Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Following the launch of yesterday's public beta for OS X Yosemite, the operating system's share of global Mac traffic has nearly doubled according to installation numbers from GoSquared.

The site has been tracking the usage of OS X Yosemite in real time since its initial developer launch on June 2. Yesterday, ahead of the beta launch, Yosemite accounted for 0.26 percent of all Mac traffic globally and as of today, that number has crept up to 0.49 percent.

osxyosemiteadoptionrates.jpg
In just over 24 hours, the number of Yosemite users has doubled, and those numbers will likely grow even further today and over the weekend as additional testers download the beta OS. Many users are still having issues downloading the software, which is preventing Yosemite from reaching all prospective beta testers.

Earlier this month, analytics from Chitika suggested developer interest in Yosemite was higher than usual, with early adoption rates outpacing Mavericks adoption rates by a significant margin. High interest in OS X Yosemite can be attributed to both the operating system's redesign with a focus on simplicity and translucency and its new features that offer deep integration with iOS 8, including Continuity.

Last year, OS X Mavericks was adopted at a rapid pace, seeing 7 percent installation in under 24 hours after its public launch. Based on the public beta numbers and the high developer interest, Yosemite adoption may be even more rapid when the software is released to the public this fall.

OS X Yosemite is currently available to registered developers and those who signed up to beta test the software. Beta users who are new to the operating system can check out our first impressions post and get troubleshooting tips and information on Yosemite's new features in our Yosemite forums.

GoSquared's Yosemite numbers are gathered from the percentage of page views across all sites using GoSquared's analytics and updated on a minute-by-minute basis.

Article Link: OS X Yosemite's Share of Mac Traffic Doubles Following Public Beta Launch

gmanist1000

macrumors 68030
Sep 22, 2009
Good. Maybe this will result in more and better bug reports.

This is why a public beta is a great idea. For an operating system that people will be using every single day for their line of work, it's best to get as many bug reports as possible.

I'm curious what MacRumors analytics look like after the public beta release.

tliede20

macrumors regular
Nov 19, 2013
Los Angeles, CA
New Features

I think it's also mindful for people to comment on feature sets that have disappeared or that should be added too... :) For example quick tweet / facebook / linked in is gone! :( atleast to my knowledge.

Alphabetize

macrumors 6502
Oct 6, 2013
I just switched back to Mavericks because Yosemite was a little too buggy for me. Gonna wait out until the official release.

I miss the new design already!

iStrikeRx

macrumors newbie
Jan 4, 2014
I think it's also mindful for people to comment on feature sets that have disappeared or that should be added too... :) For example quick tweet / facebook / linked in is gone! :( atleast to my knowledge.

I can only imagine that has been done in line with it's removal in iOS too.

In all honesty, even those features were too hip for iOS/MacOS. There has to be a line drawn somewhere.

User response to it being introduced was very negative in the first place too tbh.

Foss

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2008
I just switched back to Mavericks because Yosemite was a little too buggy for me. Gonna wait out until the official release.

I miss the new design already!

Why not just install it on another partition to play with. That's what I and a lot of people have done. I don't think it's quite ready to be my daily driver, but in a few iterations, it probably will be. I am very tempted to get IOS 8, but I can't have my phone crashing on me. So that probably isn't a real option yet.

GeneralChang

macrumors 68000
Dec 2, 2013
I can only imagine that has been done in line with it's removal in iOS too.

In all honesty, even those features were too hip for iOS/MacOS. There has to be a line drawn somewhere.

User response to it being introduced was very negative in the first place too tbh.

Oh I don’t know, I use the Facebook thing all the time. It’s actually about the only way I ever update my status on there. Though I’d imagine that with widgets coming to the today view, there will probably be one out there to return that functionality eventually.

MacGeek1987

macrumors regular
Sep 11, 2012
New Hampshire, USA

Are you talking about the social media links in the notification center? They are there, you just have to add them. At the bottom of the notification center, click on edit.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-07-25 at 2.49.12 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-07-25 at 2.49.12 PM.png
    61.8 KB · Views: 192

DanTheAppleMan

macrumors regular
Jul 26, 2012
UK
So far I'm finding the latest Yosemite beta is no more buggy than the latest release of Mavericks. Nothing major yet, just lots of rough edges that I wouldn't have bothered to put through Radar.

Swift

macrumors 68000
Feb 18, 2003
Los Angeles
I'm liking it

It installed with no problems after I figured how to make it change my code, and ran just fine afterwards. All scrolling is better, but especially in Mail and Safari. I found out where the Dark Menus are. Love them. I'm getting some things to work one at a time: Flip4Mac shoved me an update. Works now.

I have a backup I can go right back to if need be, but it seems pretty well-behaved. Don't know what you complainers are talking about, the translucency is great but very subtle.

fullauto

macrumors 6502a
Oct 19, 2012
Brisbane
Really tempted to download iOS 8, shame there wasn't two public betas. This may increase unauthorised install methods of beta 4.. They go hand in hand..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.