Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Yebubbleman

macrumors 603
May 20, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
You must have been one of the few who thought there would be an update last fall :D. If you look back through my postings before last fall, I claimed that there would be no Touch design update in fall 2013, almost everyone agreed with me, and there was no design update.

1. I actually had no idea what to expect last fall. Similarly, I don't know what to expect this fall; but I do expect that the iPod line will go from four products (Shuffle, Nano, Classic, Touch) down to three or even two and then eventually down to a singular iPod before vanishing altogether, and I expect that to happen sooner rather than later. More specific than that, I can't predict.

2. I don't take stock in what the general consensus of the forum posters on this site say as most of them don't pay attention to trends and easily confuse what they want Apple to do for what they think Apple will do. Similarly, even then, of the few that don't do this, there is still enough that take one or two key events in Apple's recent history as unchangeable gospel (when it ends up being defied by them later anyway).

You are only looking at the Touch percentage and not how much money that percentage actually is. I can't see Apple abandoning all that revenue by canceling the Touch.

Right because obviously those customers haven't given thought to buying an iPhone on contract. $0 for the 4S is stupid, but $100 for a 5C (which is superior to the 5th gen iPod touch in nearly every way) for 16GB or, hell, $200 for a 32GB 5C at $100 less than a 32GB fifth generation iPod touch? Now sure, that doesn't factor those paying full price for their iPhone, but in how many places is this overly common? Judging from their sales figures, I'd guess it's not all that common.

mangomind

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2012
Now sure, that doesn't factor those paying full price for their iPhone, but in how many places is this overly common?

Those who pay a reduced, 'subsidized' price up front are locked into a 2-year contract of monthly fees that include calling, texting, cellular data, the remainder of the phone cost, and carrier profits.

HarryWild

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2012
Hope they just enlarge the size to maybe 4.5" but keep the look of the 5th generation itouch. I think the A7 is going in it! iPhone 6 will get the A8 and the 5.5" will get the A8S SoC! Hope they go with 2MB of RAM but Apple is frugal on the RAM as always so it will be half of that - so it will be a little bit slower and might not play some future games.

I hope for a release in June/July!

Yebubbleman

macrumors 603
May 20, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
Those who pay a reduced, 'subsidized' price up front are locked into a 2-year contract of monthly fees that include calling, texting, cellular data, the remainder of the phone cost, and carrier profits.

Yes because if you are to use ANY phone on ANY carrier, you are paying monthly fees that include calling, texting, and cellular data. Furthermore:

1. I'm pretty sure that in a normal two-year agreement, you are not paying the rest of the value of the phone (over someone who has the same phone and is paying for the same services over the same length of time but not on a contract).

2. How is that relevant to the text you are quoting? I was asking how common out-of-contract iPhone purchases are.

loon3y

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2011
I'm not sure what the difference is but I have never heard anyone with an IPT 5 say they have issues running IOS 7 on it.

there are no issues running iOS7,

but if apps aren't optimized they lag and crash

Lesser Evets

macrumors 68040
Jan 7, 2006
Hope they just enlarge the size to maybe 4.5" but keep the look of the 5th generation itouch.

I hope for a release in June/July!

They will either retain the old size and design or make it the same screen size as the new iPhone. If they update this year.

June is almost gone, July will probably pass without an event from Apple.

Expect Sept/Oct or next year.

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
Really?

I found it a laggy experience, probably due to the 2011 internals.

I'm not sure why. If you check the forums here, you will see that only a few people have complained about the Touch 5 having lag. I found that the 2011 internals are not an issue for me running IOS7.1 and that the Touch 5 runs very well. IOS8 will probably not run as well though.

loon3y

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2011
Really?

I found it a laggy experience, probably due to the 2011 internals.

its running an outdated processor, i believe its the same as an iPad 2.

our company went through some trouble trying to optimize it for it. it wasn't the 512 MB of ram, it was the processor that was the bottle neck.

but all the 'fortune 500' apps per say work fine. net flux, youtube, the browser.

but as time goes by, it does just get generally slow for whatever reason.

it can be a multitude of things, just like how my macbook 2010 is laggy as hell, but another macbook 2010 with the same specifications, running the same apps is much more optimized.

it can be anything. but generally a brand new iPod Touch 5th gen doenst have any problems.

exizeo

macrumors regular
Mar 23, 2014
The iPhone IS a 3g/4g iPod.

No way in hell you'll get 4G data for free. You're going to have to pay monthly. Like the iPhone.

Also, iPod LTE sales will eat into iPhone sales. So...

ourmountain

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2012
You don't have to pay any monthly fees for an iPhone.

You do if you want 3G/4G service, texting, and voice.

Further, entry price on a Touch is $150 for the cameraless version on the refurb store. A brand new 64GB Touch is $299. A 64GB refurb touch is only $239.

By comparison, a current iPhone has no refurb option. A 5C is $550 for 16GB. A 5S is $650 for 16GB. A 5S in 64GB takes it up to $850.

People keep saying to go buy an iPhone and use it without a contract, and that's kind of asinine. You're putting out a lot of money for a device, and paying for features you don't need or want. Paying $550 more for a 64GB 5S than a 64GB touch is insane if you aren't going to be using it as a phone. Even if you've got money to waste, that's still a foolish purchase when you can get a device that will handle anything you throw at it for so much less.

If you don't want the payment and don't need the phone features, there's absolutely no reason to buy an iPhone over an iPod Touch.

Last edited:

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA

Further, entry price on a Touch is $150 for the cameraless version on the refurb store. A brand new 64GB Touch is $299. A 64GB refurb touch is only $239.

By comparison, a current iPhone has no refurb option. A 5C is $550 for 16GB. A 5S is $650 for 16GB. A 5S in 64GB takes it up to $850.

