a $36-40 million dollar loss in one weekend!
Do you think if Starbucks sold their coffee for $1.25 like the local gas station there would be so many morons stealing wifi access to post crap like this in their rundown coffee shops???

pass the cost of $4 to the consumers. sure, $203 seems like a weird price number, but I think people wouldn't mind. hell, make it $209.

forrie

macrumors regular
Mar 6, 2008
Better low-light

I wish Apple would improve the mobile cameras - especially for low-light situations. They positively SUCK at concert photos, which you would think would be a point of interest for Apple. Every concert I go to, I see tons of people with iPhones -- all of us taking crappy photos because of it.

Fenez

macrumors regular
Aug 13, 2014
First off, Apple doesn't care if some people are going to be pissed off like some are claiming. Apple makes cell phones they are a company and a company will do whatever it can to make money regardless. They don't owe you the same specs in both devices. Why would they not make the larger device have better specs? For the people who claim "I want the best iPhone" then buy the best iPhone. I really think it comes down to what fits your needs. Its not like the 4.7" will be utter crap..what I'm noticing is that all people what better specs and I only thought that was an android thing which now seems clear that its not.

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
First off, Apple doesn't care if some people are going to be pissed off like some are claiming. Apple makes cell phones they are a company and a company will do whatever it can to make money regardless. They don't owe you the same specs in both devices. Why would they not make the larger device have better specs? For the people who claim "I want the best iPhone" then buy the best iPhone. I really think it comes down to what fits your needs. Its not like the 4.7" will be utter crap..what I'm noticing is that all people what better specs and I only thought that was an android thing which now seems clear that its not.

No! I demand a Corvette engine in a Chevette body, and GM must give it to me!

zipa

macrumors 65816
Feb 19, 2010
Well I want the 4.7" model to have really poor specs in comparison to the 5.5" so that I can feel super-smug and be all condescending when confronted with owners of lesser iPhones.

Fenez

macrumors regular
Aug 13, 2014
I'm starting to believe its actually just that no one wants to be looked at like they don't have the best iPhone.. Why would it matter otherwise? The phone will be better than last years model who cares if the one you don't want is slightly better?

Last edited:

DCIFRTHS

macrumors 65816
Jan 25, 2008
I'm starting to believe its actually just that no one wants to be looked at like they don't have the best iPhone.. Why would it matter otherwise?

For me personally, I like performance, and hate lag. Any lag. Having the fastest hardware is important to me, and it also helps future proof the device as new OS's are introduced.

In addition, there's the intangible feeling of knowing that I have the best...

The phone will be better than last years model who cares if the one you don't want is slightly better?

In some cases, it may be the same reason as people who buy Ferrari's, Corvette's and similar performance cars in a country that has a maximum speed limit of 65 mph...

Some people want the best, and that includes what the product is capable of, not just what it looks like. It doesn't mean they are going to use all of that power, but knowing it's there is enough.

Live and let live.

----------

So anything bigger than 5.5" isn't portable? Okkkkaaaaay. ;)

If we're talking about phones, then you are correct. 5.5" isn't portable to me.

kilcher

macrumors 65816
Jul 3, 2011
For me personally, I like performance, and hate lag. Any lag. Having the fastest hardware is important to me, and it also helps future proof the device as new OS's are introduced.

In addition, there's the intangible feeling of knowing that I have the best...

In some cases, it may be the same reason as people who buy Ferrari's, Corvette's and similar performance cars in a country that has a maximum speed limit of 65 mph...

Some people want the best, and that includes what the product is capable of, not just what it looks like. It doesn't mean they are going to use all of that power, but knowing it's there is enough.

Live and let live.

----------

If we're talking about phones, then you are correct. 5.5" isn't portable to me.

Using your own analogy that would be like someone complaining their Malibu doesn't have the same features and/or performance as a Corvette.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.