Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gjwilly

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 1, 2011
SF Bay Area
I was issued an iPad mini with an Otterbox case but I hate the exposed screen.
The separate snap-on Otterbox cover is too bulky and cumbersome for me.
I'm looking for a fairly rugged case that also has some kind of built in cover flap.
A tri-fold sleep/wake cover would be a nice bonus but any kid of flap at all would be good.
I don't need it to be built like a tank but it should have a little drop protection.

yabai

macrumors member
Apr 27, 2007
There's the Logitech Big Bang case or the Tech 21 Impact Folio. Those are pretty great.

TheIntruder

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2008
STM Dux.

Check out the drop test video on YouTube.

It's probably the cheapest of the rugged cases out there as well.

hungx

macrumors 6502
May 8, 2012
Davis, CA
The LifeProof Nuud/Fre. This case is actually waterproof, so that's a bonus.

I'm actually trying to get rid of one, so if you want it send me a PM. I have the white LifeProof Nuud with the gray Smart Cover attachment.

Gjwilly

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 1, 2011
SF Bay Area
I'd found the Dux and I really like it but I'm a little leery that more places aren't selling it yet.
The Big Bang looks it might be a good fit too.
Protective to make my bosses happy yet with a cover.

hungx: PM sent.

jrs22

macrumors 6502
Aug 1, 2012
I have an iPad Air, not a mini, but i'll share my experience anyway. I tried the logitech Big Bang and was shocked by how flimsy the cover flap was, and how weak the magnets are. I returned it and bought a Speck Durafolio instead. While there is a minimal gap around the volume buttons, that area is covered by the front flap when the iPad is off. The various stand positions work well, and, at least on my case, the magnets are really strong. I feel comfortable carrying my iPad Air about when I'm traveling over the next few months.

TheIntruder

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2008
I'd found the Dux and I really like it but I'm a little leery that more places aren't selling it yet.
The Big Bang looks it might be a good fit too.
Protective to make my bosses happy yet with a cover.

The Dux has actually been on sale for a while, but there's some unknown issue right now surrounding its supply. When I first started looking a couple weeks ago, they were plentiful in the Apple stores, where I first saw it, and Amazon.

By late last week, when I was finally ready to buy something, the supply had dried up everywhere. Luckily, my Apple store still had one in stock (even though the store availability system showed none) so I grabbed it.

I also have a STM Studio in hand, but will probably return it in favor of the Dux. I can take some comparison pix if you like.

I've handled the Big Bang, and it's not that great, especially for the price. Best Buy and Staples have Logitech aisle displays if you want to check it out.

The Speck is a pretty nice case, but aside from the potential button bulge (not known whether it's been corrected), I didn't like the way the cover didn't sit flat (at the crease), and had the potential to skate. The mini version might be better.

Incipio has a rugged case as well, but I don't have any hands on experience with it.

The Dux is most like a TPU phone case, and to me, probably the best compromise between protection and bulk/weight. I also like the magnetic tab that secures the cover, though I know some people dislike the extra material. I'll happily take that over a cover that skates and unintentionally wakes the iPad.

The heavy duty Otters and Lifeproofs probably offer more protection, but I've never been a fan of their bulk, or style.

gvndeb60

macrumors newbie
Jul 27, 2014
The LifeProof Nuud/Fre. This case is actually waterproof, so that's a bonus.

I'm actually trying to get rid of one, so if you want it send me a PM. I have the white LifeProof Nuud with the gray Smart Cover attachment.
I know you are selling yours, but would you recommend Life proof? I had an otter box on my first gen mini but have never owned life proof and am not sure it is worth triple the price.

hungx

macrumors 6502
May 8, 2012
Davis, CA
I know you are selling yours, but would you recommend Life proof? I had an otter box on my first gen mini but have never owned life proof and am not sure it is worth triple the price.

I'm only selling it because I bought another one (different color). I would definitely recommend this case. I'm not a fan of built in screen protectors as dust almost always finds its way under the screen protector. Although the Nuud does not have a screen protector, you can cut down a regular screen protector to fit the exposed part of the screen.

