Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

andyACEcandy

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2008
I tend to agree. I have no use for a tablet.

I have the latest MacBook Pro Retina and it goes everywhere with me. It'll be with me on the road/travel and it'll be near me at home at all times. There isn't a need for an iPad/tablet for me. First of all, I enjoy having a keyboard. Secondly, I enjoy feeling less constricted if I wanted to stream a video/movie from some random site and not have to worry about flash. I have a phone for that. Lastly, did I mention I have my MacBook Pro on my lap right now on the couch?

The only reason for a tablet IMO is if you don't have a laptop around you 24/7 like I do... and you travel a lot... and all you do is surf the web for basic stuff.

A tablet is a phone with a bigger screen. :eek:

ImacOP

macrumors newbie
Dec 29, 2013
Tablets have their uses, yet for those of us that actually need a computer a tablet is of questionable value. I bought an iPad just out of curiosity and it was entertaining. Then I bought a Nexus 7 tablet and found it to be much more useful since it's readily accessible file system let's me do more.

Yet at the end of the day my two most important tools are my Nexus 5 and MacBook Pro.

This sums up my thoughts. Especially when the iPhone gets a larger screen. I don't need/want 2 iOS devices. Its redundant. One mobile, one cpu plus airplay devices for external screens is just right.

My post is really meant to compliment how powerful phones are these days and highlight that iPads are the same thing with a larger screen. Try going to an apple store and telling me they don't preach that everyone needs an iPad. There line is "you'll be surprised how much you use it". Hear it 2-3 times every visit. They are pushing these while they can, but powerful phones are the minimalists dream, which aligns with apples usual approach to things; less clutter.

*if the MBP/MBair went to a detachable screen laptop/tablet hybrid this argument would be moot and it would be a no brainer go to for consumers ;)

----------

I tend to agree. I have no use for a tablet.

I have the latest MacBook Pro Retina and it goes everywhere with me. It'll be with me on the road/travel and it'll be near me at home at all times. There isn't a need for an iPad/tablet for me. First of all, I enjoy having a keyboard. Secondly, I enjoy feeling less constricted if I wanted to stream a video/movie from some random site and not have to worry about flash. I have a phone for that. Lastly, did I mention I have my MacBook Pro on my lap right now on the couch?

A tablet is a phone with a bigger screen. :eek:

This. Using an Apple Tv for desktop extension with a MBP for work or play is a dream, and the newer model MacBooks are as portable as the 1st gen iPads, but have a keyboard.

Last edited:

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I find my iPad very useful, as does the rest of my family with theirs.

FatPuppy

macrumors 68000
Jul 14, 2012
They're too big and awkward to use after using a smart phone. Being able to do everything one-handed is a huge convenience, and the only comfortable way to use a touch screen.

Your thread is useless.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
I bought one too, but I won't be buying another. Gimme a big screen mobile and that will be that for tablets (*for me).

A big screen mobile will not work for me as an all in one. OP has 6 people agreeing with him and then proclaims "I'm right". I totally get there are people who might have bought a tablet only to find FOR THEM, it is less useful than they thought. There are also people, who don't own who comment they are useless.

However, for whatever the reasonsing behind the sales of ipads, the sheer number of ipads apple sold since the beginning can't be ignored.

----------

This sums up my thoughts. Especially when the iPhone gets a larger screen. I don't need/want 2 iOS devices. Its redundant. One mobile, one cpu plus airplay devices for external screens is just right.

My post is really meant to compliment how powerful phones are these days and highlight that iPads are the same thing with a larger screen. Try going to an apple store and telling me they don't preach that everyone needs an iPad. There line is "you'll be surprised how much you use it". Hear it 2-3 times every visit. They are pushing these while they can, but powerful phones are the minimalists dream, which aligns with apples usual approach to things; less clutter.

*if the MBP/MBair went to a detachable screen laptop/tablet hybrid this argument would be moot and it would be a no brainer go to for consumers ;)

----------

This. Using an Apple Tv for desktop extension with a MBP for work or play is a dream, and the newer model MacBooks are as portable as the 1st gen iPads, but have a keyboard.

Ever see kids play with an ipad? A MacBook would be busted in three seconds. Plus a 1st gen ipad is very bulky compared to the latest ipad. Then there is the cost issue. Ignore the retina display you can pick up an ipad for much cheaper than a MacBook.

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
A big screen mobile will not work for me as an all in one. OP has 6 people agreeing with him and then proclaims "I'm right". I totally get there are people who might have bought a tablet only to find FOR THEM, it is less useful than they thought. There are also people, who don't own who comment they are useless.

However, for whatever the reasonsing behind the sales of ipads, the sheer number of ipads apple sold since the beginning can't be ignored.

----------

Ever see kids play with an ipad? A MacBook would be busted in three seconds. Plus a 1st gen ipad is very bulky compared to the latest ipad. Then there is the cost issue. Ignore the retina display you can pick up an ipad for much cheaper than a MacBook.

Yep, I can see the market for OAPs and kids. Pretty much everyone else, not so much.

ABC5S

Suspended
Sep 10, 2013
Florida
Based on the responses in this thread, I'd say you're wrong.

