Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Jul 26, 2014, 06:28 AM   #151
roadbloc
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by xVeinx View Post
Right. Piracy is always the answer...
Not really piracy if the OP has legitimate access to the beta. Its just downloading it elsewhere.
Old Jul 26, 2014, 07:23 AM   #152
oopsroger
macrumors member

finally worked

After failing numerous times, I tried this: I kept an eye on the downloading speed. Whenever the estimated time of finish started to skyrocket, I manually pause download and restart moments later. I didn't set DNS or use a VPN.
Old Jul 26, 2014, 01:09 PM   #153
jMunar
macrumors newbie

After getting the error code so many times at launch, I just waited until this morning and it finally downloaded and installed in 20 mins all together. Probably the west coast servers were so saturated it was giving all the west coast people problems.

So far Yosemite is great! love dark mode.
Old Jul 26, 2014, 02:52 PM   #154
xVeinx
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadbloc View Post
Not really piracy if the OP has legitimate access to the beta. Its just downloading it elsewhere.
The original quote (before he adjusted it) would have made my comment make more sense. I see your point however.
Old Jul 26, 2014, 04:51 PM   #155
MMANN113
macrumors member

Mavericks is great! I think I'll just wait until the "finished" version is released in the fall. But I'm not a dev so i shouldn't talk.
MMANN113 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2014, 04:54 PM   #156
theloon
macrumors member

Dullest of dull threads

Yeah .... lets all talk about how 'foo' does not download from 'bar' for the first 24 hours of releasing new shiny 'insert desired metasyntactic variable'
theloon is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2014, 06:06 PM   #157
bkinn
macrumors newbie

I read online about this issue to plug into Ethernet. I tried that and it worked perfectly on the 1st try.
bkinn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2014, 12:20 AM   #158
Amazing Iceman
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4jasontv View Post
Century Link
Try using a different DNS server, like OpenDNS and Google, just to test if it makes any difference.
That is, unless you suspect your bandwidth is not stable.
Old Jul 28, 2014, 06:26 AM   #159
KiwiAdventure
macrumors regular

Yosemite Safari is so much faster than Mavericks Safari on my 2013 13" MacBook Air. I'm using my 13" 2009 MacBook Pro for Yosemite.
KiwiAdventure is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2014, 09:11 PM   #160
SilverGhost
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by markgpearse View Post
I thought my download attempts had failed too. What I didn't realize was that after my first click on the redemption code it was actually downloading to Launchpad. Launchpad did not open on top.

For those that are having problems, check Launchpad and see if something is there. The installation gets launched from Launchpad.
Yup, that was it. It was sitting, paused, in Launchpad.
THANKS (I Think)
SilverGhost is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2014, 11:58 PM   #161
Jacksonc
Banned

It never worked for me until I downloaded Mavericks and Yosemite at the same time, and then it worked perfectly.
Jacksonc is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2014, 10:06 AM   #162
janitor3
macrumors regular

Downloaded it as soon as became available last week. Downloaded right away, no problems. Installed it on a partition on my macbook pro,so far no serious problems have arisen.

p.s.- Received an e-mail this morning from Apple inviting me to try out Yosemite Beta.
janitor3 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2014, 03:00 PM   #163
TriforceofTime
macrumors newbie

My Internet is pretty bad, because of poor coverage of Verizon's internet in my area. (I am in the US) And so the download took around 26~ hours. Or at least it would have. One hour before it was finished, the download failed, and all that over 4GB of downloaded data was gone when I tried again. The same thing happened this morning.
Old Aug 1, 2014, 09:33 PM   #164
4jasontv
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amazing Iceman View Post
Try using a different DNS server, like OpenDNS and Google, just to test if it makes any difference.
That is, unless you suspect your bandwidth is not stable.
Already use them.
4jasontv is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2014, 07:19 PM   #165
Amazing Iceman
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Already use them.
Then it's your ISP not being reliable or not having a good relationship with certain peering points.

http://www.dslreports.com/comments/1519
Old Aug 3, 2014, 09:18 AM   #166
4jasontv
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amazing Iceman View Post
Then it's your ISP not being reliable or not having a good relationship with certain peering points.

http://www.dslreports.com/comments/1519
My ISP doesn't care because they don't have to keep me happy. Just my HOA. They have a contract to be the only ISP for my community.
4jasontv is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2014, 11:41 AM   #167
Amazing Iceman
macrumors 68030

Quote:
My ISP doesn't care because they don't have to keep me happy. Just my HOA. They have a contract to be the only ISP for my community.
Gather your neighbors who agree with you and face the HOA together.
Years ago the City of Coral Springs had only one approved ISP, which was terrible! So I decided to move to a different city where Comcast was available.
Old Aug 6, 2014, 06:34 PM   #168
tywebb13
macrumors 65816

It took me about 1 second to redeem a code for DP1 and 1 second to redeem one for DP5 from the mac dev center - and about 2 and a half hours of fighting all the glitches on the public beta website to finally redeem a code for PB1!

I think it has more to do with website design than anything pertaining to yosemite, per se.

The ios dev center and mac os dev center seem to be designed by professionals and the public beta one seems to have been designed by amateurs.

The public one needs to be more professionally designed, like the developer ones if this disaster is not to be repeated for a possible PB2 release, or GM public beta testers release.

I am not suggesting the public be given access to all the developer resources, just that the public website be redesigned so as to not be beset by all the glitches.

If apple really want more beta testers by giving some builds to the public, then they can't continue to have a website with all the glitches which effectively prevents the public from accessing those builds.
tywebb13 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion