Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Jul 24, 2014, 11:06 PM   #101
SuperCachetes
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by roland.g View Post
Yes, select people are having that experience and many others are not.
I am sorry for those having difficulty, but actually, it is working just fine for many people. There's nothing "select" about it.

Me, I didn't mess with downloading until after I got the Apple email this afternoon, which had a direct link.

I put 10.10 on a separate partition and it's doing well. Nearly everything I've run into has been due to third parties not being updated (SMC Fan Control, Adobe Flash, TRIM Enabler, various Safari extensions...)

In a word, it is gorgeous. I agree that Mavericks looks like a dated and vintage OS in comparison.
SuperCachetes is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2014, 11:11 PM   #102
fullauto
macrumors 6502a

Finding time between clients to backup and install, 15 minutes to go.. Excitement
fullauto is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2014, 11:17 PM   #103
furi0usbee
macrumors 6502a

I used the dev preview from day one and I really fell in love with the look. I installed it on a separate partition, and was finding myself in there more and more, even know most of apps didn't work correctly in Yosemite. However, I stopped using it so I can be astonished again when it's released. I really shouldn't have played with it at all, as I really wanted to be surprised, but I'll bet it will run much more smoothly than it did for me first time around, although the last update I had for it it smoothed out some wrinkles.

I've been using Mac since 10.3.7 or .8.. forget which one and rarely have I been dissatisfied with a new OS release.
Old Jul 24, 2014, 11:17 PM   #104
Traisoon
macrumors member

Hey guys, did anyone be able to use adobe app like photoshop cs6 and lightroom 5?

Edited: Just found the answer. Yes, both working. Hehe.

Last edited by Traisoon; Jul 24, 2014 at 11:22 PM.
Traisoon is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2014, 11:19 PM   #105
AppleDavid
macrumors newbie

I'm putting on a special hard disk and can be set arbitrarily boot drive and I can say that yosemite works incredibly fast!, and the stability is amazing there and there a mistake but no problems
AppleDavid is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2014, 11:21 PM   #106
Michaelgtrusa
macrumors 601

Someone from Brazil told me 29 hours to download 10.10!
Old Jul 24, 2014, 11:24 PM   #107
brdeveloper
macrumors 68000

Maybe I'll upgrade to Yosemite... when another California location OSX comes to the market. Early adopter = poor support for what matters (e.g., GPU drivers, unix tools and developer packages, etc).
brdeveloper is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2014, 11:31 PM   #108
chr1s60
macrumors 65816

I still can't get past halfway through the download without an error. I'm done trying.
Old Jul 24, 2014, 11:34 PM   #109
iOSaddict
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by chewbaka View Post
Using a pink flower wallpaper defeats the purpose of dark mode. If you use a dark wallpaper, it looks great!
How do u get iTunes 12??

On a different note: Safari is so fast :O
iOSaddict is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2014, 11:39 PM   #110
Michaelgtrusa
macrumors 601

How To Install And Dual-Boot OS X Yosemite With Mavericks On New Partition http://www.redmondpie.com/install-an...new-partition/
Old Jul 24, 2014, 11:41 PM   #111
Candlelight
macrumors 6502

I got the beta downloaded and installed in 20 minutes over the top of DP4.

Then I wiped the partition and reinstalled again as a fresh install.

Now wondering if - because I'm using the beta - I'll miss out on DP5 etc if they come out. Maybe I'll change again if that happens.

As for Yosemite itself, I don't really like it. Much prefer to more professional look of Mavericks/Mountain Lion. The apps look tacky like an Android phone. They work on iOS but not on OS X for some reason.
Old Jul 24, 2014, 11:45 PM   #112
ourmountain
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamLondon View Post
"Yosemite looks terrible"

Imagine that, on Complaint Central otherwise known as MacRumors, there are people being negative about Apple products. Never saw that coming.
You're my hero.
ourmountain is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2014, 11:57 PM   #113
SuperCachetes
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by iOSaddict View Post
How do u get iTunes 12??
It will show up as an available update in the App Store when running 10.10.
SuperCachetes is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2014, 11:58 PM   #114
cuestakid
macrumors 68000

anyone have success installing as a VM?
Old Jul 25, 2014, 12:08 AM   #115
Mactendo
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderSkunk View Post
How Apple went from getting more and more elegant and refined with their UI design, to more bland, cluttered, illegible... first iOS, now OSX?

wtf is going on over there, and is there any way of stopping it?
Scott Forstall, the creator of OS X Aqua interface and the father of iOS was fired and now Mr. Ive, the hardware designer is in charge of software design as well. That's the reason behind these changes.
Mactendo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2014, 12:15 AM   #116
nicklad
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by OllyNorton View Post
Been trying it out this evening, first impressions are pretty good. I really like the new design. That said Microsoft office 2011 is really quite unstable at the moment especially Powerpoint which loads and crashes instantly pretty much every time.

