Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple may be planning to launch a slightly refreshed line of 15-inch Retina MacBook Pros complete with faster Haswell processors and 16GB of RAM standard, according to a photo said to have come from the company's Chongqing, China store (via BBS Feng, Google Translate).

mbp_retina_late_2014_chart-800x600.jpg

The purported pricing chart shows two standard configurations priced at 14,288 yuan and 18,688 yuan, which is the same as Apple's current pricing for its 15-inch notebook line in China. If real, this pricing chart would indicate that Apple would keep its current pricing instead of offering each new model for less as done for the MacBook Air earlier this year.

The first configuration comes with a faster Intel Core i7 2.2 GHz processor and 16GB of RAM standard compared to the current 2.0 GHz Intel Core i7 and 8GB of RAM found on the current base model 15-inch Retina MacBook Pro. Meanwhile, the second configuration features a 2.5 GHz Intel Core i7 processor and the same 16GB of RAM, up from the current 2.3 GHz Intel Core i7 processor. Both models feature the same graphics, with the first configuration coming with Intel's Iris Pro graphics and the second coming with both the Iris Pro and NVIDIA's GeForce GT 750M.

A third high-end configuration priced at 23,688 yuan also appears on the chart, boasting a 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 processor, 16GB of RAM, 1TB of flash storage, and Intel's Iris Pro graphics plus a NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M.

All of the processors listed on the chart correspond to Intel's new line of Core i7 Haswell processors launched last week, perhaps indicating that an updated 15-inch Retina MacBook Pro line may be imminent. Apple's line of 13-inch Retina MacBook Pros should also see an update in the near future, as Intel also launched new Core i5 Haswell processors alongside its refreshed i7 Haswell chips.

A minor refresh of the Retina MacBook Pro line was originally noted earlier this year alongside a rumored 12-inch Retina MacBook. According to the latest reports, the 12-inch Retina MacBook may be pushed back to next year because of Intel's delayed Broadwell chips.

Article Link: Chart Suggests Speed-Bumped 15-Inch Retina MacBook Pros with 16GB of RAM Standard Coming Soon

Last edited:

zedsdead

macrumors 68040
Jun 20, 2007
I am sure the 13" will follow a similar pattern and likely be released alongside the 15".

Glad I picked up the Haswell 13" last Christmas. The model is definitely holding its longevity.

As for the price drop, that already occurred last year with the Ivy Bridge Spec Bump and Price Drop (and with the Iris Pro only version on the 15"). Don't expect another price drop for a while.

Although, with these machines being released, the current models in the refurb store and other outlets should drop which will be a great deal.

The Broadwell models will be a nice bump, but I will not upgrade until Skylake at the earliest (hopefully finally getting a quad-core in the 13" model). The Broadwell Macbook Air however does intrigue me however.

TallGuyGT

macrumors 6502
Aug 8, 2011
NYC
This doesn't make much sense. I'd expect the minor refresh this year to include nVidia 800 series chips. That's the only significant upgrade they could really make until Intel ships Broadwell.

Serban

Suspended
Jan 8, 2013
On the 13" they just made a more affordable configuration that's all
But i am surprising that they will make an upgrade and no 850M

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
Does this mean we may get a 32GB RAM option now if they come stock with 16GB?
How many chips fit on the logic board? I would not expect that until DDR4 hits the mainstream platform. If you want 32 GB on other notebooks you are looking at 4 SO-DIMMs.

quagmire

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2004
Apple must know mobile Broadwell chips will be coming out in the Fall or they may as well put the 800M series in the MBP's as well.

GoneDrinkin

macrumors regular
Jul 5, 2014
The base 13" model was downgraded from 8 GB to 4 GB, so I don't think that's likely

Tbh I'd sooner expect 8GB standard than a €/$100 price drop. They need to keep the Air and Pro separate, and a price drop would have more opting for the better Pro. I'm hoping they make the entry model 8GB standard, as well as 256SSD -but that's me being very optimistic on the latter!

iphonetic

macrumors member
Jun 2, 2010
How many chips fit on the logic board? I would not expect that until DDR4 hits the mainstream platform. If you want 32 GB on other notebooks you are looking at 4 SO-DIMMs.

I don't think 32GB of Ram is physically possible on the rMBP at this time. It would only become possible with DDR4

What's the point of giving everyone 16GB for "free" then if most people aren't going to use it? This is Apple we're talking about.

wizard

macrumors 68040
May 29, 2003
Does this mean we may get a 32GB RAM option now if they come stock with 16GB?

One could only hope. It is interesting that they are focusing on a RAM upgrade here to provide real value with this bump. The enhanced Intel processors are hardly worth the time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.