Lifeproof usually has promotions between 15-25% off if you decide to get the case, though you may need to do some searching.

TheIntruder

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2008
That would be great!
Thanks

Here they are. These are the iPad Air versions.

As you can see, the pad is encased in a TPU/rubber-like bumper rather than snapped into a shell.

A bit surprisingly, the Dux is only a smidgen larger and thicker than the Studio. I thought the former would be noticeably larger due to its protective aim, but it isn't. I didn't really notice any weight difference either.

The Studio is not a rugged-style case, and I didn't set out looking for one in particular either. The Dux caught my eye because it seemed like a good case, not because it was rugged. I always like to see things in person first, and the random chance to do that at the Apple store was very helpful.

I got them both to compare, and for me, I like the Dux better, and the blue over the red as well. I wanted to avoid the mundane black for this case at least.

I also like the smaller cutouts on the Dux, as well as the textured rubber finish on the cover. The Studio has a smooth matte finish on the cover and a rubberized matte shell; I think both might be more apt to show wear and tear over time. The clear polycarbonate back on the Dux could, too, but that isn't as much of a factor for me.

The tab on the Dux is easier to grab and open the cover. The long flap on the Studio is more flush with the shell, and the soft edge gives a little before hitting the rigid insert.

Can't speak of durability yet, but the most vulnerable areas seem to be the attachment point for the cover, and its edges. If it ever does become detached, at least the design allows for an easy fix with some stronger adhesive.

That said, the Studio isn't a bad case. One could do worse for $30. But for me at least, I prefer its sibling, and will be taking advantage of Zappos' free returns.

Attachments

• aIMG_0446.jpg
    aIMG_0446.jpg
    159.2 KB · Views: 180
  • aIMG_0450.jpg
    aIMG_0450.jpg
    162.4 KB · Views: 178
  • aIMG_0447.jpg
    aIMG_0447.jpg
    133.6 KB · Views: 155
  • aIMG_0449.jpg
    aIMG_0449.jpg
    110.6 KB · Views: 242
  • aIMG_0451.jpg
    aIMG_0451.jpg
    152.7 KB · Views: 170

gvndeb60

macrumors newbie
Jul 27, 2014
I'm only selling it because I bought another one (different color). I would definitely recommend this case. I'm not a fan of built in screen protectors as dust almost always finds its way under the screen protector. Although the Nuud does not have a screen protector, you can cut down a regular screen protector to fit the exposed part of the screen.

Lifeproof usually has promotions between 15-25% off if you decide to get the case, though you may need to do some searching.
Thanks for the feedback, I will have to grab one.

Truefan31

macrumors 68040
Aug 25, 2012
STM Dux.

Check out the drop test video on YouTube.

It's probably the cheapest of the rugged cases out there as well.

I got a STM dux for both my rmini and air. Impressed so far. it does add some weight but I like the protection it gives with minimal bulk. Has a nice lip too to keep the screen protected

Gjwilly

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 1, 2011
SF Bay Area
Here they are. These are the iPad Air versions.

As you can see, the pad is encased in a TPU/rubber-like bumper rather than snapped into a shell.

A bit surprisingly, the Dux is only a smidgen larger and thicker than the Studio. I thought the former would be noticeably larger due to its protective aim, but it isn't. I didn't really notice any weight difference either.

The Studio is not a rugged-style case, and I didn't set out looking for one in particular either. The Dux caught my eye because it seemed like a good case, not because it was rugged. I always like to see things in person first, and the random chance to do that at the Apple store was very helpful.

I got them both to compare, and for me, I like the Dux better, and the blue over the red as well. I wanted to avoid the mundane black for this case at least.

I also like the smaller cutouts on the Dux, as well as the textured rubber finish on the cover. The Studio has a smooth matte finish on the cover and a rubberized matte shell; I think both might be more apt to show wear and tear over time. The clear polycarbonate back on the Dux could, too, but that isn't as much of a factor for me.

The tab on the Dux is easier to grab and open the cover. The long flap on the Studio is more flush with the shell, and the soft edge gives a little before hitting the rigid insert.