It's a Beta so these things are to be expected but it does prevent me from using it more fully in it's present state and hence not really contributing to the beta testing. Will continue to use on the laptop and see if I get any other errors, but it's a long way from prime time.
Is this with the latest update to Office installed, 14.4.3?
nicklad is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2014, 12:18 AM   #117
12dylan34
macrumors 6502a

Still waiting to download, after repeated download errors on both of my Macs...

Guess I'll try tomorrow.
12dylan34 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2014, 12:19 AM   #118
thirdgen88
macrumors newbie

OS X Yosemite Beta under VMware Fusion

As was mentioned previously, it is possible to install it under VMware Fusion. I upgraded a Mavericks VM that I had sitting around in my library. I did a quick write up on it with some screenshots and more here:

http://purelinux.net/files/440a72ed0...6a348ebb-7.php

Unfortunately, you aren't able to preview the translucency and other effects, though everything else seems to work.
thirdgen88 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2014, 12:23 AM   #119
jjlannoo
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asclepio View Post
federighi instead to take acting classes should work to make a true new OS instead to bloating around and slowing a perfect OS that he received when he joined apple, yes snow leopard. this time he have the new ive's eyes killer UI in his favor but still the old same ****.
I'm sure he would have been fired long time ago if steve jobs was still alive.
Federighi rocks and if Apple is smart will continue to be the go to man for events. As far as Yosemite. I have been using it all day and it looks and has been working great.
Old Jul 25, 2014, 12:30 AM   #120
BvizioN
macrumors 68000

Send a message via Skype™ to BvizioN
Quote:
Originally Posted by roland.g View Post
Apple has no issue selling movies from the iTunes Store, some of which are 7-12GB in size. And yet many many users reported that when they try to download this 5GB Yosemite build that it simply fails time after time, getting anywhere from .5 to 4.5GB complete, often restarting itself at 0MB and then beginning the process again, only to ultimately fail.
Are you serious? You compare the amount of people who would buy a movie on iTunes at any given time with the amount of people who jump to get the public beta or the final public release on it's very firs minute of being available?
Old Jul 25, 2014, 12:33 AM   #121
nofear1az
macrumors member

looks great

I just want to say Thank You Apple, for getting rid of the staleness in Mac OS-X and in iOS7. I love the new flatter look with the translucency. I will be looking forward to iOS8. It's finally nice to see Apple showing great taste with this new look. I do not understand what there is to hate about it. I could not stand the look of iOS6 anymore and Mavericks although was just fine to me but this Yosemite looks leaps and bounds better.
nofear1az is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2014, 12:35 AM   #122
MacGeek1987
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by groovyd View Post

my stoplight is all grey buttons now, no red green yellow, just grey grey grey. i am using dark mode though and love it. i also set the button colors to use graphite which is nice.
The buttons are grey because you are using Graphite. I used Graphite under Mavericks, but when I moved over to Yosemite about 6 weeks ago I stopped. Dark mode is awesome, couldn't do without it. I'm looking forward to apps updating for Dark mode, some are difficult if not impossible to use with it when you can't see the icon in the menu bar.
Old Jul 25, 2014, 12:38 AM   #123
sualpine
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by OllyNorton View Post
Been trying it out this evening, first impressions are pretty good. I really like the new design. That said Microsoft office 2011 is really quite unstable at the moment especially Powerpoint which loads and crashes instantly pretty much every time.

It's a Beta so these things are to be expected but it does prevent me from using it more fully in it's present state and hence not really contributing to the beta testing. Will continue to use on the laptop and see if I get any other errors, but it's a long way from prime time.
You have it backwards. Office 2011 not working on Yosemite is not Yosemite "not being prime time." It means Microsoft needs to get to work on their official release fixing incompatibility.

You do realize Microsoft is testing and finding these bugs at the same exact moment?

On that note, this will probably happen with their 2014 release. Get ready for a paid upgrade.
sualpine is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2014, 12:40 AM   #124
brinary001
macrumors regular

Just installed it on my early 2013 rMBP 13". It looks amazing! It's so nice, that it's actually making me second-guess my wanting to trade it in for a PC. Hmmmm... decisions decisions.
Old Jul 25, 2014, 12:43 AM   #125
sualpine
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by brinary001 View Post
Just installed it on my early 2013 rMBP 13". It looks amazing! It's so nice, that it's actually making me second-guess my wanting to trade it in for a PC. Hmmmm... decisions decisions.
You would choose this (Windows 9)

Over this?

sualpine is offline   6 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion