Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Jul 25, 2014, 07:58 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Apple Acquired 'Pandora for Books' Startup BookLamp In April

Apple has acquired BookLamp, a "Pandora for books" startup that aimed to provide personalized book recommendations to readers via specialized algorithms, reports TechCrunch. BookLamp first shut down in April.

BookLamp was known for its Book Genome project, a book discovery engine that analyzed the text of books to break them down by various themes and variables to let readers search for books similar to books they liked.

For example, analyzing The Da Vinci Code, the search engine would break it down to elements of 18.6% Religion and Religions Institutions, 9.4% Police & Murder Investigation, 8.2% Art and Art Galleries, and 6.7% Secret Societies and Communities, and then it would be able to recommend a book similar to The Da Vinci Code based on that data.

BookLamp screenshot via Mashable
This type of analytics service could be directly used to improve recommendations and search in iBooks, and as noted by TechCrunch, BookLamp's technology could be used to create a competitor to Amazon X-Ray, which lets readers see where in the book certain terms or characters appear.

BookLamp also provided content analysis services to a number of e-book distributors like Amazon, Apple, and other publishers, screening books for categorization and providing a platform for publishers to screen manuscripts. The acquisition will see Apple ramping up its focus on books, according to one source with knowledge of the acquisition.
Quote:
Part of the reason that Apple made the move to acquire BookLamp was because of this long list of clients. "At first Apple and BookLamp talked about growing their contract, but then they talked more from a strategic standpoint," a source says. "What Apple wanted to do was, instead of contract, they wanted to make sure whatever work was done was done just for them."

And what is that work? The details are not clear yet, but the source says, "in broad strokes, the goal that [founder Aaron] Stanton and three of the folks he was working with from the original BookLamp crew is to beat Amazon at their own game."
BookLamp was purchased for a sum between $10 million and $15 million and while Apple has yet to confirm the purchase, a large amount evidence gathered by TechCrunch suggests several former BookLamp employees have relocated to Cupertino and are now working for Apple.

Update 6:30 PM PT: Apple has confirmed the purchase of BookLamp, giving Re/code its standard statement on purchases: "Apple buys smaller technology companies from time to time, and we generally do not discuss our purpose or plans."

Article Link: Apple Acquired 'Pandora for Books' Startup BookLamp In April
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2014, 07:59 PM   #2
farewelwilliams
macrumors regular

*reads about Color Theory*
"Up Next: 50 Shades of Grey"

Last edited by farewelwilliams; Jul 25, 2014 at 08:14 PM.
farewelwilliams is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2014, 07:59 PM   #3
troop231
macrumors 601

Scared me for a second, am I the only one who initially thought it said: "Apple acquires Pandora..."
troop231 is offline   11 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2014, 08:00 PM   #4
Worf
macrumors regular

Pretty cool startup actually. Hope Apple implements them well into iBooks
How to decide whether to buy into Android or iOS - Here
Worf is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2014, 08:02 PM   #5
Branskins
macrumors 6502a

Seems like a very good idea. I love using iBooks so anything that makes it even better would be great!
Branskins is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2014, 08:17 PM   #6
goobot
macrumors 601

Is there a chart that shows percentages of each online store's control over the ebook market? I would like to see how apple stands up to the others out there.
Old Jul 25, 2014, 08:19 PM   #7
kas23
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worf View Post
Yes, it was. Also looks like Apple was quick to shut it down too. And looking at the fruits of Apple's purchases over the last few years, I doubt we'll reap the benefits of this service anytime soon.
kas23 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2014, 08:52 PM   #8
RedOrchestra
macrumors 6502

I don't need iBooks recommending books to me I need Apple to cut a deal with the publishers so that I can cut and paste from books into research papers.

This purchase looks pretty useless to me.
RedOrchestra is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2014, 09:13 PM   #9
lowercaseperson
macrumors member

As an avid Audible subscriber - I am curious as to how much profit there is in written word. I'm also in grad school, so I know how much books cost, but when I do any "reading" outside of school it's in my car or while I mow the lawn using audible.
lowercaseperson is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2014, 09:20 PM   #10
Chatter
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedOrchestra View Post
I don't need iBooks recommending books to me I need Apple to cut a deal with the publishers so that I can cut and paste from books into research papers.

