Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kristenanne77

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 16, 2009
I have two older macbooks (back when there were macbooks AND macbook pros, now there are just macbook pros). I have OS snow leopard on both of them although the processors are a little different from being a year apart. I believe one is 32 bit and the other is a "duo" which can handle 64 bit.
Due to the 2 gig ram restriction, I am staying with the current operating systems.

I currently have have windoz xp bootcamped on both of them along with the many programs I have installed over the years , all of which work fine. As I see more and more software opening up for Linux (or is it called called Ubantu?), i would like to try it out without disrupting my current setup.
Is there any way I can add a partition for Linux boot without having to lose or reinstall windoz xp, which would be a major pain.

Alternately, with thumb drives becoming super huge these days, would there be a way to do a linux boot and run off of a thumb drive?

Thanks
K

Cancelled
Apr 19, 2014
I don't know anything about Bootcamp, but it should be possible to boot a Linux install CD and install it directly to the USB drive. You would need to make sure you are selecting the USB as the target for the install, lest you accidentally install Linux over your internal HDD. Usually, a USB will be identified to the Linux system as "/dev/sdb" and the internal drive as "/dev/sda". I've heard of some people disconnecting their hard drives to make sure they don't make a mistake, but I find that to be a little over the top.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.