Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
The biggest strength/threat of United will be the lack of CL football. Moyes for all his faults has handed them a huge advantage by failing to qualify for Europe.

LvG will be able to focus all his £550m worth of resources on a top 4 charge with no European distraction.

Its the same slight advantage Liverpool had last season.

Then again the squad is still lacking which could prove to be an achilles heel. Time will tell.

In other news i'm starting to put West Brom (haven't strengthened) and Southampton (being stripped for parts) down as relegation contenders.

Kariya

macrumors 68000
Nov 3, 2010
Looks like the United team will continue to lack for a while longer

Vidal to United may not happen. Could be good news for LFC who are apparently sniffing.

Last edited:

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
Vidal is the right age for Liverpool but I can't see them matching or bettering Man Utd's rumored £39m/£200k per week offer. The only thing Liverpool can offer this season that Man Utd can't is the Champions League. Liverpool are also linked with Benzema for similar money.

Meanwhile, Andy Carroll is having surgery on a foot problem and will be out for up to four months.

Last edited:

Kariya

macrumors 68000
Nov 3, 2010
Seems no one will ever get what Newcastle got out of Carroll anymore. His best days might be behind him.

takao

macrumors 68040
Dec 25, 2003
Dornbirn (Austria)
Well looks like Austrian 2. League Club St.Pölten managed another miracle(after winning the cup last year): with a 2:0 home victory they made it into the next Euro league qualifying round....Hilarious... Next up might be PSV

SV Grödig managed the next round as well... Not bad for a team who got promoted to 1st league just last year

Also in the weekend the austrian league started and Red Bull Salzburg absolutley trashed Rapid Vienna 6:1
And Rapid was 2nd last year. I hope they go through in the CL qualifying, because Salzburg has some seriously great squad currently

Kariya

macrumors 68000
Nov 3, 2010
Wonder what will happen to Lukaku now. Chelsea now have 4 strikers (even if 2 don't really count). Mou must be desperate to win something this year other than "we beat the champions and Liverpool twice".

Speaking of Mou, he's taunting United on Shaw.

Meanwhile, the Southampton exodus looks set to continue as Calum Chambers is being linked with the Emirates. Nice also confirm Ospina is on his way.

Last edited:

swiftaw

macrumors 603
Jan 31, 2005
Omaha, NE, USA
Are Southampton one of the favorites for relegation now? They've lost at least half of their starting 11 and the exodus probably hasn't finished yet. They haven't signed many replacements yet either.

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
If I recall, Southampton's owner recently died and left the club to his daughter, who wants rid of it. But rather than keep her best players and try to sell it as a successful operation, she seems to be running the club into the ground.

Meanwhile, Adam Lallana adds injury to insult by damaging a knee ligament. He cost more than Kroos....

Last edited:

Kariya

macrumors 68000
Nov 3, 2010
^
Sad for Southampton fans and staff really. But you have to wonder why the owner left it to the daughter knowing how she feels about football.

I fear you may be right.

Half the squad is being gutted for money with no replacements in sight. Might also explain why Pochettino bolted. And why the players are looking over the fence.

Last edited:

Kariya

macrumors 68000
Nov 3, 2010
Is he related to Gonzalo Higuain?

Meanwhile, Remy's move to LFC has collapsed. But Origi a done deal for £10m.

Last edited:

Kariya

macrumors 68000
Nov 3, 2010
Nope. Club linked with Arsenal's Vermaelen, Villa's Vlaar and Dortmund's Hummels.

Vermaelen the most likely of the three. Hummels the least.

Fizzoid

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2008
UK
Are Southampton one of the favorites for relegation now? They've lost at least half of their starting 11 and the exodus probably hasn't finished yet. They haven't signed many replacements yet either.

It's ok, they've still got leading scorer Jay Rodriguez...Well, that is until Liverpool buy him as a replacement for Remy...

Kariya

macrumors 68000
Nov 3, 2010
Chambers completes his move to Arsenal.

Meanwhile, today in doppelgänger.

BtpJVC9IgAEA819.jpg:large

Uncanny.

Last edited:

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
You mentioned G. Gonzalez; he had a good World Cup - also a good fantasy pick.

Most Columbus fans are resigned to see him leave this summer, though I have not heard of any specific concrete offers. Personally, I hope we keep him but he should probably be playing at a higher level than MLS. Alongside Michael Parkhurst he gives Columbus one of the best center back pairings in the league.

twietee

macrumors 603
Jan 24, 2012
Vidal joined ManU! Unbelievable how much money is spent in the PL!

edit: ehm, might be a fluke though :D

Last edited:

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
I see that Liverpool have loaned Origi back to Lille for the season. More strikers to be signed perhaps?

Vidal joined ManU! Unbelievable how much money is spent in the PL!

The post-World Cup transfer deals really show what tremendously poor value English clubs get in the transfer market - they may have access to most of the best players but they pay disgusting amounts of money for them. Spain (outside the top two), Germany and Italy build great teams on far less money in most cases (and those nations also keep producing amazing players).

Vidal is a pretty skillful player though. LvG is going to have a much better squad to work with than poor old Moyes did; arguably a better squad than Ferg did the last couple times he won the league as well.

twietee

macrumors 603
Jan 24, 2012
Well, not sure the Vidal news is legit. But the two statements of mine weren't really connected. Vidal would be exactly the player the need, other than a good CB or two... ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.