Can't speak of durability yet, but the most vulnerable areas seem to be the attachment point for the cover, and its edges. If it ever does become detached, at least the design allows for an easy fix with some stronger adhesive.

That said, the Studio isn't a bad case. One could do worse for $30. But for me at least, I prefer its sibling, and will be taking advantage of Zappos' free returns.

Great. Very useful.
thanks

ericg301

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2010
any other recos? looking for something around $50 to protect an iPad mini from my 2 and 4 year olds. doesnt need to be waterproof, but maybe enough coverage to keep a small spill from frying it.

ive literally spent hours researching this over the last couple days. my brain is fried, speaking of. just need a reco.

would prefer a screen protector and some sort of stand.

ericg301

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2010
Just found this one:
http://www.amazon.com/CASEFORMERS-D...8&qid=1407848262&sr=8-12&keywords=caseformers

Think I just might have to give it a try.
Certainly cheap enough.

I just got this case yesterday (in white). The corner are a soft rubber -- I thought it'd be a harder material. Still provides protection though.

You can't use right angle headphones -- the cover is too thick. You'll need an adapter.

Also, the cover the folds back isn't "flush". It's longer than the iPad itself. Not sure why they can't figure that out -- my apple cover flips back and remains flush with the device. Not a big deal but kind of annoying.

I'll probably keep the case (the device is for my kids). For the price is seems to offer a decent amount of protection

Gjwilly

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 1, 2011
SF Bay Area
I just got this case yesterday (in white). The corner are a soft rubber -- I thought it'd be a harder material. Still provides protection though.

You can't use right angle headphones -- the cover is too thick. You'll need an adapter.

Also, the cover the folds back isn't "flush". It's longer than the iPad itself. Not sure why they can't figure that out -- my apple cover flips back and remains flush with the device. Not a big deal but kind of annoying.

I'll probably keep the case (the device is for my kids). For the price is seems to offer a decent amount of protection

Got mine yesterday as we'll (in black) and it's going back to Amazon.
Like you said, the inner skin is just a soft, cheap silicone.
I see it being a huge dust magnet.
I only had mine installed for two hours and when I took it off there was already dust inside.
On mine, one of the speaker holes was not cut out and the Lightning port hole was only partially cut out.
Unlike the Otterbox iPhone case, the hole for the Apple logo on the back is just that -- a hole with no kind of clear plastic protection. Just an other place for dust/debris to enter and cause scratches.
I like the feel of the snap on exterior layer but it looks like they bonded it with the microfiber inner layer before stamping it out and then not bothering to seal the edges in any way. If the two materials don't start separating very quickly, I'll be surprised.
The sleep/wake magnet is strong enough to keep the cover closed when inverted but something is off somehow with the alignment because there were quite a few times when I opened /closed the case without triggering the iPad.
All in all it has the feel of a cheap $10 case and if they fixed the few quality problems I think it would be just fine as a medium-duty kids' case.

ericg301

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2010
I went with the Speck DuraFolio for my iPad mini. Doesn't add that much bulk while adding (what seems to be) a lot of protection. It's not a "full armor" case like Otterbox, but I think it will be enough protection for my needs.

I don't see any of the "sagging" volume button issues that I've read about elsewhere on here.

STMBags

macrumors newbie
Jun 3, 2011
STM Dux Available Now

This is Adam from STM. Wanted to address some of the questions that came up in the threads below. First, thanks for even including the Dux in the discussion, we appreciate it. The Dux should be available now in Apple Retail, Apple Online, Amazon, Simply Mac, and Computer Stores of the Northwest to name several. Also like all STM products, the Dux carries a lifetime warranty - so long term durability of the product should be insured. Other questions are welcome.

Thanks,

Adam
STM Bags, LLC

TheIntruder

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2008
In case anyone is interested in the Speck DuraFolio mini, Target has them on clearance.

Initially, the markdown was to about $30, but they're now down to $17.39. They also have the ShowFolio or some such for a dollar or two less.

I guess the supply problem with the Dux was cleared up? Apple now lists them as available in store, but they don't occupy the shelf space that they used to, so one has to shop via the online store first.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.