Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

garyofcourse

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 26, 2014
I am looking for an email app on the ipad other than the default 'mail' app. A lot of names show up in google, but I am having a hard time figuring out which ones read your email and which ones don't. Some of these apps read your email on their server in order to provide a better experience, such as better sorting capability, but I don't want to give a third party access to my email. So I basically want an app that is just an IMAP client.. it downloads email to my ipad without the app developer reading/scanning it. On my phone (Android) I use k9 for this, which is open source, but there is no version of k9 for ios. Can any of you recommend an ipad app that will do the job? I'm thinking almost anything will look better than the default 'mail' app.

csixty4

macrumors regular
Apr 8, 2010
Somerville, MA
I have a hard time recommending email programs because email is so personal. But I liked Birdseye Mail when I tried it. It has a Coverflow-like interface so you can go through and delete the crap you don't want read right from your inbox.

Primejimbo

macrumors 68040
Aug 10, 2008
Around
What's wrong with the default iPad app? If you're that worried about a 3rd party app reading your email, the default app is probably the best then.

garyofcourse

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 26, 2014
@csixty4 : Thanks for the recommendation. I can't tell yet if they are just a client (which is what I want), or scan your email on there server before passing on to the user, but I'll keep digging.

@Primejimbo: The default ipad app does the bare minimum, and I am currently using it, so it does work. However there are 2 major issues:
i) The search functionality in the app is really terrible. It as almost as good as not having a search. You can't even tell it to search for emails from a specific person (such as from: garyofcourse), so I need to grab my laptop whenever I want to search for an email real quick.
ii) The interface isn't that great - I can live with boring interface and care more about the functionality, but if there is something out there that is prettier or more slick I would go for it.

I figured the default ipad app cannot be the only one that doesn't mine the user's data from the emails, there must be other good apps that provide better search and a slicker interface, but without storing your emails on their server or mining your data.

saberahul

macrumors 68040
Nov 6, 2008
USA
The one I use and like a lot if Cloudmagic (has awesome search). Not sure if it stores emails or not but you can look that up.

Suspended
Mar 15, 2008
The one I use and like a lot if Cloudmagic (has awesome search). Not sure if it stores emails or not but you can look that up.

I think it does because it requires a cloudmagic account. I tried it and I actually really like it but it's missing the ability to create aliases which is super important to me.

saberahul

macrumors 68040
Nov 6, 2008
USA
I think it does because it requires a cloudmagic account. I tried it and I actually really like it but it's missing the ability to create aliases which is super important to me.

True - forgot about that.

gohoomoa

macrumors member
Sep 5, 2010
ipad email client app

I am using Acompli, the reason i am using 3rd part email app is the ability to attach files from dropbox, box.,, etc when i reply to emails which is important feature to me, also gmail push is needed which is not that precise in the native email app

The downside of Acompli is it's only designed for iphone in the mean time, i am using Boxers for ipad which does the same thing.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.