Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mizxco

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 17, 2014
I just did a test. I tried downloading Mavericks from the App Store and the download went along just fine. So I don't think its a problem on my end, it has something to do with the Yosemite servers.

Are you still unable to download Yosemite? This is a freaking joke

Yeti89

macrumors member
Dec 27, 2011
Are there that many people in the morning trying to download this that the server is still overloaded and I can't get it?

I don't think this is a server overload problem. I wonder if it is region specific.

I'm in Utah. Where is everyone else that is also having download errors?

mittencuh

macrumors regular
Nov 4, 2012
Colorado Springs
Are there that many people in the morning trying to download this that the server is still overloaded and I can't get it?

I don't think this is a server overload problem. I wonder if it is region specific.

I'm in Utah. Where is everyone else that is also having download errors?

I still can't.

Sacramento

I can't here in Colorado. Annoying but not the end of the world I guess.

kcwjr

macrumors member
Apr 8, 2010
Santa Fe, NM
Not sure how many times I have tried. Still no joy. I even tried in Safe Mode thinking there must be a conflict. Same result. Agree with frustrating

mizxco

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 17, 2014
Okay, mine finally succeeded. Had to vpn to somewhere + a long wait.
Guess the download is not working well with cdns.

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
I found a work around to the problem. But it took some work.

I downloaded as much as safely DL'd before it crapped out, 1.05 GB, but different people get to different spots. Then I made 2 "Cache 1 & 2" folders on my desktop. Then I copied the Installer from the application folder to Cache 1. I then had to go into hidden folders to find the app store download and copy the folder with the 1.05 GB file and the app store's manifest.plist file to the cache folder. This gives you a backup of the point you stop.

Then resume the DL. It will almost immediately fail. Quit the App Store. Go to the Application folder and delete/cancel the Installer file which will ask you if you want to cancel download. Then copy, don't move, but copy the manifest.plist and the folder containing the download back to the app store folder, keeping your cache copy. Lastly copy the installer file back to your applications folder. It will give you an in use message and hit continue.

You can now launch MAS and click download from purchases. It will say waiting but then start where you left off. Sometimes it will fail or have a problem immediately and you have to repeat the last paragraph. Other times it will resume. When you get through another chunk, pause the DL and repeat, alternating between cache 1 and cache 2.

I did this approx .5 GB per session, eventually getting it to complete.

By copying the correct files and replacing them after the error, you cab launch MAS and DL and it will resume where you left off. By not having to start over, you can incrementally complete the download. How much you add per copy session is up to how well the DL goes before problems.

mizxco

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 17, 2014
I am in Hong Kong, and I am still not able to download it from MAS.:(

Which ISP you on? I'm in Hong Kong too.

----------

I think it has something to do with cache. Might not your computer's cache but somewhere in the route of the CDN. Apple might have halted the distribution at some point and the servers have the file up to that point..

MAS never had this kind of download error before, once you grabbed the code, you're golden

kcwjr

macrumors member
Apr 8, 2010
Santa Fe, NM
Tried it on another machine with the same apple id, same result. Failed to download. It appears not machine dependent. Apple is bad to tempt us like this.

Duff-Man

Contributor
Dec 26, 2002
Albuquerque, NM
Duff-Man says....I was getting the error on 2 different computers last night and earlier this morning. Both have now gotten the complete download (just when I was about to give up) so perhaps Apple fixed something as I didn't do anything at this end....oh yeah!

EldonChew

macrumors regular
Dec 3, 2011
Singapore
I downloaded as much as safely DL'd before it crapped out, 1.05 GB, but different people get to different spots. Then I made 2 "Cache 1 & 2" folders on my desktop. Then I copied the Installer from the application folder to Cache 1. I then had to go into hidden folders to find the app store download and copy the folder with the 1.05 GB file and the app store's manifest.plist file to the cache folder. This gives you a backup of the point you stop.

Hi!
Where do you get the Installer from?
And how to you find the App Store Download?

Thanks in advance!

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
Hi!
Where do you get the Installer from?
And how to you find the App Store Download?

Thanks in advance!

There is an OS X Yosemite Beta 1 file that will go to your applications folder while downloading. It is a 152kb placeholder but it is essential and you must make sure you are using the current version of it in this process. After the download completes it disappears and turns into Install OS X Yosemite Beta.

The actual download file, of which there is the large file and three accompanying files is in a hidden App Store folder. The folder you will need to copy for me was a folder with around 10 digits starting with an 8. Not sure if it user specific or build specific as to how it is numbered. In the folder that it is in is also the manifest.plist.

Both of these are in a hidden folder. You can find them and reveal them using an app like Whatsize. I am not at my machine or I would give you the path.

spaceballl

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2003
San Francisco, CA
This is maddening! Last night, I got all the way to 4GB before it failed. I thought today would be better, but it seems crap out closer to 200MB today - grrrrr. I'm sure it will work eventually, but I'm on my secondary machine today, and I was looking forward to putting in a work day on the new environment :).

vcuares

macrumors member
Oct 30, 2008
I've been trying since yesterday morning. no dice. I changed DNS from Google to ISP - did not work.

joefrank64k

macrumors 6502a
Feb 12, 2008
Success!

I'm in the Los Angeles area, and I just kept restarting the download while I was busy doing other things on the net.

It's installing as I type (on the iPad Air right now).

Good luck to everyone else! Hang in there! :)

Jacksonc

macrumors 6502
Dec 1, 2013
Jony's house
I tried downloading OS X Mavericks and Yosemite at the same time and it seems to be working. Let's see if it downloads all the way.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.