Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bnmcj1

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 13, 2014
This is a perspective I wanted to make for those who want to try android or have tried many times. This is a conclusion for me - at least for now.

Firstly, I have owned and tried a lot of Android phones: GS3, GS4, Moto G, HTC One M7, Note 3 and Nexus 5. In the meantime I also had iPhone 4, 5 and 5s.

There is just one perspective plus a couple of reasons why I just can't have another Android phone (that does not rule out that I may try some).

See. The Samsung GS3 and GS4 were very popular and sold very well. GS3 was out when iPhone 5 came. If I put this into perspective and ask: if I had to choose one of these phones now, which one would be usable and nice to own today. I must say that I would prefer iPhone 5 a thousand times. Not at the moment I bought the GS3 or GS4. They where new, big and fun. But could I own them now? Never. I would even rather have an iPhone 4s than those. GS3 and 4 just does not run as well and the value just drops so much. They would be bought by mistake - and was.

Other reasons? Simply iMessage, continuity and AirPlay. While the screen is smaller for now, I just can't get a better overall experience and long term usability/value.

So, if you share some of the same thoughts and have the same answers, then don't buy an Android phone. Just dont. I certainly cannot recommend having two high end phones either. One will be collecting dust and get dated. Just too much of the good!

Lloydbm41

Suspended
Oct 17, 2013
Central California
Other reasons? Simply iMessage, continuity and AirPlay. While the screen is smaller for now, I just can't get a better overall experience and long term usability/value.

I counter with:
Hangouts, agnostic continuity and mirroring via dlna/miracast/chromecast.

Better overall experience is subjective, but the reasons you gave here are nothing special, nor are they features exclusively found on iDevices (as you see from my counter points.)

tech4all

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2004
NorCal
Cool_story_bro_tell_it_again.jpg

Now here's my story...

...I have no reason to use iOS/iPhone since Android already does what iOS is going to do.

MagicBoy

macrumors 68040
May 28, 2006
Manchester, UK
Point is it must have cost a bloody fortune!

I bought an iPhone 4. It still works 4 years later, seen no need to update it.

The End.

Ddyracer

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2009
Point is it must have cost a bloody fortune!

I bought an iPhone 4. It still works 4 years later, seen no need to update it.

The End.

How well does it run? i.e Framerate, freezes, slow touch response?

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Thats good that the iphone fits your needs better but for me there are hardly any reasons why I would pick an iphone over my note. It has very little advantages. Hopefully apple step their game up with the iphone 6 as they badly need to and I expect they will.

Lloydbm41

Suspended
Oct 17, 2013
Central California
Someone please call me when Hangouts is encrypted end-to-end. Then, I just might consider it a viable alternative to iMessage.

Let us know if this helps in your considerations: https://support.google.com/plus/answer/6046115?hl=en&ref_topic=3008153

All signals, like messages, are encrypted over an HTTPS connection with 128-bit encryption, using TLS 1.2. The connection is encrypted and authenticated using AES_128_GCM. The key exchange mechanism is ECDHE_ECDSA.
BTW, Apple uses the same AES 128.

Last edited:

Lloydbm41

Suspended
Oct 17, 2013
Central California
HTTPS ≠ end-to-end encryption. Not even close.
HTTPS ≠ sms. The handshake is not the same thing as the encrypted route.

Not sure where you are going with that?

That said, Apple provides 2 keys for each imessage. one key is private for the users device and one is public for the server side. Apple doesn't see the private key, which is why every iDevice has one. However, this does not prevent Apple from adding a 3rd encryption key into the p2p text and that 3rd key is used to intercept and reroute a copy of the text to another server.
Got news for ya. iMessage is not as complete end-to-end secure as you want to believe. But then again, nothing really is. Anything can get hacked. And any imessage can be intercepted by Apple and given away (which they do, and have done, when ordered to do so).

Jibbajabba

macrumors 65816
Aug 13, 2011
Coming to the non Apple forum to say you prefer iPhone. The point is?

----------

Someone please call me when Hangouts is encrypted end-to-end. Then, I just might consider it a viable alternative to iMessage.

Because every hacker in the world just cannot wait to read your to secret 'what's for dinner' messages.

I love when people are concerned about security but at the same time posting their life on Facebook, their resume on LinkedIn and agree with Apple"s T&C saying that all your data are belong to us.(see what I did there)

Savor

Suspended
Jun 18, 2010
OP should at least attempt to make valid points instead of just iMessages, continuity, and AirPlay. Also don't just single out the Samsungs.

I don't mind owning two high-end devices. Neither are collecting dust. Both Androids and both compliment each other very well. Where I live, you generally need two sims and a backup in case of snatchers. I might throw in a 3rd Android device for water-resistance. I am selling my iPhone 5s because I also sold my laptop. Everything is saved on my Androids and will now communicate and exchange files via Bluetooth transfer or NFC. I also have usb memory sticks as another backup.

bnmcj1

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 13, 2014
Well. Look at my past threads. I am not a fanboy. Actually I hope to see something better every time I try to switch. My point with this thread was to get people in the same boat consider the same things and save some money. Think about it. A GS3 phone now. With the standard touchwiz. Compared to iPhone 5 that phone is just.. Nothing. But at the time you were blinded by the "new" and needed to try it. Same thing could be said about a GS5 now and then in a year and a half forward. What would you rather own there? Not getting updates fast? I can just say iPhone every time. But I wished I could say Android and was not locked in. To me, the experience is just inferior overall.

Nexus 5 was better, but lacked ecosystem, battery and speaker/phone quality.

----------

I counter with:
Hangouts, agnostic continuity and mirroring via dlna/miracast/chromecast.

Better overall experience is subjective, but the reasons you gave here are nothing special, nor are they features exclusively found on iDevices (as you see from my counter points.)

Chromecast? Hell no. What about serious audio from optical to a DAC? Cant compete with Apple tv in user experience IMO. I have a Libratone Zipp and android only works with DLNA. AirPlay also delivers better audio quality. Lossless, that is.

Hangouts? A confusing disaster mixing up contacts and not merging them in a correct way.

This is not about features being exclusive on Apple. It is about features implemented thougtfully and well. I could never use any of the things you mention before they are as good as Apple's. They just aren't from technical facts.

Last edited:

gotluck

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2011
East Central Florida
Continuity is chasing me away from ios. I can't use a Mac at work and need cross platform support, which android is better at offering via pushbullet currently

Not sure why you are hating on Chromecast audio quality? Android can also cast to apple TV fwiw

I value the ability to have constant root access instantly after every update over Imessage but that is a preference.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.