People keep saying to go buy an iPhone and use it without a contract, and that's kind of asinine. You're putting out a lot of money for a device, and paying for features you don't need or want. Paying $550 more for a 64GB 5S than a 64GB touch is insane if you aren't going to be using it as a phone. Even if you've got money to waste, that's still a foolish purchase when you can get a device that will handle anything you throw at it for so much less.

If you don't want the payment and don't need the phone features, there's absolutely no reason to buy an iPhone over an iPod Touch.

I agree. Buying an comparable iPhone to use as a Touch 5 is very foolish.

Ffosse

macrumors 68000
Nov 5, 2012

Who buys phones with contracts? Very few, at least in my country. Unlimited data/calls/texts are dirt cheap. I've got an iPhone, I need a phone, anyway, and since it performs all the functions of an iPod Touch, there's no need for the latter.

I certainly wouldn't be paying good money for 2011specs in the middle of 2014.

Last edited:

ourmountain

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2012
Who buys phones with contracts? Very few, at least in my country. Unlimited data/calls/texts are dirt cheap. I've got an iPhone, I need a phone, anyway, and since it performs all the functions of an iPod Touch, there's no need for the latter.

You're missing the point entirely. :rolleyes:

me7

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2013

An iPhone is bigger, heavier and more expensive. Buying an iPhone to use it as a music player is irrational. I'd take an iPod touch as an mp3 player over an iPhone any day.

Snydler

macrumors newbie
Jul 23, 2014
Anyone that posts "they should stop making the IPT" is delusional. Not everyone can afford a data plan, including many of the people that do have data plans.

IPT 32Gb, refurb: $200
Crappy flip phone: $35
My current cell plan: $15/month

iPhone anything: "free"
Cheapest plan most of my iPhone friends have: $100/month

Three year cost =
IPT: $875
iPhone: $3600
Difference: $2725!

I admit it's pretty rough not being able to tweet and stare at Facebook constantly, and not hear anything anyone in the real world is saying around me, but somehow I make my way through the hardship.

I'm sure when I am less cheap, data plans are cheaper, and I make I little more cash than I do now I'll have a smart phone with a data plan, but I'm guessing that's a few years off. Until then I'll pretend it's 2007 and be amazed with the technology I have.

-the real Snydler

iolinux333

macrumors 68000
Feb 9, 2014
For the size of this thing, my just purchased refurb iPT5 64GB amazes me. I also have an iP5s and an iP5. They are all set up identically with the same apps. If not for all the incessant bitching and moaning around here about the internals of all the different iDevices, I wouldn't have any idea they had different processors or different amounts of ram. They all seem to run and respond exactly the same to me in everyday real world use.

HarryWild

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2012
For the size of this thing, my just purchased refurb iPT5 64GB amazes me. I also have an iP5s and an iP5. They are all set up identically with the same apps. If not for all the incessant bitching and moaning around here about the internals of all the different iDevices, I wouldn't have any idea they had different processors or different amounts of ram. They all seem to run and respond exactly the same to me in everyday real world use.

That the nice thing about have the same platform. The only difference is when you are playing games and some movies output. 512MB RAM limit hurts performance.

But in general; the 5th iTouch is still good.

HarryWild

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2012
It would have been this fall at the earliest although it will most likely in the spring 2015 due to the large number of products predicted for release this fall.

Otherwise, I agree with you (4.7" A7 1GB RAM).

Looks like it not going be this fall! Might be in the Spring of 2015 or back to the normal release date of Fall 2015.

I just going to think about the iPhone 6 but no hurry; since I using my Lumia Windows Phone 521 for media player and on the go internet device. It much faster then my 4th generation iTouch. I kind of scare to by the 5th since it so close to being release - the 6th generation iTouch. A5, 512MB (over 3 years old tech) vs. A7 1GB. I can wait!

burgundyyears

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2010
iPod is down to 1% of Apple revenue. Wouldn't be surprised to see the entire product line fade away.

My prediction? Next year, the iPod touch is replaced with a 5.5" iPad Nano. You heard it here first. ;)

Crimson24

macrumors newbie
Nov 12, 2013
Pennsylvania
I have a 64GB yellow iPod touch. It served me well since December 2012. But wear took its toll. The gold pins which match the Lightning connector found on the inside are worn and it will only charge if I hold the charger one way. I've put all my data in Dropbox and called it quits :(

I admit I fell for its attractive design and 4 inch Retina display. Now a days, the A5 chip proves laggy while using iOS 7.1.1 and even on a full charge the battery won't last. I can't imagine the horrors of using iOS 8, let alone possibly iOS 9.

Anyway, I do believe there'll be a sixth generation iPod touch this fall. Purported spec list from me:

- 64-bit A7 SoC with M7 coprocessor; 1GB RAM
- 4.7 inch Retina display to match the iPhone 6
- Touch ID

That's about it. The new refresh of the 5G was very tempting to me; get a new 64GB space gray model for just $299! But then I told myself 'NO'. My Verizon contract has been up and once the iPhone 6 rolls around that'll be it for me. Then that bad boy is going into a battery case.

Bottom line: Apple is doing away with iPods. Period. I see a world within 5 years without iPod, just iPhone and iPad in the iOS world.

Before I go, just a reminder: the iPod touch used to be the EQUIVALENT of the iPhone in terms of CPU and speed. Heck, the 2nd gen touch was clocked higher than the iPhone 3G, and the iPod touch 3G (which I also have) could've been updated to iOS 6 along with the iPhone 3GS. Apple started to dupe everything by skimping the A4 on the 4G. The happy ending was ditched completely in 2012 when the 5G and iPhone 5 saw different SoCs. So in a nutshell, the iPod touch is meant to sell rapidly at first, then it crashes and burns. HARD.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.