----------

Considering the vast majority of the posters agreed with me, I'd say you're wrong.

What a joke you are OP. "Based on the response remark"OP, Look up polls, and responses from doing a google search and you will quickly learn that no online polls or responses are any real gauge to the masses, but only a very, very small minute % of those on any forum, much, much less of the total of people in this case those that have tablets. Give it a break, and stop embarrassing yourself with this vast majority comment.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Like I mentioned earlier some companies have proprietary apps thats are iPad only. So it depends on the person if a tablet is a necessity or not. One COULD argue that you could probably replace that app with a pen and paper, but if we go that route then there is very little in this world that is a necessity aside from food and shelter.

Woochifer

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2007
I think it just depends on the person. For those of us with small children, believe me when I say the iPad is a GOD SEND. Not that we rely on it all the time, but there are times when you just need the kids to be quiet. The iPad is like a miracle worker in that sense.

Exactly. If you need a respite with a cranky toddler, the iPad works better than anything to calm them down.

Also, my daughter started using educational apps on the iPad well before she developed the motor skills to navigate a keyboard and mouse. One reason among many why our iPads get far more usage than our iMac, laptop, and other iOS devices combined at home.

Woochifer

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2007

----------

Yep, I don't get the notion that a tablet must be less useful than a PC or smartphone FOR EVERYONE. As an example, baby boomers are the second largest demographic group in the US, and they have begun exiting the workforce in large numbers. For them, a tablet meets most of their needs because after they retire they likely won't use productivity applications as often. They might keep that old desktop or laptop PC around for running legacy apps, but more and more of their everyday functionality can and will center around a tablet.

I already see this with my in-laws after they retired. Aside from their personal finance records stored on Quicken and occasional photo printing, they barely use their PC at all. They also have smartphones, but those are less than useful for a lot of functions because of their eyesight. The iPad has become their primary computing device.

As I said before, around the house, I use an iPad more than any other computing device. But, because I still work and sometimes need to work from home, I have a laptop. If I was retired? I doubt that laptop would get much use at all.

As for durability, totally true. I fried a laptop a few years ago when I spilled juice on the keyboard. And on another laptop, the USB port stopped working after my dog knocked over a table. We've already had numerous drops and spills on the iPad, with no harm done (just a bent shell around the connector from one incident that we had a local guy fix).

Last edited:

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
They're too big and awkward to use after using a smart phone. Being able to do everything one-handed is a huge convenience, and the only comfortable way to use a touch screen.

You it's not have used an iPad. No way I would have the patience to do what I do on my iPad on a tiny screened phone:p

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
You it's not have used an iPad. No way I would have the patience to do what I do on my iPad on a tiny screened phone:p

Sometimes I wonder if some people have actually used an iPad. For the longest time I used my iPhone for everything and thought the same way, basically "why would I want a big iPhone that can't make calls?". Then my employer gave me one and it was such a relief in doing everything. Its a necessity for me for work but knowing what I know now I'd purchase my own.

Gathomblipoob

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009
Was OP really really drunk at the time they posted this? I find my iPad to be extremely useful.

The OP has a history of threads such as this one. He's a chronic complainer as well. He did this on another forum though he denies it. I have the proof if he ever wants to go there. :D

The Doctor11

macrumors 603
Dec 15, 2013
New York
Bumping an old thread with a new question: if the upcoming iPhone 6 released has a larger screen, then will there really be a need for a tablet (outside of some specific applications)?

My thoughts:

-no iPad screen is really big enough to use for a media consumption device that a larger iPhone wouldn't satisfy

-its easier/more efficient/cheaper to only have one network connected mobile

-between mbp/iphone 6 (with larger screen)/apple tv3 and multiple external displays, whats the point of a tablet?

I see how for business and presentation, iPads make sense sometimes. And perhaps for the cave people who do not need an actual computer, a tablet may be fine for general browsing etc. I believe one computer, a single mobile device, plus an airplay device for external screens is all anyone needs these days, with smartphones being so powerful (and the iPhone 6 screen being larger). Am I missing something?

I really don't think the iPad will ever be obsolete. Well until people get phones with 7.9 inch displays

tdale

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2013
Christchurch, N.Z.
What a bizarre thread.

A desktop is useless as its too big
A laptop is useless as its less powered, small screen
A tablet is useless as its less powered, small screen
A phone is useless as its less powered and a tiny screen.

In various use cases, one of the above is near perfect, whether you need power, screen size, portability. So, if you have a use case for each, you own each.
Same applies to a small fridge, medium fridge, large fridge, same goes for cars.

To state that a device is useless is silly and short sighted.

iPads sell. iPhones sell. Imagine if you can buy an iPad for $99 on contract?

I have an iPad Air, 128, Cellular. Do I use it heaps? No. But when I use it, its ideal. Im not carrying my rMBP outside to have a quiet one in the sun, nor to hospital where I was for a week a while back. iPad perfect. Do I sit here in my living room typing this post on my iPad? No, I am on my rMBP. If you have a use for a device, use it, otherwise no need to buy.

I personally feel a phablet is too big for a phone, and too small for a tablet, but many like it, so while its not me, its also not useless.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.