Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

minkeygirl

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 25, 2012
I want to sell my Macbook which I replaced when I got sick of the SBBOD.

I did a 7-pass erase on the main drive which I think deletes all the partitions thinking that would take care of SBBOD problem.

I have reinstalled and erased the OSX (Leopard) at least 5 times (I forgot information I needed to sell it) but this last time I got the SBBOD when I was setting up the Wifi Connection.

I'm hoping it was just "thinking" and that anything that caused the problem was gone.

One other odd thing was I looked in Finder and in one folder there were a bunch of Quicktime Player files that never opened. I have no clue what those were or if they are supposed to be there.

Any thoughts? Thanks

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
If you erased the drive and did a clean install of Leopard and you are getting beach balls, it is very possible you have a bad hard drive there. It is less common, but a bad drive cable can also cause this.

minkeygirl

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 25, 2012
Sbbod

I ran the program that checked the hard drive and it passed. It passed all the tests.

It only did it the last time when setting up Wifi during install and only for a few seconds vs minutes like before.

It didn't do it when I was messing around on the computer after setup.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
I ran the program that checked the hard drive and it passed. It passed all the tests.

It only did it the last time when setting up Wifi during install and only for a few seconds vs minutes like before.

It didn't do it when I was messing around on the computer after setup.

I see... I thought you were getting beach balls during other normal usage. Yeah... that is odd to only get it when messing with that wifi setup.

minkeygirl

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 25, 2012
I originally was getting it all the time when I was using it. I got sick of it so upgraded to a MBP.

I thought erasing the data and partitions would take care of it. All tests were fine.

And like I said, I did the install about 5 times and it never did it, just this last time.

I just remembered I was setting up the wifi after it was installed from System Preferences. I was having problems because I kept putting in the password wrong. That's when I got the SBBOD.

So maybe that was it? My idiocy frustrated my computer? LOL

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.