Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MountainHawk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 24, 2014
Portland, Oregon
Hello,

I have chosen to post this question here because over the years I've found a lot of great tips that have helped me solve numerous problems on my own and other Macs that I have repaired. A tip of the hat to you all.

I am on the path to installing Leopard on my G4 733 Quicksilver. Step one, based on all the searches and reading I have done to this point indicate to max out the ram to 1.5 GB. I bought the machine with 512 MB. Other than replacing the HDD's and adding an Airport card (cost me a buck at Free Geek in Portland) not too long ago, the machine is as shipped. I purchased 3 512 MB DIMMs but when I put in all three, the video output fails. All 3 DIMMs are good, as you can use any two of the three along with one of the old 256 MB DIMMs (which must be in the first slot) and get 1.25 GB. Even if I use just one of the new 512's in the first slot, it will prevent the video card from working. The OEM video card is a 065-2581 NVIDIA GeForce2 MX - 32MB SDRAM. The first slot (Slot 0?) I am referencing is the one closest to the CPU.

Thanks for your input in advance.

Last edited:

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
With all three sticks of 512MB in it and the video card, can you Screen Share/VNC into it and see the desktop? What shows up in System Profiler in the Graphics/Displays section when it's like this?

MountainHawk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 24, 2014
Portland, Oregon
Screen share

I set up screen share from my MBPro running Snow Leopard 10.6.8 to my G4 Quicksilver running Tiger 10.4.11 with 2@512MB and 1@256MB and got screenshare working. When shutting the Quicksilver down and putting in 3@512MB, booting up (chimes good, but blank screen as previously observed) you can't even log on to the Quicksilver from the MBP using any of 3 methods, either using the screen share.app and typing in the IP address or using Go To Server and typing in the IP address or just from the finder window. They all fail to connect.

The chimes have been good through all my attempts to get the full 1.5 MB to work, switching DIMMs, etc. which I did before my first post. I turned on autologin, so it isn't waiting for a password.

It doesn't appear, based on listening to the HDD in the Quicksilver, to be fully booting up. I can't be sure since the power supply is so loud, but it just doesn't sound like it's getting all the way to the Finder. Just a feeling. I may be wrong, but since it is supposed to be able to address 1.5 MB and the POST seems to indicate it's happy, I'm unclear on why it is hanging (if that is what it is doing). I ordered the DIMMs from MemoryAmerica and indicated what machine it was going in to. I'll have to give them a call next time I get a chance to work on this. Thanks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.