Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

geter712

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 24, 2014
Today I've bought a brend new ipod shuffle 2nd gen 1g. I've opened the stock box and tried to turn it via on/off switch but it was dead. Light indicator wasn't showing any light so I assumed that battery is totally empty since the device came straight from the factory. I've switched it back to OFF and connected it to my PC via original dock and it started blinking yellow. I've installed itunes software and when installation finished, software automatically started and the ipod was recognized. Flashing orange light switched to green. This was a little bit odd for me since I've read the light code and it says it should be yellow until battery is fully charged. But instead of that it switched directly to green. After that I've synced couple of songs for testing purposes and the transfer finished in a few seconds. Then after couple of hours I've disconnected it from the dock and the green light died as expected (since power switch was on OFF). But when I switched it on, nothing happened! When I put it on the dock, it flashes yellow couple of times and it goes green, like the battery if fully charged. But when I disconnect it, it instantly dies. I've returned it to the seller and he gave me another one, also brend new, UNOPENED. But when I came home, exactly the same scenario happened! Ive tried all USB ports on my PC, as well on my LAPTOP, but it behaves the same way. I've also tried external power bank and it also glows green! Is it possible that the both devices are broken? Or maybe I'm doing something wrong? I have win7 x64 on my PC and Windows XP SP3 on my laptop.

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Probably just dead batteries.
If you really have an iPod Shuffle 2G - then it is at least 5 years old, even if still in the original sealed box. The battery slowly drains off, and if completely flat - never charged in 5 years, then you just have to get lucky to find one that will charge after 5 years.
So far, not… :D
Replacing the original battery with new will get you going.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1510

You can see that article shows that a fully discharged battery should fully charge within 4 hours (and you should expect it to take about that long.)
The very short time to green should tell you that something is wrong with the battery
It's 5 years old (could be close to 8 years old.) Batteries need to charge occasionally, even if seldom used.

Again, replace the battery with a new one.
They are not hard to find:
http://www.repairsuniverse.com/shuffle2ndgenbat.html

geter712

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 24, 2014
I've returned it to the seller and got a third one and it works without any problems. Very strange for Apple product... I mean, I understand it is an older product but I still think it should work since it is a brand new. I think it might be the problem that these were made for Russian market, and I've heard rumors that all products that ship outside the US are lower quality...

Darth.Titan

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2007
Austin, TX
I've returned it to the seller and got a third one and it works without any problems. Very strange for Apple product... I mean, I understand it is an older product but I still think it should work since it is a brand new. I think it might be the problem that these were made for Russian market, and I've heard rumors that all products that ship outside the US are lower quality...

There's nothing strange about what you experienced, Apple product or otherwise.

You stated it was a second gen iPod Shuffle. Even if it's "brand new," Apple discontinued that model five years ago. That means its battery has been on the shelf, unused for at least that long. I'm surprised you were able to get one that works at all.

It has nothing to do with lower quality products being made for different markets.

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
... Very strange for Apple product... I mean, I understand it is an older product but I still think it should work since it is a brand new. I think it might be the problem that these were made for Russian market, and I've heard rumors that all products that ship outside the US are lower quality...

Yes, it has nothing to do with the fact that it was sitting on a shelf, or in a box (with unknown temp/humidity) for at least 5 years… :D

geter712

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 24, 2014
Yes, it has nothing to do with the fact that it was sitting on a shelf, or in a box (with unknown temp/humidity) for at least 5 years… :D

Yeah, low temperature definitely destroys batteries... That's the only reasonable explanation. But still, if stored adequately, they should survive at least 5-6 years.

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
...That's the only reasonable explanation. But still, if stored adequately, they should survive at least 5-6 years.

And, that's the point. You don't know if they were "stored adequately" - and
you would be at the upper end of that 5-6 years, and could even be beyond. That Shuffle 2G was first sold new in September 2006.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.