Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bluebird3

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 29, 2013
I waited last summer for the new rMbp, it was released in October 2013. Didn't pull the trigger since I wanted read reviews from those who rushed to buy one. Then read those release wasn't much of a jump improvement from the pervious series ( just longer battery life? Also have had screen issues, now has been fixed), I'm about to go to the store this week however...... According to the Mac Rumors, it says Don't buy.....

:(

capathy21

macrumors 65816
Jun 16, 2014
Houston, Texas
I waited last summer for the new rMbp, it was released in October 2013. Didn't pull the trigger since I wanted read reviews from those who rushed to buy one. Then read those release wasn't much of a jump improvement from the pervious series ( just longer battery life? Also have had screen issues, now has been fixed), I'm about to go to the store this week however...... According to the Mac Rumors, it says Don't buy.....

I'd get one if I were you. It is assumed that their will be a refresh with a slight speed bump but nothing worth waiting for.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I'd not wait, get one now, since at best we'll see a minor speed bump.

I don't think apple is prepared to retool a manufacturer line to add a new GPU on an aging chipset that was supposed to be replaced at this point.

Sifinity

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2014
Texas
I'd not wait, get one now, since at best we'll see a minor speed bump.

I don't think apple is prepared to retool a manufacturer line to add a new GPU on an aging chipset that was supposed to be replaced at this point.

i figured that out now i think im a take up the applecare deal with adorama and buy there 5 year accidental warranty because i have a feeling either myself or someone will accidentally do something dumb to my 15" laptop lol

bluebird3

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 29, 2013
i figured that out now i think im a take up the applecare deal with adorama and buy there 5 year accidental warranty because i have a feeling either myself or someone will accidentally do something dumb to my 15" laptop lol

Mmm apple care, another expense I shall consider. Is it really worth it? I guess it is... I've never had one on any of my previous Mac ( it's been desktop Mac).

Meister

Suspended
Oct 10, 2013
Mmm apple care, another expense I shall consider. Is it really worth it? I guess it is... I've never had one on any of my previous Mac ( it's been desktop Mac).
:apple: care is not worth it.
Accidental warranty is worth it.

ourmountain

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2012

There's also a significant improvement to graphics, a thinner profile, and better performance with Haswell.

Buy now, and buy refurb if you want to save a few hundred bucks.

MCAsan

macrumors 601
Jul 9, 2012
Atlanta
I just got my new rMBP 11,3 this morning. The PCI-e SSD speed is twice that of my SATA based 2012 SSD. I was going to wait for a 2014 model. Assuming the only change this fall is a minor speed bump of 200, I could not resist the Adorama deal of $599 off with AppleCare. I noticed this morning the price is $50 higher.

That is the same as a refurbed one from Apple with AppleCare from B&H. And a couple of days ago, Apple removed many of the models from the refurbed site including the 15" model I wanted. So right now you many not find the refurbed model you want at Apple.

Meister

Suspended
Oct 10, 2013
I just got my new rMBP 11,3 this morning. The PCI-e SSD speed is twice that of my SATA based 2012 SSD. I was going to wait for a 2014 model. Assuming the only change this fall is a minor speed bump of 200, I could not resist the Adorama deal of $599 off with AppleCare. I noticed this morning the price is $50 higher.

That is the same as a refurbed one from Apple with AppleCare from B&H. And a couple of days ago, Apple removed many of the models from the refurbed site including the 15" model I wanted. So right now you many not find the refurbed model you want at Apple.
congratulations :)

Post your experiences.

Meister

Suspended
Oct 10, 2013
Why do you say apple care is not worth it? Something I've been on the fence about for a long time, would be nice to get another perspective!
its only my opinion. Some people think its worth it.

Problems I see with :apple:care:

• Doesnt cover damages
  • Phone service means: guy who knows nothing about computers following a standard protocoll
  • They can always deny a repair and blame it on "water damage"

The people on the phone are nice though. :)

An insurance covers everything, no matter what.
And since a laptop is for traveling, the chances of it getting stolen or damage are high.

For desktops :apple:care makes more sense.

Sifinity

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2014
Texas
Why do you say apple care is not worth it? Something I've been on the fence about for a long time, would be nice to get another perspective!
he says that because applecare isnt accidental damage ; so if you do happen to break your screen and water damage your laptop they won't do anything about ; how ever if you buy a accidental damage plan from somewhere else then they will replace it or give you the money back

MCAsan

macrumors 601
Jul 9, 2012
Atlanta
congratulations :)

Post your experiences.

Did a TM backup of previous rMBP SSD and used that with Migration Assistant to move me to the new rMBP. It took around 2 hours to do the backup and far less to move the data to the new machine. All apps I have tried are in working order.

Underlying disk I/O is much faster. I have 815GB of available disk space on the SSD. That should provide storage for a 2-3 week photo trip, especially since I now shoot 16MB raw files instead of 23MB files.

Thumbs up so far!!! :D

gbkrip

macrumors member
Aug 17, 2011
Nebraska
its only my opinion. Some people think its worth it.

Problems I see with :apple:care:

• Doesnt cover damages
  • Phone service means: guy who knows nothing about computers following a standard protocoll
  • They can always deny a repair and blame it on "water damage"

The people on the phone are nice though. :)

An insurance covers everything, no matter what.
And since a laptop is for traveling, the chances of it getting stolen or damage are high.

For desktops :apple:care makes more sense.

he says that because applecare isnt accidental damage ; so if you do happen to break your screen and water damage your laptop they won't do anything about ; how ever if you buy a accidental damage plan from somewhere else then they will replace it or give you the money back

So who would you buy this type of accidental protection from?

I've also heard of home insurance packages that include electronics (a friend has gotten a check for the original full cost of his 4+ year old laptop, which he destroyed on accident).

Meister

Suspended
Oct 10, 2013

I've also heard of home insurance packages that include electronics (a friend has gotten a check for the original full cost of his 4+ year old laptop, which he destroyed on accident).
I got it from the store I bought my macbook from.
But I live in germany. Dont know where to get it in nebraska.

Sifinity

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2014
Texas

adorama has there own leaf plus accidental warranty its $250 for 5 years or $180 for 3 years , or you can buy it from online from squaretrade but thats pretty expensive !

gbkrip

macrumors member
Aug 17, 2011
Nebraska
adorama has there own leaf plus accidental warranty its $250 for 5 years or $180 for 3 years , or you can buy it from online from squaretrade but thats pretty expensive !

Yes it is. Not sure if it is worth it for me. I generally take good care of my electronics.

Sifinity

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2014
Texas
Yes it is. Not sure if it is worth it for me. I generally take good care of my electronics.

really depends on your situation , i also take really good care on my laptops its just that im going to college and something dumb may end up happening to it since it will be moved around alot

gbkrip

macrumors member
Aug 17, 2011
Nebraska
really depends on your situation , i also take really good care on my laptops its just that im going to college and something dumb may end up happening to it since it will be moved around alot

I completely understand. Years ago, I was helping my best friend move in and watched his laptop (in a sleeve) fly out from the trunk onto the pavement when something else was lifted out. It was an HP. That thing really didn't take much to be totally destroyed. I've been extra paranoid about my laptops since then.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.