Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aharathi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 24, 2014
So i've been debating resetting my MBA to factory settings for a while and thought i'd ask here to see if it will accomplish what i'm trying to get out of it.

My SSD is 128gb and is about 55% full. The majority of storage is taken up by "other storage" (about 40 gigs are in other storage, while small amounts are in audio, video, documents).

I wanted to do a reset for two main reasons: 1) to hopefully get rid of the immense other storage allocation (i know some will still be there but the amount that its at seems too large) 2) just a general cleanse of my computer

All my files are stored on dropbox and I can transfer my programs after a fresh install of OSX. I've already looked into and used disk cleaning programs (omni disk sweeper, etc) but none have really worked in reducing other storage space. I've read many forum threads about it (here at macrumors and elsewhere) and still don't completely understand how to see / get rid of stuff in there.

When I check my folder size for my documents, applications, etc, it does not seem to be nearly as large as how much storage my computer is saying I've used.

TL;DR
Will a factory reset actually eliminate this "other storage" problem?

Thanks for reading and your help!

satcomer

Suspended
Feb 19, 2008
The Finger Lakes Region
The shareware WhatSize can help you find the big files. Plus if you have "Upgraded your OS X" instead of a fresh install then download the free application EtreCheck and use that to find Launch Daemons & Agents that are not compatible. This way you can find,update or delete those agents. This should help speed up your 'upgrade'.

aharathi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 24, 2014
wouldn't just doing a fresh install of the OS now (factory reset) just take care of all that?

In general I want to do one as well to get rid of stuff on my computer I'm not using to keep it tidy.

Anyone else having a problem with abnormally large other storage allocation?

leonw

macrumors member
Mar 20, 2011
at home
Well, I just received a brand new 13" mba. 128gb storage. Mavericks innstalled so about 120gb available. Preinstalled programs ( iWork, iLive etc) take about 8gb. So I should have at least 110gb left. But I only have 98gb left on my HD.
What is using 12gb of my disc space that I can't find out about? Is this normal?
Anyone who can help me out here? Thanks

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Well, I just received a brand new 13" mba. 128gb storage. Mavericks innstalled so about 120gb available. Preinstalled programs ( iWork, iLive etc) take about 8gb. So I should have at least 110gb left. But I only have 98gb left on my HD.
What is using 12gb of my disc space that I can't find out about? Is this normal?
Anyone who can help me out here? Thanks

If you select Macintosh HD in Finder then hit command-i to get info you will see the formatted capacity of your drive is actually ~120GB. So with the OS and apps you have installed around 98GB left sounds correct.

There is also a swap file you can't see that can take a few GB.

----------

wouldn't just doing a fresh install of the OS now (factory reset) just take care of all that?

In general I want to do one as well to get rid of stuff on my computer I'm not using to keep it tidy.

Anyone else having a problem with abnormally large other storage allocation?

Do the other readings on that storage graphic look correct? Sometimes the Spotlight index is corrupt and it causes those readings to be wrong.

To be sure, you can reindex Spotlight by running this command in Terminal.

Code:
sudo mdutil -E /

To answer your question though, yes if you don't mind going through the trouble a clean install would fix the Other problem (assuming it is not the index issue I mentioned).

leonw

macrumors member
Mar 20, 2011
at home
If you select Macintosh HD in Finder then hit command-i to get info you will see the formatted capacity of your drive is actually ~120GB. So with the OS and apps you have installed around 98GB left sounds correct.

There is also a swap file you can't see that can take a few GB.

Ok. I thought 128-OSX = 120gb. And then: 120- apps = 110gb.
My ignorance. Thanks for helping me out there. Now I can make my time machine backup for future clean installs.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.