This purchase looks pretty useless to me.
Then they are no longer research papers. Looks pretty useless to me.
Chatter is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2014, 09:26 PM   #11
4jasontv
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRumors View Post
This type of analytics service could be directly used to improve recommendations and search in iBooks, and as noted by TechCrunch, BookLamp's technology could be used to create a competitor to Amazon X-Ray, which lets readers see where in the book certain terms or characters appear.
I sure hope the USPTO approves my application for Command-F.
4jasontv is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2014, 09:47 PM   #12
aaronvan
macrumors 6502a

Cool! Can Apple integrate with iBooks, I wonder?
Old Jul 25, 2014, 10:14 PM   #13
mainstreetmark
macrumors 68020

So, Apple can recommend Huey Lewis and the News after about 5 books now? What if they don't have a book?
Old Jul 25, 2014, 10:52 PM   #14
TsMkLg068426
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by troop231 View Post
Scared me for a second, am I the only one who initially thought it said: "Apple acquires Pandora..."

Same here and if that really happened: OH MY. All there would be left is Spotify and Amazon Prime Music the big timers at the moment.
Old Jul 25, 2014, 11:34 PM   #15
Traverse
macrumors 68020

Seems like an interesting acquisition, but at a glance I thought it was "Apple acquires Pandora...".
I was about to say...that will help iTunes Radio.

I'm glad Apple is trying to compete on these fronts. I don't know how iBooks compares to Amazon or Google books (I would assume its much smaller), but good to see them working on it.

Between Apple Maps, iBooks, iTunes, etc it seems like they are trying to become completely self sufficient, which has its advantages to be sure, but economies grow with specialization of labor. Apple needs to embrace experts and not try to BE the expert at everything.
Traverse is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2014, 11:59 PM   #16
PocketSand11
macrumors 6502a

"Apple buys smaller technology companies from time to time, and we generally do not discuss our purpose or plans." Isn't that the phrase everyone here keeps quoting, like the legendary "Safari feels snappier"?
Fun fact: iPhone 5 aspect ratio = 640/1136 ≈ .5634. 9/16 = .5625. 639/1136 = .5625. Its screen is exactly one pixel too wide to be 9:16.
PocketSand11 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2014, 12:03 AM   #17
iChrist
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worf View Post

Would integrate perfectly with iBooks, if it also has an algorithm for fixing prices at $9.99.

Old Jul 26, 2014, 12:24 AM   #18
Ent
macrumors regular

Am I the only one who thought that was a pop-up on MR and tried closing it?
Ent is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2014, 01:09 AM   #19
thekev
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by troop231 View Post
That may not have been so bad. I don't know how Pandora will do on their own over the longer term, in spite of being exceptionally cool. What I like is that it gets you to listen to different things more than spotify.
Old Jul 26, 2014, 07:10 AM   #20
RedOrchestra
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatter View Post
Then they are no longer research papers. Looks pretty useless to me.
It's pretty hard for the grade-schoolers, on MR, to understand the need.
RedOrchestra is online now   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2014, 07:36 AM   #21
fbronze
macrumors member

Does anyone actually use iBooks? I've been kept asking this question for years now, but I'm keep coming back to Amazon Kindle App.
fbronze is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2014, 07:42 AM   #22
CrazyForApple
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to CrazyForApple
Hopefully this will be implemented into iBooks soon
CrazyForApple is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2014, 08:02 AM   #23
Bibbler
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedOrchestra View Post
It's pretty hard for the grade-schoolers, on MR, to understand the need.
Correct. Most of the users here don't even know what a "research paper" is.
Old Jul 26, 2014, 09:36 AM   #24
Firelock
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowercaseperson View Post
As an avid Audible subscriber - I am curious as to how much profit there is in written word. I'm also in grad school, so I know how much books cost, but when I do any "reading" outside of school it's in my car or while I mow the lawn using audible.
I like audio books but I must say that I find it odd that a graduate student can't see the value of the printed word. For one thing most audiobooks are abridged. Are you not curious about what is missing? Many books have maps, charts, illustrations, photos and other visual data that doesn't translate to audio at all. I often pause and ruminate over particular passages in printed books, contemplating either the beauty of the prose or the underlying meaning. With audiobooks this is impossible as the narration barrels ahead. Anyway, since you are budding academic I would ask that you consider these points.
Firelock is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2014, 11:52 AM   #25
powerstrokin
Banned

Interesting concept. I wonder how/if this will play out in regards to analyzing what people post online to determine their thought patterns and intent. They ARE working on that...you know.. for our 'safety'.
powerstrokin is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion