Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Parasprite

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2013
Yup, magic mouse invokes the page swipe animation and works fine. With the trackpad the animation gets stuck halfway. After which the only thing the trackpad can do in Safari is left click and move the cursor. The tabs are all frozen.

That leaves out any graphics-related issues (unless they for some reason use a differently coded animation for it—I don't know why they would even do this).

By any chance do you have access to and can temporarily pair a second trackpad?

----------

Not for everyone, that's for sure...

I'll assume that you have all the relevant boxes checked (System Preferences->App Store)?

rxDPOdO.png

N19h7m4r3

macrumors 65816
Dec 15, 2012
That leaves out any graphics-related issues (unless they for some reason use a differently coded animation for it—I don't know why they would even do this).

By any chance do you have access to and can temporarily pair a second trackpad?

Sadly I do not have a second trackpad. Although googling my issue brings it up quite a bit on the apple support forums.

PocketSand11

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2014
~/
Apple also once again touts support for WebGL, which was included in prior seeds and allows users to view 3D content without the use of plug-ins.

I don't know why, but Google Images loads very slowly in the stable Safari 6 unless I enable WebGL or set my user agent to IE7 to force the basic version.

Parasprite

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2013
Sadly I do not have a second trackpad. Although googling my issue brings it up quite a bit on the apple support forums.

I might have thought might have been some sort of pairing issue since googling "back swipe safari magic mouse" brings up a few results, but googling "back swipe safari macbook" pulls up many more results related to freezing. It could be a graphics or caching issue, but I can't find any sort of consistency to everyone's reports so I can't say for certain. Although I did find at least one person saying this happened on the App Store as well (which would make sense since they probably use the same backend).

Only temporary workaround I can think of is to use BetterTouchTool to bypass the animation entirely (set it to press the Back/Forward button, similar to what Chrome does).

Edit: Do you happen to have the debug menu on, by chance?

Last edited:

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
Any word if this fixes the issue where Safari gets stuck loading 1/3 of the way through the progress bar?

Issue? Why are you speaking like if it was an widespread problem? Maybe, just maybe, you have a ****** connection and/or use apps like transmission, that when open always still your bandwidth. No?

(pedromcm.pm)
It's been there for ages, last time I heard someone say since Leopard or snow Leopard, I don't know about that, can't recall, but I have it for at least a few years and it doesn't get fixed.
Maybe it's the way I install OS X updates, I never ever started from scratch right from OS X 10.0 beta, I always upgraded.
But, I didn't get all the versions, my 'range' was from 10.0 b to 10.5.11 on my Powerbook, then I bought a Mini with OS X 10.8 (*imported all settings and files manually) on it and on 10.10 b4 now, still the same.

Guess it's time to try a complete new install.

* I Dont trust Migration assistant.

grundoon

macrumors member
Feb 2, 2013
I'll assume that you have all the relevant boxes checked (System Preferences->App Store)?

Those options apply only to how update checks and installs are handled - manually or automatically. They should have no effect on whether one is *offered* an available update to an installed app when checking. (Note that 7.1 seed 1 *is* installed, yet the the only Safari update being offered is for release series.)

Parasprite

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2013
Those options apply only to how update checks and installs are handled - manually or automatically. They should have no effect on whether one is *offered* an available update to an installed app when checking. (Note that 7.1 seed 1 *is* installed, yet the the only Safari update being offered is for release series.)

The OP seemed to be implying that OS X didn't auto update Safari, I assumed you were commenting on the same. My apology.

Mr. Wonderful

macrumors 6502a
Feb 19, 2009
Issue? Why are you speaking like if it was an widespread problem? Maybe, just maybe, you have a ****** connection and/or use apps like transmission, that when open always still your bandwidth. No?

It's actually a well-documented and pretty well known issue.

N19h7m4r3

macrumors 65816
Dec 15, 2012
I might have thought might have been some sort of pairing issue since googling "back swipe safari magic mouse" brings up a few results, but googling "back swipe safari macbook" pulls up many more results related to freezing. It could be a graphics or caching issue, but I can't find any sort of consistency to everyone's reports so I can't say for certain. Although I did find at least one person saying this happened on the App Store as well (which would make sense since they probably use the same backend).

Only temporary workaround I can think of is to use BetterTouchTool to bypass the animation entirely (set it to press the Back/Forward button, similar to what Chrome does).

Edit: Do you happen to have the debug menu on, by chance?

I do not no. I haven't installed the dev version, which is why I asked if it happened to be fixed.

Mr. Wonderful

macrumors 6502a
Feb 19, 2009
It is a very irritating problem in Mavericks. In Yosemite, (Safari 8) I haven't had that problem.

That's almost enough reason for me to go to the Beta.

Here's hoping 7.1 fixes it, but I have a feeling it's an OS/firmware level issue, and not actually a Safari problem, given the general network latency problems Mavericks has had.

coolfactor

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Any word if this fixes the issue where Safari gets stuck loading 1/3 of the way through the progress bar?

Browsers behave differently, that's a given.

1. Is this problem happening in other browsers?
  2. Is it happening only with certain websites?

Most likely, whatever website you are seeing this problem with has some slow-loading assets or non-existent assets. For example, a browser will "stall" if it tries to load an image from an invalid domain name, since it takes extra time to attempt resolve the domain name through several upstream DNS nameservers.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.