Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
I take all of those with a grain of salt.......Has OPO had some phones not meet QA standards? Most definitely! But i do not think it is as widespread as the forums would have you believe. Have you ever been to the Apple support forums? Or any other support forum for that matter......if you based your purchasing solely from reading support forums....you would never buy a new product.

mclld

macrumors 68030
Nov 6, 2012
Yeah people do not go to support forums to talk about how great their phone is doing

djfmf

macrumors member
Nov 28, 2012
I just got mine 2 days ago and it really is amazing. While my Sony Xperia Z1s is a good smartphone with 2013/2014 topline specs the one plus one just beats it out of the water in feel, performance, and use alone. :) I don't care what new iPhone apple comes out with this year, until they can deliver a phone in a price range that is rational, it has no way of beating the one plus one for what it offers at $350.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Yeah people do not go to support forums to talk about how great their phone is doing

No ... the most vocal are often the ones with the issue - but thats often not a true indicative statement of the whole.

That being said, 24 hours later and I've sold my OPO this evening for the same price I paid .... It's a nice handset - but it just wasn't for me. In future I need to see and touch any device before I buy it. I'm going to pick up a Lumia 930 instead, which after seeing how pretty it is in person - I have no regrets.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Is it better than the Nexus?

Yes and no ... It's certainly better specced than the Nexus 5 - and cyangoenmod is at least reliably supported and Android L is promised 3 months after it drops ... But that's still 3 months later than the Nexus 5 will have it for example. Nexus main benefit as always is the speed of new updates. But stock android is far less customisable (still no way of having a separate lock screen and home screen image for example) and thats the benefit of cyanogenmod.

So swings and roundabouts. In many ways its far better than the nexus 5, but in a few others the nexus 5 has the advantage.

sixrom

macrumors 6502a
Nov 13, 2013
I take all of those with a grain of salt.......Has OPO had some phones not meet QA standards? Most definitely! But i do not think it is as widespread as the forums would have you believe. Have you ever been to the Apple support forums? Or any other support forum for that matter......if you based your purchasing solely from reading support forums....you would never buy a new product.

Very well said!

To which I might add, the low price of this phone attracts a different customer than full price flagship's from other mfgs do. Therefore the nature of the reports coming in tend to be skewed and far less than as accurate as true enthusiasts would report.

Sensamic

macrumors 68040
Mar 26, 2010

That's true in part IMO. I read all the forums of the phones I'm interested in buying to see possible issues and such.

I usually take them seriously. My last two phones have had issues that were explained and talked about in their respective forums:

- Nexus 5: the microphone issue while recording video, weak vibration, weak speaker, weak battery life.

- LG G2: GPS is terrible, the back cover creaks, cell reception is weak (they say it's because of the antenna location, kind of like the iPhone 4 antennagate. All I know is cell reception in my house is worst than on my previous SGS3).

If I had research better I would have probably not bought the LG G2 because of the poor GPS and cell reception.

Those two issues are the reasons why now I'm looking at the OnePlus One.

Cnasty

macrumors 68040
Jul 2, 2008
This phone and price are amazing but trying to get away from a big phone everyday as I have the Note 3.

It was my first dive into the phablet world after coming from an S3 and it has been an interesting experiment to say the least. I love watching videos and browsing the web on the beautiful screen but Its just a tad too big of a form factor for my everyday work life and daily need.

I think 5 inches will be the sweet spot and trying to find the phones that fit that criteria.

abshole765

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2013

Check out OnePlus on Reddit. You'll see it all, the good & the bad. The people that love the device, the people who have urine colored screens, the ones that have yellow bands, the ones that have dead pixels, missing volume rockers, completely missing the phone entirely. You'll see it all.

The fact that these make it out of their warehouse and into customers hands is shocking. They say they have high standards, but can let a phone get mailed to a paying customer that is missing a volume rocker? Really. How the hell do you let that one slip. It's not like they're making mass amounts of devices every day.

And at the same time, if another big name manufacturer would have something like that happen, the customer service wouldn't be speaking to you like you're a child, or straight up saying photos showing discoloration have been doctored.

The whole yellow screen issue really makes me scratch my head. It's almost like they saw a few devices after they were fully assembled, noticed they were yellow, and then said they intentionally did it just to cover their own asses.

Who on Earth PURPOSELY makes a screen yellow? If you're going to let the user change the hues, make it white to begin with. Multiple devices using the same settings still don't even look close to each other.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Check out OnePlus on Reddit. You'll see it all, the good & the bad. The people that love the device, the people who have urine colored screens, the ones that have yellow bands, the ones that have dead pixels, missing volume rockers, completely missing the phone entirely. You'll see it all.

The fact that these make it out of their warehouse and into customers hands is shocking. They say they have high standards, but can let a phone get mailed to a paying customer that is missing a volume rocker? Really. How the hell do you let that one slip. It's not like they're making mass amounts of devices every day.

And at the same time, if another big name manufacturer would have something like that happen, the customer service wouldn't be speaking to you like you're a child, or straight up saying photos showing discoloration have been doctored.

The whole yellow screen issue really makes me scratch my head. It's almost like they saw a few devices after they were fully assembled, noticed they were yellow, and then said they intentionally did it just to cover their own asses.

Who on Earth PURPOSELY makes a screen yellow? If you're going to let the user change the hues, make it white to begin with. Multiple devices using the same settings still don't even look close to each other.
I don't discount the fact some are having issues......We all know the whole OPO experience leaves a lot to be desired. They have made a ton of mistakes.
But my experince was different. The OPO i had was perfect.

