Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Jul 26, 2014, 12:50 PM   #76
bushman4
macrumors 65816

802.11ac is a likely feature as we've all ready seen a couple new Applebproducts carry it
As for the NFC, it's really hard to say
bushman4 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2014, 12:53 PM   #77
Applefan 2013
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by diddl14 View Post
Next up: the screws that hold the thing together.
Screws are SO last year...We'll be seeing the adhesive instead!
Applefan 2013 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2014, 12:55 PM   #78
Pakaku
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by diddl14 View Post
Next up: the screws that hold the thing together.
"Introducing the iPhone 6G; the G is for Glue."
Old Jul 26, 2014, 01:00 PM   #79
SactoGuy18
macrumors 68020

Send a message via Yahoo to SactoGuy18
Remember what I said earlier:

1. There are rumors that Apple has signed a major deal for mobile payments with China UnionPay.

2. The Japanese and South Korean cellphone carriers want NFC on the iPhone 6 because NFC mobile payments are widely used in these two countries.

3. The group behind the (formerly named) ISIS mobile payment system wants Apple to put NFC on the newest iPhone models to expedite fast rollout of mobile payments in the USA.

Besides, nobody is interested in doing mobile payments using Bluetooth 4.0 (LE), since the range or Bluetooth 4.0 makes it highly vulnerable to potential hacking. NFC's extremely short range (only a few centimeters!) is a more viable (and definitely more mature) solution for mobile payments by cellphone.
Old Jul 26, 2014, 01:05 PM   #80
niji
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanegashima View Post
It's already on the iPad Air
no.

iPad Air:
Wi-Fi (802.11a/b/g/n); dual channel (2.4GHz and 5GHz) and MIMO
niji is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2014, 01:05 PM   #81
MacSince1990
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by troop231 View Post
Am I the only one who's more excited for 802.11ac instead of NFC?
Don't much care about either. What do you need a network speed of... honestly 802.11b would be enough. All right, maybe g/n for range.

For a computer network I get it, but an iPhone? lol.
Old Jul 26, 2014, 01:09 PM   #82
macbookfan
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kd5jos View Post
Over NFC? How does that work?
http://bit.ly/Ai1xr2
macbookfan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2014, 01:10 PM   #83
CrazyForApple
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to CrazyForApple
Seems about right
CrazyForApple is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2014, 01:11 PM   #84
mj1108
macrumors 6502

Really nothing earth-shattering here, as these would be expected.
mj1108 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2014, 01:12 PM   #85
jlabute
macrumors regular

I like 802.11ac more than nfc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serban View Post
Wifi ac with the TC and beamforming technology you will be getting up to 1 Gb data transfer if you have that much on your provider
so yes i hope for both wifi ac and nfc..but if just one will be in, i choose wifi over nfc
NFC should be a simple addition to iOS and the hardware. I rarely use NFC at this time but who knows what sort of application could make it popular. Don't restrict hardware since it can be shut off in the OS. I've done the bump and exchange of pictures etc. I don't think developers should be restricted. I'd hope for ip67 waterproof dustproof rating too and HD audio. Hard to tell from just PCB layouts. Since WiFi is all through my city... 99.9% of the time I don't need data service through a carrier so bring on the WiFi performance. Too bad ISPs suck.
jlabute is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2014, 01:21 PM   #86
Skika
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedromcm.pm View Post
What? Are you high?

It doesn't take a masters in physics to realize that everything related with WIFI will get a boost, no?
OK like what? Internet speeds for most people aren't even close to that, also iPhone's nand flash isn't even capable of ac speeds.

So?
Old Jul 26, 2014, 01:25 PM   #87
Stroodle88
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by kd5jos View Post
Over NFC? How does that work?
I think the poster meant more excited about the new wifi compared to NFC.
Stroodle88 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2014, 01:37 PM   #88
Eadfrith
macrumors 6502

NFC needs Apple
Eadfrith is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2014, 01:44 PM   #89
stuffradio
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cougarcat View Post
If true, between the larger screens and NFC Schiller's going to have some explaining to do..

Not your internet speeds...
He didn't say anything about internet speeds.
stuffradio is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2014, 01:51 PM   #90
iSee
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by I like bananas View Post
I could NFC happening. Especially if the "Mobile Wallet" rumors are true.
For an active device (powered, that is), NFC doesn't really have technical advantages over low energy bluetooth... which the iPhone already has.

And NFC-based payment systems don't seem to be successful enough to force Apple's hand.

As far as I can tell, it just doesn't make sense to ever add NFC to iPhones. So, I doubt this source.
Old Jul 26, 2014, 01:57 PM   #91
Dwalls90
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNTCCB View Post
It is the newest WiFi standard. Its much faster the 802.11n
But in reality, it won't matter. 802.11n can reach 300+Mbps, which is almost 40 mega BYTES of data. Almost no consumer provider can give us these WiFi speeds, and these are theoretical based on lots of factors.

