Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Serban

Suspended
Jan 8, 2013
Maybe from broadwell they don't need an iGPU thanks to its increase HD 6000..but for iMacs and Mac PRO they still need the Geforce dGPU and (AMD) for Mac pro

MellowFuzz

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2013
...what kind of update is the magic mouse supposed to get? A better processor?

The iPod lines sales numbers are a clear reason why unless there is a significant paradigm shift, there is nothing that warrants upgrading the line.

As for the rest, these are products that will likely be updated by the holiday season.

Tragic Mouse needs a redesign. Using it is unpleasant - not as bad as the hockey puck mouse but pretty darn close. The lid that is supposed to keep the battery covered is terrible.

The iPod lines - at least they could update the Nano user interface to match everything else. And the packaging.

For the past 5+ years, only a fool with way too much money and little sense would have bought a Thunderbolt display. It's such a bad value proposition!

Apple TV is such meh product - a lump of stuff that adds clutter to the living room for little upside.

MikhailT

macrumors 601
Nov 12, 2007
Apple must know mobile Broadwell chips will be coming out in the Fall or they may as well put the 800M series in the MBP's as well.

The mobile Broadwell chips has been postponed to mid 2015, it's not coming out this year, period.

Mobile components should roll out long before the desktop and unlocked desktop parts. Skylake desktop comes alongside Broadwell in mid-2015.

http://wccftech.com/intel-broadwell-processors-delayed-arriving-july-2015/

You do realize your own link confirms the mobile chips that Apple uses will be out in Feb, 2015?

Core M is for the tablets, the U-series is what Apple uses in their mobile lineup and that link says Feb, 2015.

All I wanted was an 850M... Not even Broadwell just an 850M.
Never mind, Broadwell must be the slowest chip launch in Intel's history, it's like they are deliberately slowing developing :roll eyes:.

That's actually very much possible that Intel is intentionally delaying it. Remember, each fab upgrade cost billions of dollars. Intel wants and need to break even on the upgrade before they go to the next fab upgrade.

The PC market is shrinking, so Intel is losing a lot of money and therefore, they really have no incentive to rush to the next upgrade.

I wouldn't be surprised if Intel is doing just that, to postpone as much as possible to grab any money they can get. It's just smart business on their side, it sucks for us but there's not much anybody can do. The smaller these things get, the more incredibly expensive it gets to produce them.

gadgetgirl85

macrumors 68040
Mar 24, 2006
This doesn't even make me feel that bad after buying the current model 2 weeks ago...

Probably still would have waited if I knew that they were coming soon, but who knows how long it'll take for these to come out.

Yep got mine 5 weeks ago. I'm not too sad if these updates are true.

quagmire

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2004
The mobile Broadwell chips has been postponed to mid 2015, it's not coming out this year, period.

Oh it has? I knew desktop Broadwell was mid-2015, but thought mobile was still on track for fall.

So yeah, why isn't Apple putting in the 800M series then? Seriously going to let the 750M soldier on for two years? Unlike the 870M/880M, the 850M/860M are Maxwells which give a decent boost in performance.

Reaper31292

macrumors newbie
Jul 27, 2014
No GTX 850m means no more Apple laptops for me, at least not for a very long time. The upgraded GPU was literally the only thing I was looking forward to. Hopefully they'll add upgraded GPUs as a customization option? Doubtful. :(

macrumors 601
May 19, 2011
Good move. The MacBook Pro (especially 15") should not come with less than 16GB of RAM as standard for what you pay and for the likelihood of what the computer will be used for. Especially as the RAM is totally un-upgradeable in the rMBP. I currently own an 8GB rMBP and I've got to say, I won't be buying a computer with less than 16GB of RAM as my main machine again. I rushed out to get whatever I could afford rather than waiting a few more pay cheques and getting something a bit more future proof.

jbellanca

macrumors 6502
Jul 2, 2007

You do realize your own link confirms the mobile chips that Apple uses will be out in Feb, 2015?

Core M is for the tablets, the U-series is what Apple uses in their mobile lineup and that link says Feb, 2015.