Let me remind you of Apple and antenna gate. I had a IP4 that would go from full bars to no service in 30 seconds just by holding the phone. SJ said we were all holding it wrong. Wonder how the QA dept missed that.
My meaning.......it happens to all companies.

akuma13

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2006
Besides the yellow tinge on the bottom, this is the best android phone i've had. The combination of Cyanogenmod, android, and hardware is near perfect.

Sensamic

macrumors 68040
Mar 26, 2010
I'm talking to a guy about trading my G2 32GB for his OnePlus 64GB.

Would you guys do it?

If not, I would sell the G2 and go for the new Moto X+1.

Which of the two options do you think it's better? I'm leaning towards the second one, but I would lose a little bit of money with this option.

gotluck

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2011
East Central Florida
^ think that comes down to what size you want.

Moto will probably be more manageable sizewize

Personally I trust moto more as well

But it will cost more

Last edited:

funkyc

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2008
Have never tried an android phone....this will the first time I've strayed from iPhones since the original if I could get an invite for one lol looks like very nice specs so I think this will be a killer intro into android phones :) anyone got any more invites? :cool:

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
Have never tried an android phone....this will the first time I've strayed from iPhones since the original if I could get an invite for one lol looks like very nice specs so I think this will be a killer intro into android phones :) anyone got any more invites? :cool:

Oh my! Its going to be a big adjustment for you but hang in there.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
I'm talking to a guy about trading my G2 32GB for his OnePlus 64GB.

Would you guys do it?

If not, I would sell the G2 and go for the new Moto X+1.

Which of the two options do you think it's better? I'm leaning towards the second one, but I would lose a little bit of money with this option.

Why not trade for the oneplus one now, see how you get on, and should you think the moto x+1 when it is available is better get that then. The would be little price difference in selling the G2 or OnePlus One so you won't lose anything by having a try now.

Have a try, you might like it.

joshwithachance

macrumors 68010
Dec 11, 2009
Just when I thought I was set with my HTC One M8 I get an invite for the OnePlus One this morning, and the tech nerd inside of me made me purchase it lol. Hope it lives up to the hype!

sunnyj

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2010
Vancouver, British Columbia
Here is one of the bugs I mentioned earlier. When i am using a custom lock screen the notification bar from the home screen is overlapping the lock screen. when I switch to the cyanogenmod lock screen, the notification bar is not overlapped. does anything have a solution to this bug? restarting and powering the phone off did nothing.

14772563143_2b51bd488a_b.jpg

14752691475_834974b8df_b.jpg

aeboi

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2009
Bay Area
a lot of these quirks will be fixed in the next OTA, which is almost ready for release according to 1+ staff

whoknows87

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2012
S.Florida
I'm really loving this phone, battery life is finally settling in nicely and everything is great just need them to fix the call volume ( a bit low for me) could be them or maybe my hearing is deterioating :D, I was never a fan of huge screen phones but it only took a few days to get used too and it doesn't feel that huge ( it is a big phone not a small phone by any means, but still manageable, are there any tweaks I can do if/when I root to increase battery life and maybe increasing call volumes? if so please point me to them

Bacong

macrumors 68030
Mar 7, 2009
Westland, Michigan
I'm really loving this phone, battery life is finally settling in nicely and everything is great just need them to fix the call volume ( a bit low for me) could be them or maybe my hearing is deterioating :D, I was never a fan of huge screen phones but it only took a few days to get used too and it doesn't feel that huge ( it is a big phone not a small phone by any means, but still manageable, are there any tweaks I can do if/when I root to increase battery life and maybe increasing call volumes? if so please point me to them

you should be able to root without losing data assuming your bootloader is unlocked. Also, once you're rooted, install greenify if you haven't already.

funkyc

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2008
Oh my! Its going to be a big adjustment for you but hang in there.

Hope it'll be a positive adjustment? Lol I did have an android tab (Samsung 7.7) that I really liked but I did replace that with an iPad mini when I accidentally sat on it and broke the screen one day :eek:

Very rare nowadays to not have tried other makes, but my wife and I just prefer iPhones as everything just works with our all apple environment at home with macs etc everywhere. We do use blackberries for work though, but they're not androids either.

I am however getting really bored of iPhones after having owned pretty much every version since the original (I only skipped the 3G) so want to try something different. I almost got a Note 3 last year but in the end chickened out and got a 5S. Now I'm really bored and although my wife is waiting for the 5.5" 6, I'm looking for something different. After a bit of poking around I got interested in the simplicity of this phone and the promise of almost stock android without the bloatware etc. Is this a good choice or would something else suit a newbie like me? :)

Last edited:

Savor

Suspended
Jun 18, 2010
m.blog.laptopmag.com/smartphones-best-battery-life?slide=2

^^^ After reading through that site, I think I may have chosen the wrong One.

OnePlus One ranked #2 in another site as well only behind the Xperia Z2 in that site.

I think 2014 has been more evolutionary than revolutionary like what 2013 was to me. But the Snapdragon 800 and higher phones did improve nearly double on battery life. Anything pre-Snapdragon 800 with a sub-3000 mAh battery is starting to look dated and unacceptable to me. Nexus 5 with a 1080p/SD800 was one of the only ones NOT to pack a 3000 mAh and battery life was fairly short with its puny 2300 mAh.

Xiaomi Mi 3, Mi 4, and OnePlus One look to be better bargains in the longer run than the Nexus 5.

Mi 4 & OPO are two of the best deals of the 2014 flagships.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.