Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gotluck

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2011
East Central Florida
i have yet to be asked to enable NFC on my secondary Nexus device to do anything with it after a year of owning it

I'm surprised since you live in Europe. I've used it in USA, but only because I sought it out. I do like it for pairing/ enabling my Bluetooth speaker. It's good for automation stuff. Like swipe NFC tag in car to change settings for more favorable use in car

Last edited:

solipsism

macrumors 6502a
Jan 13, 2008
Those wide bands on the back of the rumored iPhone 6 casings does conform with how NFC works.

Over NFC? How does that work?

Over, as in more excited about 802.11ac than NFC, not 802.11ac being used atop NFC.

Dream bigger.

NFC + iBeacon = Finding your seat in a stadium or a theatre. Using your phone to unlock doors and turn on lights when you pull into your driveway.

Many uses for NFC+iBeacon.

Why would you want NFC to find a seat in a stadium? You'd have to get your phone within a couple inches of the other NFC component for the secure loop to take place. That just isn't feasible for searching for a place to sit. To unlock a door this is more realistic but this won't work when you "pull in the driveway" unless you can do this via a sensor in your car which will then relay that to the home.

kd5jos

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2007
Denver, CO
NFC = Mobile Payments.

Correct. one implementation of NFC includes mobile payments, so how does 802.11ac work OVER mobile payments? Several people are responding to the statement 802.11ac OVER NFC.

----------

Those wide bands on the back of the rumored iPhone 6 casings does conform with how NFC works.

Over, as in more excited about 802.11ac than NFC, not 802.11ac being used atop NFC.

Now it makes sense, thank you.

----------

Dream bigger.

NFC + iBeacon = Finding your seat in a stadium or a theatre. Using your phone to unlock doors and turn on lights when you pull into your driveway.

Many uses for NFC+iBeacon.

Being advertised at while trying to pay attention to the game or the movie...

troop231

macrumors 603
Jan 20, 2010
NFC is a technology that does NOT include 802.11ac in its standard. So I am kinda curious how 802.11ac works OVER NFC. I think that's what several people on this board are asking.

Don't be a smart4$$ I edited my post to say: "instead of NFC" wow

skinned66

macrumors 65816
Feb 11, 2011
Ottawa, Canada
NFC = Mobile Payments.

Yes it definitely goes with other stories recently that Apple is in talks with payment networks and that this will likely happen in September.

The good thing about this is if it does happen their vendor adoption will be very good. I haven't seen anywhere where I live that uses phone NFC radios for payments besides parking meters.

Casiotone

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2008
So, what if the thick antenna bands contained the NFC antennas?

I don't see anywhere else they could put them. They need to be a certain length, so they can't go behind the Apple logo.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
I'm surprised since you live in Europe. I've used it in USA, but only because I sought it out. I do like it for pairing/ enabling my Bluetooth speaker. It's good for automation stuff. Like swipe tag in car to change settings for more favorable use in car

well you cannot even use credit cards in most german stores yet LOL

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
Say whaaat? I thought you guys were all chip and pin & NFC over there. :p

Cash only eh?

We have "EC Cards" that use & pin and are accepted by most stores but unless its a very big international chain like Zara or H&M they dont accept credit cards. barely anyone i know has a credit card unless its a person who travels a lot.

a credit card for germans means = i dont have the money but i still want something so i buy it anyway even though i dont know exactly when i can pay it off lol

it always feels amazing when i go back to spain and can pay with credit cards at a bar or even at mc donalds lol *mind blown*

Dingle

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2005
Am I the only one who's more excited for 802.11ac instead of NFC? :cool:

You are going to notice little to no difference having 802.11ac in your phone. There is nothing you are doing on your phone, that requires the kind of speeds 802.11ac can provide.

NFC has the potential to change your experience on the phone much more than having the capabilities of higher wifi speeds. I think it's great that Apple pushes the wifi standard forward by including these expensive wifi chip into our phones, but ultimately you should be more excited for NFC in my opinion. 802.11ac will be more important to you in the coming years.

solipsism

macrumors 6502a
Jan 13, 2008
You are going to notice little to no difference having 802.11ac in your phone. There is nothing you are doing on your phone, that requires the kind of speeds 802.11ac can provide.

With the way wireless routers work it does mean that when you connect with an 802.11n iPhone your router will not drop your network down to 802.11n, if that was your only device on 802.11n or slower on that network. That's the real benefit for many Mac users.

ValSalva

macrumors 68040
Jun 26, 2009
Burpelson AFB
a new set of photos [Google Translate] shared by Nowhereelse.fr reveal what appears to be the bare logic board of the iPhone 6, likely the 4.7-inch model

Not a surprise that these parts are for the 4.7" iPhone 6.

While the 4.7-inch model is expected to follow this timeline, an even larger 5.5-inch model is said to still be in flux and may not debut until several months later.

Several months later in a parallel universe that is ;)

newagemac

macrumors 68020
Mar 31, 2010
At least you can say you had NFC "first." That's more important than how useful it is to some people. ;)

I'm surprised they haven't made their rounds here yet.

The paid Google shills don't work on weekends. Even trolls need time to spend with their families.

newagemac

macrumors 68020
Mar 31, 2010
NFC is a technology that does NOT include 802.11ac in its standard. So I am kinda curious how 802.11ac works OVER NFC. I think that's what several people on this board are asking.

You read the wrong meaning of "over". They meant 802.11AC is more important than NFC. Like saying I'd choose a laptop over a desktop.

Tanegashima

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2009
Portugal
We have "EC Cards" that use & pin and are accepted by most stores but unless its a very big international chain like Zara or H&M they dont accept credit cards. barely anyone i know has a credit card unless its a person who travels a lot.

a credit card for germans means = i dont have the money but i still want something so i buy it anyway even though i dont know exactly when i can pay it off lol

it always feels amazing when i go back to spain and can pay with credit cards at a bar or even at mc donalds lol *mind blown*

Aren't debit cards in 'schland?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.