Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Jul 25, 2014, 10:38 AM   #26
dumastudetto
macrumors 6502a

That pipeline is about ready to rupture and spew incredible products that will change the world.
dumastudetto is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2014, 10:40 AM   #27
donnaw
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedromcm.pm View Post
Jesus, what is wrong with all of these "analysts"? Too dumb to be real journalists? That bad at math and physics so engineering is out of the question?

I mean, isn't a 600 billion $ valuation and the title of most value public traded company and 8 billion $ on a slow quarter good enough?

It's so boring... All of those attempts to manipulate the stock price. Apple is fine. In fact, they are better than everybody else in the tech industry. Why focus on trying to bring them down instead of focussing on making lesser companies like Samsung Electronics, Asus, Lenovo, LG, HTC, etc. up their respective games?

I mean, LG sells 15 million devices this quarter and makes 100 million $ in profits. What's the point, then? What's the point in selling gazilion devices and not make any money? Focus on Amazon FFS.
Just one small point, an 'analyst' is not a 'journalist'. An analyst's job is to take information from both the public sector and possibily other 'sources' (such as supply chain manufacturers) and try to predict growth or lack of growth in a company the point being to aid investors. An analyst makes their money on just how accurate their predictions are. Some are very good, because they study past actions as a way to predict the future or because they have 'other sources' where they get some inside information. Good analysts are very much in demand. They can try to manipulate stock prices but unless they are really good and have a great track record it's not really possible. Different investors listen to different analysts.

A journalist's job is to report news, period. Don't confuse the two.

As for the rest of your post, I don't get what you're trying to say. This is simply information and an observation by one analyst. Some people might use it to invest, some might use it to divest but a good investor will do more homework and make up their own mind.

Sorry, I just don't get the 'rant'.
donnaw is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2014, 10:55 AM   #28
2IS
macrumors 68020

It's as if they are about to release a new iPhone!
Old Jul 25, 2014, 11:02 AM   #29
omenatarhuri
macrumors 6502

The commitment was higher before iPhone 5 this could simply point towards iPhone 6 and nothing more. :/

iHope however for an iBiggerThanLifeTelevision and iMac 4K.
omenatarhuri is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2014, 11:07 AM   #30
IJ Reilly
macrumors P6

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnaw View Post
Just one small point, an 'analyst' is not a 'journalist'. An analyst's job is to take information from both the public sector and possibily other 'sources' (such as supply chain manufacturers) and try to predict growth or lack of growth in a company the point being to aid investors. An analyst makes their money on just how accurate their predictions are. Some are very good, because they study past actions as a way to predict the future or because they have 'other sources' where they get some inside information. Good analysts are very much in demand. They can try to manipulate stock prices but unless they are really good and have a great track record it's not really possible. Different investors listen to different analysts.

A journalist's job is to report news, period. Don't confuse the two.

As for the rest of your post, I don't get what you're trying to say. This is simply information and an observation by one analyst. Some people might use it to invest, some might use it to divest but a good investor will do more homework and make up their own mind.

Sorry, I just don't get the 'rant'.
A good explanation, to which I'd add that analysts work mainly for full-service brokerage houses that offer investment advice to their clients. Probably very few people who post on message boards are even aware of the existence of this type of broker. If you have an account with one, they will send you reports like these by way of advising you on your investments.

As for "manipulating" stocks, this is by definition a federal crime, but it also has a very specific and very misunderstood definition. The charge often leveled in this forum that all opinions expressed by analysts constitutes "stock manipulation" is ludicrous.
Old Jul 25, 2014, 11:20 AM   #31
a.gomez
macrumors 6502

guess they hit the post JOBS panic button... lets see what all this money buys
Old Jul 25, 2014, 11:23 AM   #32
PocketSand11
macrumors 6502a

Sounds good. Hopefully they're improving their Macs, not just the watch or iPhone I probably won't buy. If the future Mac Mini has decent specs, I will seriously consider buying that instead of a RMBP.
Fun fact: iPhone 5 aspect ratio = 640/1136 ≈ .5634. 9/16 = .5625. 639/1136 = .5625. Its screen is exactly one pixel too wide to be 9:16.
PocketSand11 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2014, 11:29 AM   #33
Reason077
macrumors 65816

Apple's Quarterly Spending Points to Growing Bureaucracy, Inefficiency, Waste

^^ Rewrote headline for you
Reason077 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2014, 11:29 AM   #34
Soulweaponry
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by sulpfiction View Post
If it's called iTime, it's iTime to hire someone new in the naming dept.
Just like whoever named the apple tablet the "iPad"? A name that was laughed at from every corner of the globe when the iPad first released? I thought iPad sounded ridiculous. Especially considering it was already a name mad tv parodied apple for previously. But I time? Who knows? Maybe that will be it
Old Jul 25, 2014, 11:32 AM   #35
Piggie
macrumors 601

iTime

http://youtu.be/v9JQsXPd41U
Old Jul 25, 2014, 11:36 AM   #36
StarManta
macrumors newbie

Send a message via AIM to StarManta Send a message via Yahoo to StarManta
Quote:
Originally Posted by donnaw View Post
An analyst makes their money on just how accurate their predictions are.
Boy I wish that was true. People would have more respect for "analyst" as a profession if it was.
StarManta is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2014, 11:46 AM   #37
yossi
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrJohnnyN View Post
Really excited about the iTime.
You were probably one of those guys who complained about the iPad when it was released that it sounded like a feminine hygiene product.
yossi is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2014, 11:48 AM   #38
donnaw
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarManta View Post
Boy I wish that was true. People would have more respect for "analyst" as a profession if it was.
Oh, it is true. And I highly doubt any analyst cares about respect from MacRumors forum members.