According to this, they're supposed to ship this holiday season:

https://www.macrumors.com/2014/05/19/intel-broadwell-holiday-season/

Quoted from the original article:

In detail, this paper indicated that the processors that power the MacBook Air (15 W series U) will arrive in the fourth quarter. Processors in the MacBook Pro Retina 13 " (W 28 series U) and those MBPr 15 "(H series) would not be available until early next year, meanwhile.​

Still, they could have easily slipped into 2015.

iLilana

macrumors 6502a
May 5, 2003
Alberta, Canada
things i hope

*they come soon

*iMac update and price drop

or

*I can make enough money to buy a macpro (1tbssd on board, 6 or better core) before I die of old age

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
How many chips fit on the logic board? I would not expect that until DDR4 hits the mainstream platform. If you want 32 GB on other notebooks you are looking at 4 SO-DIMMs.

16GiB DDR3 SO-DIMMs just became available, but they are compatible with almost nothing unless you're lucky to get a firmare update for it.

dazed

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2007
Apple TV is such meh product - a lump of stuff that adds clutter to the living room for little upside.

Not for me. Use it all the time, perfect for streaming my library to my tvs and for netflix.

Agreed that most of the other "channels" on it appear pointless but I'm sure others may use them.

It seriously needs an sdk though. It has so much potential.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
So when do iOS devices get 2GB RAM and 32/64/128 at 16/32/64 prices? Or is that just a pipe dream?

Mattsasa

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2010
Minnesota
I am sure the 13" will follow a similar pattern and likely be released alongside the 15".

Glad I picked up the Haswell 13" last Christmas. The model is definitely holding its longevity.

As for the price drop, that already occurred last year with the Ivy Bridge Spec Bump and Price Drop (and with the Iris Pro only version on the 15"). Don't expect another price drop for a while.

Although, with these machines being released, the current models in the refurb store and other outlets should drop which will be a great deal.

The Broadwell models will be a nice bump, but I will not upgrade until Skylake at the earliest (hopefully finally getting a quad-core in the 13" model). The Broadwell Macbook Air however does intrigue me however.

Agreed. I also got a 13" last October. And It will have great longevity :) I was also not planning on upgrading until Skylake.

However, I will probably end up getting the core M retina MacBook Air now.
17-Inch please....
sorry bro

All I wanted was an 850M... Not even Broadwell just an 850M.
Never mind, Broadwell must be the slowest chip launch in Intel's history, it's like they are deliberately slowing developing :roll eyes:.

850M will come out in the next real hardware update. so broadwell, and who knows it could be 860M

and broadwell is definitely not the slowest chip launch in intel's history lol, even haswell has been longer than this. But Sandy bridge and many many many other chips in intel's history have been delayed, that is just how it is

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
This doesn't make much sense. I'd expect the minor refresh this year to include nVidia 800 series chips. That's the only significant upgrade they could really make until Intel ships Broadwell.

They have never updated gpus without cpus. In the notebooks this would mean real logic board changes, which they don't really do without new cpus. In late 2011 they did switch from a 6490m to 6750m and 6750m to 6770m, but they already had the specification worked out for the 6750m, and the 6770m was the same chip clocked around 15% higher.

17-Inch please....

I would really like to see that (typed from my 17" 2011 model), but I doubt it will happen. 15" is actually a very popular notebook size across brands. Apple's sales are supposedly skewed in favor of the 13", but I attribute that to pricing. Some people on here suggest they're more portable, yet I can pick up a 15" rmbp with one hand and toss it in a backpack. The weight difference is almost negligible.

16 GB across the board is a nice bump. That would really impact the value of the older models too.

The older models always drop. Apple has become more aggressive on refurbished pricing in recent years. This is combined with higher battery servicing costs on recent models and a higher availability of used macs compared to say the early 2000s. I can see one valid reason they would go this route. It would mean that it's cheaper for them to just solder the same chips in every logic board than offer 8 and 16GB options.

One could only hope. It is interesting that they are focusing on a RAM upgrade here to provide real value with this bump. The enhanced Intel processors are hardly worth the time.

