Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cormeister616

macrumors newbie
Jul 23, 2014
Am I the only person who owns an appleTV that didn't get this update? I had auto play for one night and it disappeared. Anyone else having this issue?

Same here, it was nice while it lasted! Though I did notice the "up next" feature came up a little early. Not 4 or 6 minutes like some mentioned, but half way through the credits it went to the next episode. Not a problem for me, I don't care to watch the credits, but I'm assuming it wasn't suppose to do that.

Lankyman

macrumors 68020
May 14, 2011
U.K.
but why not load all your "thumb drive" movies onto your iTunes and airplay everything? i don't put in movies anymore after i transferred my whole dvd/blu ray collection to a hard drive that is plugged into my router. I can airplay all my movies and music from my phone/ipad/mac to my speakers wirelessly. I also use a sleeping app on my phone or iPad to play rain or waves sounds from the app to my surround sound through airplay. I don't understand why more people don't take advantage of this. Its the main selling point of an Apple TV to me honestly.
Can you do this with your "smart tv" ... no

Couple of reasons. The HDD on my iMac is not large enough and the ITunes server on NAS drives tend to be anything but. I tried moving iTunes onto my NAS with the library file residing on my iMac. However I found this method unreliable. I can play all my music wirelessly via my Sonos. However, having media on tap with a direct connection to the TV is bar far the most reliable method for films and programmes.

SeanMcg

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2004
Working today

This feature is actually working for me correctly today. It waits until the end of the episode until it starts the next one. So it appears that they got the bugs worked out.

YMMV

macUser2007

macrumors 68000
May 30, 2007
Although, it would be much better if they simply queue in the next episode, as they do on other front ends and as Netflix does on other platforms.

tomtendo

Suspended
Aug 29, 2009
Florida
About damn time. I would intentionally not use my Apple TV when going to bed at night when watching short sitcoms cause it wouldn't play the next episode when I was relaxing/trying to fall asleep. No idea why it took them so long to add this feature.:confused:

uwdude

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2014
It looks like the feature was back as of last night, but after X number of episodes it checks in with you and asks you to click continue, the "are you still there?" kind of thing. I haven't counted how many episodes yet before it does that.

hemanwomanhater

macrumors regular
Nov 22, 2010
Dude, this has been a feature on just about every 10ft UI for the past 5 years or so, except for Apple TV.

It simply means that when I finish Episode 1, it automatically queues Episode 2, so I don't have to drill out through the menus and then back in.

It works well and I cannot imagine why anyone would not want it, unless you never watch more than one episode at a sitting, or you just enjoy going up and down through menus.

I am glad Apple TV finally moved into the 21st century, at least as far as the Netflix app goes.

I really think we're more or less on the same page here. I don't like having to deal with menus after every episode either.

I still liked it more for the couple of days when it would require a single click to play the next episode, but the full-on autoplay is nice either way compared to the menus.

Adele Samantha

macrumors newbie
Oct 2, 2014
Access Netflix outside the US thru UnoTelly!

Great article Juli. For those who live outside US like me, you can access Netflix, and similar media stations on your Apple TV by using UnoTelly or similar tools.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.