Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

charlesbronsen

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2008
Toronto, Ont
I'm watching 1955 The Night Of The Hunter (again)...a truly remarkable film. The only film directed by Charles Laughton...a shame because it is a remarkable piece of direction. Cinematography is exceptional, Robert Mitchum's performance is at it's creepiest...without over playing.

A truly notable, must see film.

Checked this out last night after reading this post and I'm glad I did. Thank you! I love the feel of older films. Need more old gems please:eek:

Watched "Written On The Wind' again the other week.
writtenonthewind.jpg

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
Checked this out last night after reading this post and I'm glad I did. Thank you! I love the feel of older films. Need more old gems please:eek:

Oh, my...was that a mistake. I'll chew your (figurative) ear off with old films. My love is for films of the 30s, 40, and early 50s....and in black and white.

Here are just a few...

Citizen Kane...arguably the best American film ever.
The Third Man...A close second...if second at all.
The Maltese Falcon
Little Caesar
The Asphalt Jungle
Casablanca

Just a few of dozens I might recommend. Take a look...these are all brilliant films of somewhat different genres, imo.

When you've had a chance to view them, I'll be more than happy to make more recommendations, if you wish.:D

millerj123

macrumors 68030
Mar 6, 2008
I'm not sure what I was thinking, but I put Vampire Academy in my movie queue, and when it arrived, I watched it.

I am not the target demographic, and I kept waiting for it to "get good". All the way to the end. In my mind, it never did. It was passable, teen-aged vampires at school melancholy blah. I don't recall the last time I was in the mood for that. I'm pretty sure I won't read the books the movie was based on.

vulcanvillalta

macrumors 6502
May 19, 2014
Not entirely sure WHY i watched it, but last night I watched "World War Z". I was surprised and very pleased. I went into it not knowing that it was about Zombies, and I'm glad I did so. It had a War of the Worlds feel to it, and Brad Pitt did an excellent job. Probably the best representation of zombies that I've encountered so far.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit

Watched "Written On The Wind' again the other week.

I, too, have an affinity for the classic films of that era. The evidence being this thread littered with all of them that I watch.

charlesbronsen

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2008
Toronto, Ont
Oh, my...was that a mistake. I'll chew your (figurative) ear off with old films. My love is for films of the 30s, 40, and early 50s....and in black and white.

Here are just a few...

The Maltese Falcon
Little Caesar
The Asphalt Jungle
Casablanca

Just a few of dozens I might recommend. Take a look...these are all brilliant films of somewhat different genres, imo.

When you've had a chance to view them, I'll be more than happy to make more recommendations, if you wish.:D

Thanks a bunch for the quick reply. I'm going to watch the top two you suggested this weekend along with "Seconds" which looks interesting. The cover art for these older films are just ace too, even the music gives a great vibe. To me they are real "Cinema" which seems to be lacking these days. Thanks again

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
Thanks a bunch for the quick reply. I'm going to watch the top two you suggested this weekend along with "Seconds" which looks interesting. The cover art for these older films are just ace too, even the music gives a great vibe. To me they are real "Cinema" which seems to be lacking these days. Thanks again

My pleasure!:D

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.

Here are just a few...

The Maltese Falcon
Little Caesar
The Asphalt Jungle
Casablanca

Bless you, Shrink. What a wonderful selection..

I agree completely (and I am a grumpy, irascible, intolerant, intellectually snobbish, old world European) about the cinematic brilliance of both of Shrink's top two choices. Both "Citizen Kane", and "The Third Man" are simply superb, stunning examples of the magisterial power of story telling on film at its sublime best. Both are first rate movies: I will advise anyone who wishes to see movie making at its creative sublime, brilliant, best, - ever - to watch either movie, and swoon in stunned, and silenced, awestruck admiration.

Some years ago (alright, what I now realise is actually a few decades ago) I watched a series of what were called of'seminal' movies in the university art house cinema club; several classics: (This selection included "Nosferatu", "Citizen Kane", and "Wild Strawberries" among others) An incredibly interesting, and thought-provoking season of fascinating movies.

Anyway, I loved "The Maltese Falcon"- a superb and fantastically brilliant homage to a specific US narrative style; 'Casablanca' was a movie where everything came right, timing, cast, setting, story, (and, of course, cinematography, lighting, script, direction, etc) which helped to cement its reputation as a classic.

Last edited:

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
Any place but here or there....

House by the Cemetery. I always wondered why I never watched any Lucio Fulci horror films after The Beyond*. This one was pretty bad - bad as in I'd like my 85 minutes back please.

* Murder Rock doesn't count imo, since that was a cheesy, fun giallo rather than the horror gross-fests Fulci was known for at the time.

twietee

macrumors 603
Jan 24, 2012
House by the Cemetery. I always wondered why I never watched any Lucio Fulci horror films after The Beyond*. This one was pretty bad - bad as in I'd like my 85 minutes back please.

* Murder Rock doesn't count imo, since that was a cheesy, fun giallo rather than the horror gross-fests Fulci was known for at the time.

Haha, that bad!? :) I thought it quite nasty tbh, my very first Fulci so maybe that's the reason I enjoyed it quite a bit - especially the ending left some scars! The English dub is mostly unbearable (thatannoying kid !) but the Italian one is fine.

No idea, not my favorite by any means but would watch it again some day. But I'm know for having a bad taste. :D

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
True Lies.

Probably my favourite Arnie film. Such a clever idea for a film and gets the balance between comedy and action right which a lot of films don't quite manage.