I'm still skeptical about it myself, but note what I just mentioned. Apple likes to streamline things where possible. It would be especially true here with soldered chips, as they cannot just swap out memory modules from a given board.

Mobile components should roll out long before the desktop and unlocked desktop parts. Skylake desktop comes alongside Broadwell in mid-2015.

http://wccftech.com/intel-broadwell-processors-delayed-arriving-july-2015/

I wonder if they'll stay with that release schedule.

MikhailT

macrumors 601
Nov 12, 2007
Oh it has? I knew desktop Broadwell was mid-2015, but thought mobile was still on track for fall.

So yeah, why isn't Apple putting in the 800M series then? Seriously going to let the 750M soldier on for two years? Unlike the 870M/880M, the 850M/860M are Maxwells which give a decent boost in performance.

Pretty much because it's Apple, they have a history of doing this. Just look at Mac Mini, Mac Pro before the new one came out.

My guess is that they don't want to put the efforts of spending R&D on supporting Maxwell dGPUs on a minor spec bump and put all of the efforts on a much bigger upgrade next year. Broadwell, Maxwell, 1TB flash, 16GB and so on makes a far bigger splash at next year's WWDC than the smaller bump with Maxwell now. Who knows, they might even do a redesign for a thinner chassis due to the more efficient 14nm Broadwell chips and Maxwell, which also was designed to focus on battery life with hardware management.

According to this, they're supposed to ship this holiday season:

https://www.macrumors.com/2014/05/19/intel-broadwell-holiday-season/

Quoted from the original article:

In detail, this paper indicated that the processors that power the MacBook Air (15 W series U) will arrive in the fourth quarter. Processors in the MacBook Pro Retina 13 " (W 28 series U) and those MBPr 15 "(H series) would not be available until early next year, meanwhile.​

Still, they could have easily slipped into 2015.

Ok, your quote confirms what I just said. The U+H chips for the rMBPs wouldn't be available until early next year, except for the 15 W U chip that MBA uses. Since Apple already released a refresh update to their MBAs with a price cut, it is very unlikely they'd release another update later this year.

Oskar Tegby

macrumors newbie
Jul 27, 2014
"Apple's line of 13-inch Retina MacBook Pros should also see an update in the near future, as Intel also launched new Core i5 Haswell processors alongside its refreshed i7 Haswell chips."

Does anybody know what timeframe this usually implies, and when the updated version will be available for purchase in Europe? I'll buy a MBPr this quarter and I want to know whether I should wait or not.

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
16GiB DDR3 SO-DIMMs just became available, but they are compatible with almost nothing unless you're lucky to get a firmare update for it.

Disappointed that none of the ThinkPad W540 CPUs theoretically support 64GiB RAM according to Intel.

gim

macrumors 6502
Jul 27, 2014
I've been thinking the same thing, but I fear that it's more likely they won't.

Back to school program runs until early September.
I doubt that they're gonna let us wait the whole august for such a minor upgrade. Or at least I hope so.

The minor upgraded MacBook Air went on sale like 2 weeks after intel released the updated Haswell chips, so I hope there is a good chance for new MBP's within the next few weeks.

proline

macrumors 6502a
Nov 18, 2012
Tragic Mouse needs a redesign. Using it is unpleasant - not as bad as the hockey puck mouse but pretty darn close. The lid that is supposed to keep the battery covered is terrible.

The iPod lines - at least they could update the Nano user interface to match everything else. And the packaging.

For the past 5+ years, only a fool with way too much money and little sense would have bought a Thunderbolt display. It's such a bad value proposition!

LOL. Apple, despite Jobs death, is still a company that believes in FOCUS. Wasting engineering resources on a mouse when almost all of Apple's products are portables and there are TONS of 3rd party mice out there is just dumb. Ditto for displays. Apple will focus on the things that only Apple can do (note how 'only Apple' is Tim's favorite phrase).

P.S. You totally blow your credibility when you bring the Apple TV into this. Apple has put a huge amount of work into getting new content for that device- nearly every week there are new channels. It is far from abandoned and gets better every day.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.