I wish ac provided more real-world advantages over n, but until (at least in the US) broadband internet speeds pick up the pace, the improvement won't be realized.
Old Jul 26, 2014, 01:59 PM   #92
Futurix
macrumors regular

Aha, so the logo cut out in iPhone 6 is for NFC!
Futurix is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2014, 02:01 PM   #93
TrickyTree1984
macrumors regular

Cutting edge stuff!

Posted from my Nexus 5 with ac wireless and NFC
TrickyTree1984 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2014, 02:01 PM   #94
Shaun, UK
macrumors 68000

Any signs of wireless inductive charging capability? That's one thing I would really like to see given the amount of time my iPhone sits on charge.
Shaun, UK is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2014, 02:05 PM   #95
bushman4
macrumors 65816

Visa this week has announced Visa Digital Solutions. Timing seems perfect for an alliance with Apple
bushman4 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2014, 02:05 PM   #96
iSee
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigchrisfgb View Post
I think the initial aim was to use Bluetooth LTE for mobile payments, however that technology seems to be for location based services. NFC is already in a huge % of card readers, chains very rarely update their hardware so having to change to bluetooth let readers would have been a huge stumbling block. Just after the 2012 Olympics Visa were pretty much begging Apple to bring out an NFC iPhone to push NFC usage. Since Apple have reportedly been in discussions with payment companies like Visa then I could see the likes of Visa only working with them if they use NFC as the means for mobile payments. This is likely the reason why NFC is almost certain to have NFC and why the 5 and 5s didn't.
I don't see it. NFC-based payment networks haven't been successful, so why would Apple try to prop them up (and give up a precious 1/10mm or whatever of iPhone thickness to accommodate the antenna)?
Old Jul 26, 2014, 02:10 PM   #97
Nismo73
macrumors 6502

So a 5s with touch ID would not be able to do mobile payments since it doesn't have NFC, or is it not going to matter???
Nismo73 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2014, 02:19 PM   #98
Cougarcat
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuffradio View Post
He didn't say anything about internet speeds.
He said that everything related to wifi will be faster, which is wrong. In fact, as another poster pointed out, it won't be faster at all due to the speed limitations of NAND flash. It will be good for improved battery life but that's it.
Cougarcat is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2014, 02:22 PM   #99
name99
macrumors regular

HERE is why Apple added this

Quote:
Originally Posted by troop231 View Post
Am I the only one who's more excited for 802.11ac instead of NFC?
NFC has been added because it NOW (unlike three years ago, say) actually has a use case --- and that use case is not "wallets" and "payment schemes".

There is a pairing standard for BlueTooth whereby new BT devices can pair with a phone simply by NFC contact, so basically tapping the BT device against the phone.
http://www.ti.com/lit/an/sloa187/sloa187.pdf

The same thing is coming to WiFi (I don't know if it's yet officially part of the spec) to make it easier to connect "Internet of Things" devices without any UI mechanism to WiFi networks.

IMHO it is THIS that has persuaded Apple that it now finally makes sense to add NFC, because you can now do something useful with it.
name99 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2014, 02:34 PM   #100
name99
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwalls90 View Post
But in reality, it won't matter. 802.11n can reach 300+Mbps, which is almost 40 mega BYTES of data. Almost no consumer provider can give us these WiFi speeds, and these are theoretical based on lots of factors.

I wish ac provided more real-world advantages over n, but until (at least in the US) broadband internet speeds pick up the pace, the improvement won't be realized.
Look, if you're not an expert on these issues, you're not adding to the discussion by throwing out uniformed opinion.

(a) The fact that you have slow internet at your house does not change the fact that there are OTHER usage scenarios that can utilize higher bandwidth. One set set of these is public situations (for example conferences, workplaces) where base stations try to connect to every device as fast as possible, and where high internet bandwidth has been arranged.

(b) Adding to (a) there are features in 802.11ac that further improve the conference type situation by allowing multiple devices to communicate simultaneously with a single base station. These features (MU-MIMO) may or may not be part of the new iPhones, we don't know yet. (Broadcom announced some months ago that they will have an MU-MIMO phone chipset ready in a few months, but gave no more details. It is not inconceivable that Apple has arranged to be the first purchaser of that chipset.)

(c) Adding to (b) there are features in 802.11ac (in particular beam-forming) that allow you to maintain higher bandwidth at much larger distances (or through thicker walls) than 802.11n. There are plenty of people constantly whining about how 802.11 gives them lousy speeds in their basements or gardens or whatever, who will see improvements from 802.11ac.

Louis CK does a whole routine about how people who don't have a clue how cellphones work feel happy to complain about how lousy they are. But whenever 802.11ac comes up, we see something even weirder --- a chorus of people saying "I don't want it to get better, nothing should change, all the engineers are stupid for trying to improve WiFi".
I mean, seriously, WTF? What is driving these bizarre complaints?
name99 is offline   7 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion