Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

=w=

macrumors 6502a
Aug 11, 2012
Are those the Swan M10 speakers? How do you like them? I have been looking for a pair for a while but haven't had any luck. Also that is a very nice looking desk.

Thanks,
Hunter

Hello, Hunter.

Yes, they are the Swan M10's. I like them a lot, but have actually been thinking about getting rid of them for a regular 2.0 system, rather than having the woofer (or whatever you call it).

Certain tones from music tend to hurt my ears and it seems as though whatever sounds the woofer puts out is what does it.

Other than my personal issues with them, they are good speakers. I had some Bose Companion 3 Series II speakers previous to using these and those were way better, but they were also about $200 more.

kdm0505

macrumors member
Jul 5, 2014
Hey guys I'm re-posting my setup because I do not know how to quote the thumbnail on the previous posting. But I am looking for a speaker recommendation. I currently have a logitech 2.0 system and I just know how I can set it up without my desk being cluttered. Possibly a single speaker on the right side of the desk? Any suggestions from you experts would be great, thanks

Attachments

• IMG_0046.JPG
    IMG_0046.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 400

=w=

macrumors 6502a
Aug 11, 2012
Hey guys I'm re-posting my setup because I do not know how to quote the thumbnail on the previous posting. But I am looking for a speaker recommendation. I currently have a logitech 2.0 system and I just know how I can set it up without my desk being cluttered. Possibly a single speaker on the right side of the desk? Any suggestions from you experts would be great, thanks

I don't think that adding two speakers to your desk will make it the least bit cluttered.

I like to put my speakers at opposite ends of the desk, angled toward the spot where I generally sit. I have no idea if that's optimal positioning, but it tends to sound better to me.

HunterReed2

macrumors newbie
Jun 8, 2014
W yeah I have some Audioengine AP4Ns in bamboo that I used to have on my old desk but with my new apartment I moved them out with the record player so looking for something for the times I am at my desk. I just ordered a set and going to demo them out. My dad has a set of the Bowers and Wilkins MM-1 speakers but doubt he will give those up...

=w=

macrumors 6502a
Aug 11, 2012
W yeah I have some Audioengine AP4Ns in bamboo that I used to have on my old desk but with my new apartment I moved them out with the record player so looking for something for the times I am at my desk. I just ordered a set and going to demo them out. My dad has a set of the Bowers and Wilkins MM-1 speakers but doubt he will give those up...

You ordered a set of the Swans? I thought they are pretty hard to find new, without having to wait months.

I really like the look of the B&W MM-1's, but $500 is a lot more than I'd want to spend on computer speakers. If they were around $300, I'd probably buy a pair.

HunterReed2

macrumors newbie
Jun 8, 2014
Found a pair online that were still in box, they should be here soon.

And yeah I saw a pair on Amazon refurbed for $300 a few weeks ago but they got snapped up within a day or two I think haha.

aawil

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2008
I really like the look of the B&W MM-1's, but $500 is a lot more than I'd want to spend on computer speakers. If they were around $300, I'd probably buy a pair.

On B&W site you can get the mm-1's for 399 recertified with a 2 year warranty. I got mine at the apple store but the prices for refurbs aren't bad given the full warranty.

snebes

macrumors 6502a
Apr 20, 2008
You ordered a set of the Swans? I thought they are pretty hard to find new, without having to wait months.

There appears to be quite a few sellers on Amazon with stock, including a few reputable ones (beach audio, computerbrain), under $100. http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B00CPEKLHG

Obviously, ignore the picture on the main listing--something is wrong there.

LNYMRKO

macrumors regular
Nov 8, 2010
I'm horrible at taking photos, but you get the idea! My beloved 2010 17" MBP finally died the other week and it was more expensive to repair than it was worth.. but it all worked out, and at least I can still use the 27" ACD!

Attachments

• a.JPG
    a.JPG
    342.6 KB · Views: 267
  • b.JPG
    b.JPG
    217.4 KB · Views: 271
  • c.JPG
    c.JPG
    357.7 KB · Views: 259
  • Screen Shot 2014-07-26 at 3.53.23 pm.png
    Screen Shot 2014-07-26 at 3.53.23 pm.png
    98.9 KB · Views: 213

Psychopulse

macrumors regular
Dec 26, 2005
London, UK
So… I sold the retina Macbook Pro & Thunderbolt Display combo and bought a 27" iMac with a 3TB Fusion drive, 32GB of RAM and 2GB graphic card. It's a freaking beast! :D

G2A8931.jpg

G2A8915.jpg

G2A8925.jpg

G2A8927.jpg

=w=

macrumors 6502a
Aug 11, 2012

There appears to be quite a few sellers on Amazon with stock, including a few reputable ones (beach audio, computerbrain), under $100. http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B00CPEKLHG

Obviously, ignore the picture on the main listing--something is wrong there.

Ahh, I haven't looked for them in quite a while, because I purchased them probably about a year ago. It figures that once I get them, they are easier to find, though, haha

On B&W site you can get the mm-1's for 399 recertified with a 2 year warranty. I got mine at the apple store but the prices for refurbs aren't bad given the full warranty.

$100 off isn't too bad, but still not enough to sway me :p

I feel like $300 would be pushing it, but i'd cave. Are they really worth it though?

Psychopulse

macrumors regular
Dec 26, 2005
London, UK
I've thought about going with an iMac. Do you miss having a laptop for portability?? I have a MBP now but never take it anywhere.

I realised my macbook was on the desk all the time and left the house only once…
I have an iPad and it's more than enough when I need something portable.
I made a list of all the reasons why I should change the laptop + external display combo for an iMac, maybe it will help you as well:

1. 250gb of storage vs 3TB of fusion drive - macbook's drive was constantly full and it became really annoying when I wanted to keep some files on the computer, like iTunes library, more photos, etc. I take a lot of pictures and they take a lot of space when in raw format, and then later even more as photoshop files.

2. 16GB vs 32GB of ram - although macbook pro is really fast, iMac is blazing
fast.

3. 1GB vs 2GB graphics - I play a lot in Batman Arkham games and had to turn down most of the graphic settings when on macbook - now have everything at MAX :)

4. Faster processor

5. For the past 8 months I was working on photos and design, 10, 12 hours a day and with the Thunderbolt Display I had to cover the window with a paper background so I wouldn't have any reflections on the screen, now I don't need to do anything, iMac's screen has almost no reflections.

I sold the display for £600 and macbook for £1000 and bought a second hand iMac on the very same day for £1550 :) I used gumtree to do that.

Hope that helps!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.