Analysts who make bad calls are very quickly out of a job. Before you judge what an analyst says look at who they work for. If it's a big brokerage house then they probably have a good track record. If it's a hedge fund, take any prediction with a huge lump (not even a grain) of salt.

Nobody's right all the time. But big bucks get traded everyday based on the good analysts predictions. If those predictions are wrong often enough, big bucks are lost, nobody listens to them again - boom, unemployment. Don't confuse the rumors posted here for good analysis. These are just the tip of a huge iceberg. They are posted as click bait, not investment advice.
donnaw is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2014, 11:49 AM   #39
winston1236
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Jesus, what is wrong with all of these "analysts"? Too dumb to be real journalists? That bad at math and physics so engineering is out of the question?

I mean, isn't a 600 billion $ valuation and the title of most value public traded company and 8 billion $ on a slow quarter good enough?

It's so boring... All of those attempts to manipulate the stock price. Apple is fine. In fact, they are better than everybody else in the tech industry. Why focus on trying to bring them down instead of focussing on making lesser companies like Samsung Electronics, Asus, Lenovo, LG, HTC, etc. up their respective games?

I mean, LG sells 15 million devices this quarter and makes 100 million $ in profits. What's the point, then? What's the point in selling gazilion devices and not make any money? Focus on Amazon FFS.

The stock market only cares about continuous short term growth, not sustainability of a company. But hopefully this means we will finally see the Mac Mini Pro!
Old Jul 25, 2014, 11:59 AM   #40
Four oF NINE
macrumors 65816

Will the iTime be on time?

New product nothing for 3 quarters and whatever they have gets dumped in the 4th quarter.. and by then it's sort of 'meh'

Where's the vision?
Old Jul 25, 2014, 12:07 PM   #41
Trapezoid
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Four oF NINE View Post
Will the iTime be on time?

New product nothing for 3 quarters and whatever they have gets dumped in the 4th quarter.. and by then it's sort of 'meh'

Where's the vision?
What does release date have to do with vision
Old Jul 25, 2014, 12:14 PM   #42
Shaun, UK
macrumors 68000

Yawn. Still not seen any new products. Products not Promises Mr Cook.
Shaun, UK is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2014, 12:19 PM   #43
SPUY767
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by bushido View Post
dont care about the watch, gimme a new apple tv or at least a new interface
The biggest thing the AppleTV needs is the App Store.

----------

Quote:
Focus on Amazon FFS.
It's a lot easier to ruse analysts into thinking you have a lot of potential for profit growth when you make essentially 0 profit.
Old Jul 25, 2014, 12:19 PM   #44
Shaun, UK
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by winston1236 View Post
But hopefully this means we will finally see the Mac Mini Pro!
Doubt that. Mac Mini is dead and buried. They've not updated it for nearly 2 years. It's what Apple does - let their products die a slow death without any updates or information for years.
Shaun, UK is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2014, 12:24 PM   #45
cube
macrumors G3

Does this mean the last datapoint is FAIL?
cube is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2014, 12:26 PM   #46
Four oF NINE
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by winston1236 View Post
The stock market only cares about continuous short term growth, not sustainability of a company. But hopefully this means we will finally see the Mac Mini Pro!
New Mac Pro IS the Mac Mini Pro
Old Jul 25, 2014, 12:30 PM   #47
Toltepeceno
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by IJ Reilly View Post

Or iWatch. Equally bad.[COLOR="#808080"]
I doubt it will be called iwatch.

http://www.cnet.com/news/non-apple-c...u-s-u-k-china/

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun, UK View Post
Doubt that. Mac Mini is dead and buried. They've not updated it for nearly 2 years. It's what Apple does - let their products die a slow death without any updates or information for years.
....while still charging the same price all of that time.
Old Jul 25, 2014, 12:37 PM   #48
BvizioN
macrumors 68000

Send a message via Skype™ to BvizioN
Quote:
Originally Posted by sulpfiction View Post
If it's called iTime, it's iTime to hire someone new in the naming dept.
That's what I heard about the name iPad when it was announced.
Old Jul 25, 2014, 12:43 PM   #49
IJ Reilly
macrumors P6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toltepeceno View Post
I doubt it too, but not for this reason. My reason: it's a terrible name, one that was created out of whole cloth by the Apple rumors community as a placeholder for an Apple wearable tech product that nobody really knows anything about. It doesn't get any better or more plausible by repetition.

The article really only compounds the error by suggesting that Apple will have a difficult time securing rights to the name, without even asking the question why they would even want to use the name.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by BvizioN View Post
That's what I heard about the name iPad when it was announced.
I don't recall anyone guessing that Apple's tablet would be called the iPad. This site promoted the idea that it would be called the iSlate. I'd put no stock in what MR or any of the other rumors or tech media sites says this product will be named, but I think some of the suggested names can be easily dismissed as just plain awful.
Old Jul 25, 2014, 12:45 PM   #50
absurdamerica
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by IJ Reilly View Post
A good explanation, to which I'd add that analysts work mainly for full-service brokerage houses that offer investment advice to their clients. Probably very few people who post on message boards are even aware of the existence of this type of broker. If you have an account with one, they will send you reports like these by way of advising you on your investments.

As for "manipulating" stocks, this is by definition a federal crime, but it also has a very specific and very misunderstood definition. The charge often leveled in this forum that all opinions expressed by analysts constitutes "stock manipulation" is ludicrous.
This is what happens when techie fanboys try to talk about the stock market like they have even a faint clue how this stuff works. Apparently he thinks the stock should just continue to rise in perpetuity because Apple is still the "biggest publicly traded company" or some such other meaningless stat.
absurdamerica is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion