Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
My update/upgrade cycle is dictated by the duration of Applecare, which means that I will always contemplate upgrading by the time Applecare (which runs for three years) is due to expire.

In practice, this means thinking about upgrading from about two and a half years; this also means that whatever advances have been made over that period of two and a half years tend to be pretty noticeable.

I bought a MBA in Sept 2010, (a lovely machine, but it was beginning to show its age by early last year) and replaced it with a CTO (maxed out) 13" from 2013. The difference in speed, power, and battery duration are very striking. Meanwhile, I handed over my old MBA (it still works perfectly) to my brother who received a perfectly working computer, with still a few months of Applecare left to run on it, with gratitude.

slipper

macrumors 68000
Nov 19, 2003
Coming from the Windows PC world with its endless software/security updates, disk defragmentation and virus scans, which all waste time and slow performance, the Air just plain works.

That's the story with Mac vs Windows since the beginning of time. Hence the reason i switched my home computing to Mac in 1998.

MarvinHC

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2014
Belgium

PharmDoc

macrumors 6502
Oct 10, 2010
I use my computers for about 5 to 6 years. I just don't really do enough to justify a new one even though they are tempting. My Applecare is about to run out on my Air that I bought in 2011 so I went to the store this past weekend to get it checked out and nothing was wrong and my battery is still at 93%. That being said, my next laptop will be a MBP. The retina display is great and I want a 15" screen instead of a 13".

robdrj45

macrumors member
Jun 11, 2012
USA
That's the story with Mac vs Windows since the beginning of time. Hence the reason i switched my home computing to Mac in 1998.

I certainly have no plans for going back. My last Windows laptop was an older machine (a 2006 model, IIRC), and running a routine virus scan (which took a long time) or getting updates would slow the thing to an absolute crawl. Basically, I couldn't use it till it was through. And the restarts..a million required restarts. It became such a pita. I spent almost as much time maintaing the machine as using it. It wasn't too bad when I first got it, but got worse as time went on. The machine got older/more tired and the maintenance requirements increased.

When I first got the Air, I couldn't believe how user friendly it was. As I said before, it just plain works. Very little maintenance, just the occasional update. Two years later, the Air runs like the day I got it. And the SSD, light years ahead of the my old machine's HDD. The whole experience is just better.

jimboutilier

macrumors 6502a
Nov 10, 2008
Denver
I start considering an upgrade when any of the three items below are true
  • Warentee expiring
  • Machine no longer meets needs or productivity impacted
  • New model offers some benefit worth the upgrade

At the moment I'm looking primarily for more storage so weighing an SSD upgrade for maybe an extra years life against a new machine with additional benefits that I'll likely get 2-3 years out of.

I'm balancing the size/weight, display quality/size, performance, ports, and battery life. Will likely be one of:
  • 11" MBA maxed out - more storage, performance, battery life in same package
  • 13" rMBP - more storage, battery life and a lot more performance and display quality, few more ports in a package 25% larger and 50% heavier
  • 12" rMBA - more storage, performance, display, battery life, in slightly larger package

jimboutilier

macrumors 6502a
Nov 10, 2008
Denver
How do you know all these things about a product that doesn't even exist yet? ;)

I absolutely don't know. These are at best educated guesses. And no one will really know until at least the product announcement. But given Apples track record they usually don't make a "worse" product and current offerings all exceed my older machine so its a reasonable assumption that the new one should as well.

If it does, (and is offered soon enough) that is my likely purchase. But if it isn't all those things I won't buy it and will buy something else from the existing lineup that meets my needs.

Given intel's ongoing processor delays, I'll likely end up with a 2014 11" MBA but who knows.

macines

macrumors member
Jan 15, 2013
personally i'd wait for broadwell to arrive alongside retina displays

if you own an air (2010 or up), i dont see any reason to upgrade just now

Ronnoco

macrumors 68030
Oct 16, 2007
United States of America
personally i'd wait for broadwell to arrive alongside retina displays

if you own an air (2010 or up), i dont see any reason to upgrade just now

IMO, this is pretty sound advice. Although I find the upgrade from my 2010 ultimate 11" to my 2013 13" ultimate to be quite noticeable, if you are waiting for an rAir, probably best to wait for the next processor upgrade.

rambo47

macrumors 65816
Oct 3, 2010
Denville, NJ
I'm still loving my late-2010 MBA 13". I'll upgrade when I need capabilities my current model just doesn't have, which probably won't be anytime soon. :apple:

na1577

macrumors 6502a
Jan 20, 2008
I have a 2012 Air right now. It's great. I've had it for a little over two years and I don't expect to upgrade any time soon because it does exactly what I need it to. Once the battery can't hold a charge, I'll probably upgrade. Rather than pay $129 to fix an old computer, I'd rather put it toward a new one. The current Airs get much better battery life anyway.

I expect I can get at least another two years out of this laptop before it's time to move on. By the time this battery dies, I'm sure there will be a ton of other cool new reasons to upgrade as well (like a Retina Display!)

azure247

macrumors 6502
Sep 9, 2008
I dont upgrade until there is a new form-factor I am after. Think about it this way. Sure, hardware improves every year, but is the software increasing the hardware load? Nope. There really is only a need to upgrade a new laptop when the software demands it.

Unless you are after the form factor change, which does not happen until like 5 years?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.