Mine too, his most polished performance, although Predator was pretty darn good too. :D

National Treasure- Really like this movie, the entire ensemble cast, light hearted, with enough realism intertwined with history to make this caper seem plausible. Of note, I was disappointed in the second movie, Book of Secrets which seemed too stretched using the same formula. Supposedly, a third installment is in work.

The most interesting filming location trivia- Utah stood in for the Arctic, and the Independence Hall replica, Knots Berry Farm, California, stood in for the real location.

Last edited:

firedept

macrumors 603
Jul 8, 2011
Somewhere!
Bad Words. Jason Bateman was a scream in this movie. A spelling bee loser sets out to exact revenge by finding a loophole and attempting to win as an adult. Watched it with my 2 teenage sons and wife. We were just laughing our a$$e$ off.

I could understand why people did not like it. You need a twisted sense of humor to get through it.

Attachments

• 0047040photo.jpg
    0047040photo.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 67

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
After Earth (2013)- offers little if anything. The story felt empty, nor did I care for Will or Jayden Smith in this, did not finish it. M. Night Shyamalan has seen better days as a director. Since Signs which I like, my impression it has been all down hill.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
After Earth (2013)- offers little if anything. The story felt empty, nor did I care for Will or Jayden Smith in this, did not finish it. M. Night Shyamalan has seen better days as a director. Since Signs which I like, my impression it has been all down hill.

That's unfortunete as I thought, from the trailer I recall, that it had a good premise anyway.

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
National Treasure- Really like this movie, the entire ensemble cast, light hearted, with enough realism intertwined with history to make this caper seem plausible. Of note, I was disappointed in the second movie, Book of Secrets which seemed too stretched using the same formula. Supposedly, a third installment is in work.

The most interesting filming location trivia- Utah stood in for the Arctic, and the Independence Hall replica, Knots Berry Farm, California, stood in for the real location.

I loved National Treasure and didn't particularly care for Book of Secrets as well. Thanks for the location trivia.:D

After Earth (2013)- offers little if anything. The story felt empty, nor did I care for Will or Jayden Smith in this, did not finish it.

Completely agree with this as well. I think I got it from Redbox, and thankfully didn't pay $10 to see it in the theater.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Valley of the Dragons (1961)
Algeria 1881. Two men, Michael Denning and Hector Servadac are having a duel with one another when a comet goes past the earth at low altitude. The strong wind this creates transports the two men to the moon. They find themselves in a jungle inhabited by reptiles and prehistoric humans. They have a difficult time before they manage to adapt to the dangers, but eventually they each find a girl to spend time with, awaiting the next return of the comet to take them back to Earth.

Attachments

• Screen capture 1.png
    Screen capture 1.png
    162.4 KB · Views: 149

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
Any place but here or there....
Haha, that bad!? :) I thought it quite nasty tbh, my very first Fulci so maybe that's the reason I enjoyed it quite a bit - especially the ending left some scars! The English dub is mostly unbearable (thatannoying kid !) but the Italian one is fine.

No idea, not my favorite by any means but would watch it again some day. But I'm know for having a bad taste. :D

Awww...as am I. :D

My imagination came up with a much more typical tweak for Freudenstein (he was killing women to build his own) rather than Oh he needs human flesh to survive. I thought with Freudenstein, he would definitely be more of a Frankenstein like mad scientist and more sex inclined. I haven't heard the Italian dub. I can relate. A few Italian films suffer from the awful english dub. Tenebre and What Have You Done To Solange? are even better in Italian and Enzo Castellari's The Big Racket really suffers from the English dub, it's a great vigilante film - very ugly but it loses a lot with the English dub.

Watched The Beyond again this morning. The ending is wonderfully messed up, getting there is a bit of chore, but pretty good. Of the Fulci zombie films, City of the Living Dead (a.k.a. The Gates of Hell) is the one sticks with me. I prefer the man's gialli. Don't Torture a Duckling and A Lizard in a Woman's Skin are fantastic.

Also watched Keoma for the first time in a long while. I dig this western, but can't stand the awful folkie score that eventually plays in every single scene. My solution, turn off the sound and watch silently, a wonderful thing.

Last edited:

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.

A classic Victorian rollicking adventure; I must confess to a secret liking for that sort of story-telling, clichéd though much of it may now seem.

Another rollicking Victorian book from that era which I really enjoyed was 'The Four Feathers', and the 1939 movie based on the book was excellent (and a lot better than the number of remakes which were subsequently produced).

Anyway, how have you enjoyed the movie?

Last edited:

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
A classic Victorian rollicking adventure; I must confess to a secret liking for that sort of story-telling, clichéd though much of it may now seem.

Another rollicking Victorian book from that era which I really enjoyed was 'The Four Feathers', and the 1939 movie based on the book was excellent (and a lot better than the number of remakes which were subsequently produced).

Anyway, how have you enjoyed the movie?

It was quite good. The tension between Allan and Elizabeth throughout was interesting. Especially with him constantly having to 'save' her from all the dangers along the journey.

Though it seemed to end abruptly with the one African regaining his kingdom in the battle. We are left to assume that they found where Curtis ended up in quest, but there was no confirmation, other than seeing the uncut diamonds in the natives headdresses.

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL

If you want hard sci-fi nicely blended with action (kind of what AE was trying - unsuccessfully - to do), the current TC film Edge of Tomorrow is fantastic (still playing in theaters).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.