Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dull2222

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 24, 2014
I bought my router about three years ago. Right now I have WEP network,but it seems to be hacked eaisly. Could I update my network to WPA2 without replacing? I find an answer, it said"If you don't want to replace your router,you can create another wireless network with My WIFI Router software.It would turn your laptop with cables into ad hoc or WPA2 encryption network just with a click." Is it possible?

irnchriz

macrumors 65816
May 2, 2005
Scotland
I bought my router about three years ago. Right now I have WEP network,but it seems to be hacked eaisly. Could I update my network to WPA2 without replacing? I find an answer, it said"If you don't want to replace your router,you can create another wireless network with My WIFI Router software.It would turn your laptop with cables into ad hoc or WPA2 encryption network just with a click." Is it possible?

Depends on the chipset in the router but it would be unlikely to support wpa if it shipped with only wep.

Last edited:

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009

Exactly which router is it? This isn't a question with a generic answer.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Depends on the chipset in the router but it would be unlikely to support wpa if it shipped with only wep.
Router is just three years old. I've got routers older than that with WPA2. Heck, from memory, even my WRT54G (10 years old, I think?) supports WPA. It's possible it just uses WEP by default for compatibility with older devices.

As mentioned, OP needs to give us the router model before we can help.

irnchriz

macrumors 65816
May 2, 2005
Scotland
Router is just three years old. I've got routers older than that with WPA2. Heck, from memory, even my WRT54G (10 years old, I think?) supports WPA. It's possible it just uses WEP by default for compatibility with older devices.

As mentioned, OP needs to give us the router model before we can help.

erm, well duh. again depends on the router and the chipset it has, as I said. :confused:

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
erm, well duh. again depends on the router and the chipset it has, as I said. :confused:
But it's not really dependent on chipset. More like firmware. Apparently, even my decade old WRT54G supports WPA2 (running Tomato).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.