Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ih8reno

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 10, 2012
Would a sata 3 ssd fit in a powermac g5? Almost bought one today but not sure about if it would work. Restocking fee if it doesn't

Thanks!

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Would a sata 3 ssd fit in a powermac g5? Almost bought one today but not sure about if it would work. Restocking fee if it doesn't

Thanks!

Will it fit, physically? Yes. You would need to secure it to something or get a caddy to put it in.

Will it work? No. PPC doesn't support SATA III drives for booting. You may be able to get it to work as a storage device. But you cannot install the OS on it and get it to boot.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
Some SATA 3 drives work correctly, if the drive has a SATA 2 compatibility mode. Most SATA 3 SSDs do not have this mode and thus cannot be used a PowerPC Mac's native SATA 1 ports.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Some SATA 3 drives work correctly, if the drive has a SATA 2 compatibility mode. Most SATA 3 SSDs do not have this mode and thus cannot be used a PowerPC Mac's native SATA 1 ports.

Which ones are they? I know that the Samsung's do not, through experience.

Ih8reno

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 10, 2012
I found a sata 2 owc 60gb in my area, so that would work

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
Will it fit, physically? Yes. You would need to secure it to something or get a caddy to put it in.

Will it work? No. PPC doesn't support SATA III drives for booting. You may be able to get it to work as a storage device. But you cannot install the OS on it and get it to boot.

Some SATA III SSDs are indeed compatible with PowerPC era Macs. There is nothing that isn't supported about them. Many have problems and since the most a PPC Mac ever shipped with was SATA I most people generally say stick with SATA I or II drives.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Some SATA III SSDs are indeed compatible with PowerPC era Macs. There is nothing that isn't supported about them. Many have problems and since the most a PPC Mac ever shipped with was SATA I most people generally say stick with SATA I or II drives.

Do you know which ones are supported? I'm interested to know, just for the sake of knowledge.

HarCees

macrumors member
Jul 15, 2013
Ok just saw this thread so I feel like I should give some input.

I run a SATA-3 SSD on my G5 as a boot drive and I know other that does as well. (dual boot Tiger and Lion)
Samsung Evo works, and I think the newer ones from Crucial works as well, but I can't confirm this. Anyway, stay away from the sandforce controller chip.

These days people have more than one computer at home, and therefore often at least one SSD, so it shouldn't be hard do find out other SSD's that are compatible.

EDIT: And no, Kinston SSDnow does not work.

Cox Orange

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2010
I know, it's been a few days, but...
Is this a mistake or do you really mean "Lion"?

A G5 (in other words PowerPC-Mac) and Lion is mutually exclusive. Just saying...

PS: on topic: I remembered there was a similar topic some days ago. I was talking about a bridge adapter that converts SATA-III to SATA-II, but I don't know which one it was. I guess you would have to find user "laterne" and ask him, because he found that adapter. (link to the topic discussed a few days ago: https://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=20216409#post20216409, there is also the link, where laterne mentioned that adapter, but I can't find it now.)

Last edited:

MacGuy1985

macrumors newbie
Nov 5, 2014

Thanks!

very few SATAIII drives work in powerPC macs, tracking one down would be hard

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.