Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Pikachu4170

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 24, 2013
I am downloading the OS X Yosemite Public Beta from the Mac App Store, but it seems to freeze at around 778MB for a few minutes.

After that, it continues downloading slowly until 786MB and then it bounces back to 778MB.

I resetted the download twice and it still seems to have the same issue.

Assuming it's my connection or the App Store's CDN or traffic?

(This was originally meant to be on Apple Support forums, but it was rejected due to beta material)

Last edited:

macrumors newbie
Apr 2, 2013
I'm having exactly the same issue, I've tried to download the beta on a MacBook and an iMac, both start the download fine and then stall at 778mb.

I've tried deleting the partially downloaded files and restarting the download, this hasn't solved the issue either. I've tried downloading the file with a different account and I still haven't had any success. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I really hope Apple sorts out the App store, it's always very slow and I've had problems with downloads from day one. My computers are fine and I have a decent internet connection so I think the problem is at Apples end.

Larry-K

macrumors 68000
Jun 28, 2011
Yeah, that system on a DVD thing was so inconvenient, much more fun downloading the system again and again.

Apple always acts like everybody is on the Apple Campus when it comes to downloads, and a lot of the time it's an excruciatingly tedious experience for real world users.

macrumors newbie
Apr 2, 2013
I managed to solve the issue by connecting to a different wireless network and resuming the hung download. I then paused the download and switched to the original network and the download proceeded without fault.

May I suggest that people try this and see if they have any luck? An alternative would be to use a wired connection although I haven't tested that method.

Pikachu4170

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 24, 2013
An alternative would be to use a wired connection although I haven't tested that method.

I mostly use a wired connection in my home for huge downloads as Wi-Fi can commonly have issues.

I was connected in a wired connection when I was downloading the beta and it has the effect. Maybe disconnect the wired connection and connect to wireless and back should do it. Also try changing IP address.

Pikachu4170

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 24, 2013
Got a reply from one of Apple Support's boys (Jeez, people are so lazy now-a-days). They say it's my network having issues.

But my connection is decent enough (~1 Megabyte/sec.) and can download the beta in ~2 hours.

Anybody think Apple's auto-response was incorrect?

Glynthomas86

macrumors newbie
Aug 15, 2014
I managed to solve the issue by connecting to a different wireless network and resuming the hung download. I then paused the download and switched to the original network and the download proceeded without fault.

May I suggest that people try this and see if they have any luck? An alternative would be to use a wired connection although I haven't tested that method.

This worked for me. I switched between wifi and my iPhone hotspot.

----------

Oh and thanks for the tip.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.